The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
69SCSS

Speedhut speedo wiring

Hey guys, I put a new set of gauges in my truck, and I'm having a weird issue with the speedo, and I wanted to double check the wiring. I have a 700R4 with VSS, with a black / purple wiring pigtail. Here is how I have it wired:

Purple - signal to speedo
Black - Ground to speedo

I am assuming from the pigtail that purple is the "high" side, and black is the "low" side. The speedhut wiring says to use the signal for the white lead and ground from the sender (or chassis ground) for the black.

Why am I asking? Because right now the speedo does this: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing

As you can see, the speedo is working OK, but the odometer is rolling about a mile every second. Over about 50mph the needle bounces like crazy. I have calibrated it a few times now, and no change. I am assuming the gauge is bad, I just want to make sure the wiring part is correct. I've been talking with Speedhut since thursday about this.

Anyone wire up a Speedhut speedo?

Last edited by 69SCSS; 10-19-2015 at 11:40 PM.
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Re: Speedhut speedo wiring

If you had the wires backwards I suspect it just wouldn't work at all. The odometer being uncoupled from the speedometer (odometer indicating speeds of like 700 mph while the spedo is mostly normal) sounds like a faulty gauge to me.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
If you had the wires backwards I suspect it just wouldn't work at all. The odometer being uncoupled from the speedometer (odometer indicating speeds of like 700 mph while the spedo is mostly normal) sounds like a faulty gauge to me.
Me too. They said it is signal interference, but I don't think that would seperate the odometer and speedo. That seems really unlikely, but they should know their gauges. I'll try the filter they are sending me and see if it helps. From what they said my wiring is correct.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Speedhut speedo wiring

I used the GPS speedometer. I have all their gauges installed and have had to call them a few times with questions. I like the gauges and all but they seem to be very touchy!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
69SCSS

Yea I noticed! Actually all the gauges work great EXCEPT the speedo!

So I installed the filter like they said, and now the gauge does very little. After a bit it did swing back and forth a few times, peg out at 120mph, swing back and forth and then go right back to 0. Wouldn't even let me do the calibration, just went back to the odometer after 5 seconds!

Yea, I think there might be something wrong with the gauge. But they look really good!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Speedhut speedo wiring

Nice set up! Here is mine. I wired mine and made pigtails from the dash to the main harness and just unplug it when I need to seperate it. Do you have the little voltage box in the wiring they send you? I wished they used heavier wires in their stuff but I guess it's ok.

Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote