The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
AJLChase

Got my compressor today!!!

But one question, how to I wire it up? My garage is running 220 but I've no clue how to get it hooked up to the the compressor. I've got a 60g IR from TSC. Is there a few parts I need to buy to hook it up to the outlet? I'm already running my millermatic 180 to it.

Also, I purchased this compressor mainly to learn how to do my own body work and paint...what are some of the first tools to purchase in order to start learning?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Re: Got my compressor today!!!

You'll want to check the required current for the compressor, and check the current rating of your 240 outlet and its breaker to make sure the compressor doesn't need more current than the circuit can provide.

240 wiring isn't too complicated, you just have 2 hot (120VAC) wires instead of one. These are typically black and red.
Then there's typically a ground, which is usually green.
Finally there may be a neutral, which is usually white.

Unfortunately, its tough to say absolutely what's going on with the wiring w/o seeing it. The compressor should have standard power leads, color coding, and some paperwork saying exactly what's what.

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 10-03-2010 at 12:07 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
AJLChase

Do I have to "hardwire" it? Or can I connect the wires into a plug and plug it into my outlet? My outlet I know is connected to a 50amp breaker? Or will I have to hardwire it to a whole new breaker?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
bigcow94
Snowfighter

you can use a dryer style plug and then just wire up a matching outlet in the wall. you'll need a plug with four prongs ( 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1, ground. you just need to read to see what kind of load your compressor uses. when you say 50amp breaker i'm assuming its a 25amp double pull?
bigcow94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
AJLChase

O.k., so we were at the garage tonight trying to make a plug for the compressor and my brother in law was getting confused. When we open up the switch on the compressor we saw a Red,Black and Green wire connected with in. The manual doesn't really explain a lot on wiring nor does the pdf. Will that mean I would be able to use a three pronged plug? My brother in law is an apprentice electrician and was getting confused as to whether or not we even needed a neutral wire involved or if we would be fine with just wiring a three prong plug?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
bigcow94
Snowfighter

yes you should be fine. Your red and black are hot and green is your ground in most cases. That's weird that there's no neutral? Its been awhile since I've had a compressor opened up to look at one. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Posted via Mobile Device
bigcow94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
LEEVON

that's how the compressor leads are wired, 2 hot legs and a ground. Your BIL is worrying me, since I hate electrical and know that...

I put the correct receptacle for my welder in the wall and just matched the male end on my compressor since I only have one 220v outlet. I thought it would be a pain but I don't find that I'm using both at the same time often, no biggie.

Last edited by LEEVON; 10-08-2010 at 10:18 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

The salesman at TSC told me using a plug will void the warranty on the Ingersoll-Rand compressors. Maybe you can find information on your model to confirm or refute this here: http://www.irtechpubs.com/index.cfm?...at=206&sub=933
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote