The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
iluvmy72

opinion on my 91 burb

Hey guys....I need to get some opinions and see if anything needs to be added to my list to get the 91 burb project at leasr on the road. I have done the lift, put on tires, Installed the 97 7.4 Vortec, Installed the 3.73 3/4 ton rear end, and removed the old 700r4. I am getting ready to Install the 97 4l80e tranny. I feel close but still feel far away. I only have so much spare time. How close am I really?

Need to:

order the custom harness for the ECM

swap out input spline for compatible 32 on the transfer case

install radiator and belt

install 4l80e after transfer case is done

A/C change over to use newer compressor

have alignment done

still deciding on:
-dual exhaust.....currently have cat and flowmaster single line
-clutch fan, flex fan, or electric
-getting a whipple.....eventually want 500 pony's but I can wait
-ordering headers
-what kind of oil for a 97 vortec with 60,000 miles that has sat for a year
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: opinion on my 91 burb

That is a big list. So are you needing to know what you should do? Or how much man hours do you have left on it? But it sounds like you have a big part of it finished and it's all about what you need at the end? A full blown custom ride or a good ride with come updates. And maney always plays a role in it too.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
USSkoval

That sounds like a fun project! Sounds like you have most of the heavy work done, except for the tranny and t-case. Everything else sounds like good little weekend projects. Will you need to have your drive shafts lengthened/shortened?
USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
iluvmy72

not sure just yet...I have to get the tranny in and see....I'm more concerned with getting the engine to go.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
justcuz

What transfer case are you using? I would go with dual exhausts , clutch fan, no comment on headers(personal choice) and 5-30 or 10-30 on the oil.
I would crank the engine with out the ignition hooked up untill you show oil pressure on the gauge. Once you get pressure start it a few times and shut it off right away. then start and run it till it warms up completely. I did this with my 93 Suburban that sat for 6 months. That 97 engine has roller lifters so it is less of an issue with the cam but it still needs to be primed before starting.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
USSkoval

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Once you get pressure start it a few times and shut it off right away... I did this with my 93 Suburban that sat for 6 months.
That doesn't sound like a very good idea. What would be the purpose in that? Also, 6 months isn't very long for a motor to sit unless it's very humid conditions the whole time.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
justcuz

It takes a lot less than six months for the oil to run down off the cylinder walls and the internal parts. All the oil ends up in the pan with a lot of your internal parts pretty dry (without lube). Thats why I prime it, then start and stop it a few times, to get the oil circulating but not putting much of a load on the engine.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
USSkoval

Okay, but starting and stopping does put excessive load on the moving parts because there is less oil pressure while cranking. The correct method would be to remove the distributor, prime the motor with a drill and priming tool, reinstall the distributor, fire it up and let it run. It doesn't really matter anyway, because it's no big deal for a motor to sit for a year.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
justcuz

Once you spin the engine over and get a reading on the gauge, it is primed enough to start. Just to make sure it is to the lifters I start and stop it a couple times. My 93 has over 200,000 miles on it and never had the heads off. I'll keep doing it my way, it does not seem to have had any negative effect on the engine.