The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
socalfyrengineer

1972 K5 4x4 oil pan removal and rear main seal replacement

I wanted to share some info regarding removing oil pan and changing out the rear main seal in my 1972 K5 blazer WITHOUT pulling the engine.

I tried looking for this info but finding it was scarse, so I wanted share my experience so maybe someone could learn from what I did.

My K5 is all stock, factory matching numbers, with exception of old rusty headers which posed one issue with the crossmember.

so, YES YOU CAN PULL YOUR OIL PAN WITH THE ENGINE INSTALLED on K5 4x4. But it's a lot of work, so be patient.

This is what I had to do:
1. Jack up front end and place on jack stands
2. Disconnect alternator an swing out of way from Master Cylinder
3. Disconnect fan shroud and pull away from radiator
4. Pull distributor cap and remove distributor
5. Pull motor mount bolts (one on each side)
6. Pull crossmember bolts (4 on each side of frame)
7. Remove torque converter cover
8. Push crossmember forward
9. Hook up engine hoist to front of engine and pull up until the engine won't
go up anymore. You have to do this in order to clear oil pan from
crossmember.
10. Pull pan bolts and remove

Some people say you can move the crossmember back towards the trans becuz the frame gets more narrow. Well NOT in my case because I have headers, so the crossmember will hit. There is just enough room to move it forward with lifting the FRONT of the engine, you will barely have enough room to remove the pan.

When I pulled the oil pump and rear main cap, I chose to replace the oil pump. It's cheap insurance.

I installed a felpro rear main seal. They make 2 different options. I went with the "double offset lip", as opposed to the stock one replacement

I installed a felpro one piece pan gasket. I have used these before, they are incredible.

I also used oil pan reinforcement rails, these are great. They support the pan where the bolt go through so they don't counter sink the metal, and makes a better seal for your gasket. Just type that description into amazon and you will find them.

Put everything back in opposite position.

I hope this helps anyone that needs to be confident in this process before tackling it.
Attached Images

socalfyrengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
socalfyrengineer

Re: 1972 K5 4x4 oil pan removal and rear main seal replacement

Opps, sorry I wrote it out of order. You have to lift the engine before pushing the crossmember forward, duh. LOL
socalfyrengineer is offline   Reply With Quote