The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
AlaskaMatt

6.2 diesel swap, like to hear from people who have done it

So I have two donor vehicles and a 71 blazer just waiting for me to get on with the project. I will be stealing the 700r4 from one of the donors as well. I am currently playing with the donors to determine the best parts for stealing from each one.

This project is a go, no need to debate the merits pro and con, I have done that and am comfortable with my decision.

I have read all the threads I could find on this but most all seem to be talking about doing it, not actually doing it. What I am looking for is people I can PM and ask question of during the swap and any unexpected things you ran into while doing it.

Things I know:

There is an oil pan clearance issue, and read that BBC stands lift it enough to clear. Can anyone verify that? Better solution?

I am also aware that I will be changing out the radiator and moving crossbraces around.

Driveshafts are a given.

Glowplug controller will have to be figured out. May go with a manual setup.

Return fuel line. Use the evap line?

Post up if you have been through this and are willing to have your brain picked.

Thanks!

Matt

My Website
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
AlaskaMatt

Re: 6.2 diesel swap, like to hear from people who have done it

hmmm. Guess I will be the first. The donor is in the garage now getting a little TLC. I will begin pulling and replacing seals and glowplugs soon.

The actual swap won't be until July, I have to have some fun driving in the sun before taking it down for a while!

Matt

My Website
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

Has anyone ever heard anything good about 6.2 chevy diesels? I think theres a reason why nobody does the swap. Im not trying to discourage you from doing it, but, ok im discouraging you. Its silly and there is way better options if you want to go diesel, like something with a turbo and a heavy duty trans.
Posted via Mobile Device
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
SamMargritz00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardjimmy71 View Post
Has anyone ever heard anything good about 6.2 chevy diesels? I think theres a reason why nobody does the swap. Im not trying to discourage you from doing it, but, ok im discouraging you. Its silly and there is way better options if you want to go diesel, like something with a turbo and a heavy duty trans.
Posted via Mobile Device
i always thought the 6.2 was a good engine, and thats from a cummins guy like myself. but for the OP, i have no idea what the weight of the engine is, you might have to beef up the front end if its too heavy. but a very good little engine is the cummins 4bt. smaller version of the standard cummins in pickup trucks and A LOT of people have done it.
SamMargritz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
cleszkie

I too have heard more complaints than accolades for the 6.2 diesel. Apparently, it is actually based on a gasoline engine that was modified to a diesel mill. Not designed to be a diesel mill from the get go like the aforementioned 4bt. I like were your head is at, but like the others have said there are better alternatives out there.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
bigbadchev72
People know me

there are 2 6.2 diesel engines out there, one is an olds 350 that was made into a diesel, the other is a 379cu in motor.

I have had a couple of them. They are not big power houses, but ou can turn up the injection pump for a little more output. My only complaint on them is the 20+ mpg i was getting out of them

The 4bt is a great swap, but those things are loud! and that is comming from a straight piped cummins owner.
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
ol'blu72

I know all you are getting is wrenches thrown at you and I hate to add one but isnt there power handling issues with a stock 700r4. Not sure how much torque your diesel set up will put out but I have heard a lot of badmouthing on that trans with lots of power.

72 Blazer CST 350/350/205

ol'blu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I too have heard more complaints than accolades for the 6.2 diesel. Apparently, it is actually based on a gasoline engine that was modified to a diesel mill. Not designed to be a diesel mill from the get go like the aforementioned 4bt. I like were your head is at, but like the others have said there are better alternatives out there.
Not to be a jerk but this is wrong. It's also a very common mis-conception. The 6.2 is a Detroit diesel. It was designed to be a diesel from the ground up. You are confusing it with the 350 diesel from olds.

As to the rest of the arguments this was not a overnight decision. I read long and hard and talked to quite a few people. I am not after power or turbo. I am after simple and economy.

The 4bt is loud, vibrates like hell and is dang hard to come by up here. Is it awesome? Absolutely. Do I want one in my rig. No. The 12V cummins, sweet sure, and likely come close to same economy as the 6.2 but the swap is far more involved and weighs much more than the 6.2. Fully dressed it's twice the weight of the 350.

As to the 6.2 people love to hate them for not being a cummins workhorse. Yup, they are not. Do they run many many miles and get great economy doing it, yes they do. Do they have a few known issues, yes but they are minor and easily addressed.

To the weight issue, it's 200 lbs more than the 350 in it now. It has new springs in it anyway that barely move no matter how much weight you put in it. My snowplow mount is nearly that and I can tell no difference in how it drives or rides with that on or off. It hardly changes when you pick up the plow for that matter.

It's all moot anyway. I have the donor and am committed to the project.

I didn't start the thread to hash what direction to go. I would have given it a different title and asked a very different question. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the input but we are not gaining any ground with the tangent discussion.

If you wish to continue the 6.2 debate that is fine, but please in another thread.

Matt

My Website
Old 05-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'blu72 View Post
I know all you are getting is wrenches thrown at you and I hate to add one but isnt there power handling issues with a stock 700r4. Not sure how much torque your diesel set up will put out but I have heard a lot of badmouthing on that trans with lots of power.
this is true, but for the moment I am running the stock setup out of the donor. i.e. the 700r4 that came mated to the 6.2 from the factory (out of the donor). I have no plans to boost power ratings for the imediate future. Just running stock. Also like every 700r4 of that vintage it's been rebuilt and the rebuilds tend to last far longer than the factory setups.

Also putting power and the 6.2 in same sentence is what has everyone above throwing wrenches. The stock C code is 130hp and peak torque around 250. That can be pushed to around 200hp and 350+ torque with J code and banks turbo. That is a whole other project for some other future.

Later if I go with a banks turbo etc. I will have to drop and rebuild/beef up the 700r4 or just bite the bullet and swap to the nv4500.

Matt

My Website
Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
AlaskaMatt

Hey all, I cannot seem to edit my posts. My reply comes off harsher than I mean for it to so please understand I mean no harm. Just trying to clarify some information and the reasons for my choice of swap.

Matt

My Website
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

What was the donor truck? I wish i could be more of a help but when i see an old gm diesel im usualy plugging my nose from the exhaust and im looking for a safe place to pass them. You should post something in the engines section.
Posted via Mobile Device
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
SamMargritz00

i didn't take it harshly, dont worry.
i was going to put the 6.2 in my blazer. they are awesome on economy ill give you that. but when we went to put it in the engine was siezed up from sitting to long so i got the 5.3 instead. i had all the research done on it too. it will not be hard for you to put it in if you have your research done and don't mind fabbing up your own stuff. i would way rather have a diesel then a gas, but the 6.2 i had was siezed so i went with a 2002 5.3 so i still have the economy i wanted
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
AlaskaMatt

Cool. Glad I didn't offend.

You know that 5.3 is an attractive option too. My good buddy is building a 72 blazer right now and very nearly went that way. He is holding out for the 6.0 , but his paycheck can handle the gas bill better than mine. That and I take mine exploring for days on end so range is a factor. He wants to go run around with a lead foot and the top off. Both are fun.

MustardJimmy. The donor is an 84 suburban 1/2 ton with np208/700r4 combo. Runs really nicely and drives nicely too. Luckily the body is horrid so I will have no guilt tearing it down. In the power dept, I was actually pleasantly surprised that it didn't feel too doggy compared to my 350. Of course the torque numbers are about the same with the 6.2 torque coming in a little lower down which is nice in a truck. Hp well my stocker 350 is only rated 190 off the shelf, so it's not all that different. With the blazer coming in about 1000lbs lighter than the donor hopefully it will feel a little peppier too. But if not I can live it.

I really cannot complain I actually picked up two 84 burbs with 6.2's for $500. Both run, one has a shot tranny. I have parts galore I suppose.

Matt

My Website
Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
SamMargritz00

post some pics of what your working with
Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMargritz00 View Post
post some pics of what your working with
Ill see what I can come up with for the donor. Not much too see in the suburban dept. Just alot of rust and a fairly clean 6.2.

My blazer is in driver condition, which is fine because that is what it is. Pretty solid overall with a little body work needed and new paint in the future.

I will certianly document the swap with plenty of photos. I have some time off coming next week so I may begin the tear down of the burb then. I plan to leave the blazer in tact and driving until the last possible moment.

There is plenty of work to do before then. I plan to clean up the 6.2, tranny and t case. Replace seals and glow plugs. Before I pull there is plenty to do with the tape measure as well.

Matt

My Website
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
1972K20

There's nothing wrong with a 6.2. It's not the most powerful, but I had one and it was very reliable.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Awesome! ....don't let the haters get you down. Either they hate the 6.2/6.5 or it's horrible that you are not putting the "proper" power unit in YOUR truck.... I think the 6.2 is a great motor it's just not a towing power house compared to others and never should have been used in extreme hauling conditions...again just my opinion. I think they really would have caught on in something like a s10 blazer or truck. I think about the only thing I would change is to put a manual in it. That's just a personal bias as all the older auto backed diesels I have driven are dogs.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
bigbadchev72
People know me

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=254096&page=4

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=6.2+swap
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
AlaskaMatt

Hey thanks for the links. I had read one of them before and know "mr. Beast" from another forum.

To the others thanks for pump up! ha ha.

Matt

My Website
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
71-blazer-half-cab

I like the 6.2/6.5 engines, I've put 100k on my diesel chevy van with no issues. I get 16-17 mpg pulling my car trailer and over 20 mpg without. I'm going to look for a diesel pickup or blazer to part for the drivetrain to go in my 71 blazer.

My favorite diesel rig belongs to a guy in British Columbia that put a 6.2 in his 77 corvette.
71-blazer-half-cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #21
AlaskaMatt

I should update this thread. The swap has begun. I have the donor engine and tranny out and on the stand. I just finished cleaning up the 6.2. What a mess it was. Next up is replacing all the seals, pulleys and harmonic balancer before the installing in the blazer. I was also happy that all the glowplugs came out without issue and I won't need to pull the heads due to a broken tip.

At this time I am still undecided about going with the 205 or the 208 T case. I prefer to keep my 205 (for various reasons) and the tape measure says I can make it fit without moving it. The truth is I won't know until I try it. The plan is to set the engine in place and see how much wiggle room I really do have. If not enough then I will tackle the 208 and all new drivelines etc.

I've been taking some photos and will post a build thread of sorts when it's done.

Matt

My Website
Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
71-blazer-half-cab

I look forward to your progress, I will give me an idea on what isuues I'll be running into. I have a line on a non turbo 6.5. but I'd like to find a whole truck so I'll have the glow plug timer, harness and all the mounts. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Ralph
71-blazer-half-cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-blazer-half-cab View Post
I look forward to your progress, I will give me an idea on what isuues I'll be running into. I have a line on a non turbo 6.5. but I'd like to find a whole truck so I'll have the glow plug timer, harness and all the mounts. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Ralph
Yeah, I passed up several good deals on engines for the same reasons. The big issue is going to be rear driveline angle and perhaps clearance to the oil pan on the front driveline.

I am hoping to eliminate the first issue by keeping my 205 in place, I already have a double cardon shaft installed and spent quite a bit of time getting my angles to line up. Hate to start over as the tail of the 208 is like 9 inches long which really doesn't help anything. However if the 205 has to be moved I will likely go with the 208 for the lower gearing and easy mate up to the tranny.

Matt

My Website
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
superduty_59

[QUOTE=AlaskaMatt;5383273]Not to be a jerk but this is wrong. It's also a very common mis-conception. The 6.2 is a Detroit diesel. It was designed to be a diesel from the ground up. You are confusing it with the 350 diesel from olds. [QUOTE]

I too like the 6.2/6.5's. Not Cummins power but very reliable. Good luck with your project. Keep us up to date with pics please!

Yea the 6.2 or 6.5 is a designed and built Detriot Diesel (GM used to own) the 5.7 or "350 diesel" wasn't a converted gas engine either. As a cost saving measure on the assembly it was made to be able to be on the same engine assembly line as the gassers and take some of the same parts such as valve covers, oil pans, ect. It was never converted but rather made with some of the same dementions as the gassers to share parts and easily dropped into the same cars without a special line just for the diesels.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
AlaskaMatt

[quote=superduty_59;5519130][QUOTE=AlaskaMatt;5383273]Not to be a jerk but this is wrong. It's also a very common mis-conception. The 6.2 is a Detroit diesel. It was designed to be a diesel from the ground up. You are confusing it with the 350 diesel from olds.
Quote:

I too like the 6.2/6.5's. Not Cummins power but very reliable. Good luck with your project. Keep us up to date with pics please!

Yea the 6.2 or 6.5 is a designed and built Detriot Diesel (GM used to own) the 5.7 or "350 diesel" wasn't a converted gas engine either. As a cost saving measure on the assembly it was made to be able to be on the same engine assembly line as the gassers and take some of the same parts such as valve covers, oil pans, ect. It was never converted but rather made with some of the same dementions as the gassers to share parts and easily dropped into the same cars without a special line just for the diesels.
Cool, I learn new stuff every day. Not much further along on the project, fishing keeps getting in the way. It's hard to be in the shop when the sun is out and the salmon are running.

Matt

My Website