The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
DRipley

GM 4 wire alternator question

This question is about a GM 4 wire alternator. I'm trying to use a 300amp alternator to charge a battery bank. There isn't a starter or anything else in the circuit I just want to charge a battery bank with it. I'm spinning the alternator at 10,000rpm's. My question is do I need a voltage regulator and if so what do I do with the 4 wires?

Any and all help is appreciated
DRipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: GM 4 wire alternator question

dont quote me on this because i might have it 100% backwards...

I do believe that the 4 wire alternator IS internally regulated at 14.1 volts. there are several threads over in the LS swap section where people are converting the 4 wire alternators into a 1 wire alternator. if i am not mistaken in order to do this the alternator MUST have an internal regulator. thats the easy part of your question right? now how to convert to 1 wire? not sure, its on my list of things to figure out for my LS swap.

One place to start is HERE
.looks straight forward

I am curious to know what your doing with your battery bank. what are you using to tirn the alternator at 10k?

10k seems too fast to me but heck, i dunno.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
DRipley

Re: GM 4 wire alternator question

You are correct 10,000rpm is to fast. I spoke with a machanic here in Lubbock and 1500rpm is what I need to spinthe alternator at. He use to work at an alternator shop here in town. He said that the alternator was self regulated. That you only needed a regulator for starting an engine, motors are electrical(lol).
The 4 pins are labeled I S A F, really their not but thats what they represent.
I and A are tied together in my application and S will be tied to a light to make sure I have an output from the alternator.

You can google 4 wire GM wiring diagrams and see a multitude of diffrent wiring diagrams. I'm sure one will fit what your.

What am I doing? I'm a master electrician,doesn't really crossover to trucks and cars 12 volt systems, but in theory does. I'm using radiant energy to run a universal motor to spin the alternator. I mentioned two things in the sentance above that you really don't undersand correctly. Radiant energy = ions in the air. Universal motor = motor that will run on AC or DC voltage. I can pickup ions in the air, (Tesla). Then the batterybank feeds an inverter to get a 120 volt circuit. Climate change=BS google ion cloud, itsall about a one world goverment. Man made consrtuct F&%kem in the neck.
Each one of us has something to contribute to society. But if I keep you in fear, stress. You will never know what that is! Lookup Quantum Physics, 2 slots and a photon gun. Be the wave not the two lines, Jesus is inside of you, last sentence of Mathew.
Good Luck with your project!
Peace, Love and Happiness to the Human Race!

Last edited by DRipley; 10-14-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: The battery bank goes threw an inverter for 120 volt output
DRipley is offline   Reply With Quote