The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Mv7fd

Emissions delete

I know this is a big no no and some people might get upset but I am wanting to know what all I have to do to delete my emissions on my 79 k20 with a 350. I can't find a thermal or ported vacuum switch and my egr is trash so what all can I delete and how do i do it while still keeping the stock intake and carb
Mv7fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
85chevy86

Re: Emissions delete

I do not know what all can be removed but I have read to just take one thing off at a time and drive it. If it runs the same keep it off if it runs bad I guess put it back on. I do know I removed my air pump and the truck ran the same. I just had to plug the hole in the exhaust manifold. My egr was already plugged when I got the truck.
85chevy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mv7fd View Post
I know this is a big no no and some people might get upset but I am wanting to know what all I have to do to delete my emissions on my 79 k20 with a 350. I can't find a thermal or ported vacuum switch and my egr is trash so what all can I delete and how do i do it while still keeping the stock intake and carb
I just removed most of my emissions gear a few weeks ago on my '86 Silverado - not sure if it would be identical to yours, but here's what I've done thus far (apologize for lack of pics):

EGR: unbolted the EGR, which can be a pain as the bolts are slightly under the EGR itself. After the EGR was removed, I cleaned the intake manifold mating surface, and fabricated a 1/2" metal plate the same shape/dimensions as the EGR base plate (used the EGR gaskets as a template). Once I had made the delete plate, I bolted it back to where the EGR was originally mounted, using the original EGR gaskets.

Air pump: ripped that stuff out. Getting the pump itself off in addition to the piping (particularly the driver's side) took some time, but got it off in an afternoon. After removing all of the air pump stuff, I was left with two port holes in the exhaust manifolds. I used the threaded end fittings of the air pump's piping as the plugs, then welded in the centre with a mig welder. I was sure to incorporate the end 3/4" of the pipe itself, which fits inside of the fitting, as the end of the pipe is what actually seals the fitting into the exhaust manifolds.

Carb/HEI distributor: I'm not exactly sure how integrated the quad/distributor are into the emissions stuff, but on mine, they are somewhat electronically controlled. I'm having a local expert rebuilt a plane quad and HEI distributor for my application which should eliminate many of the vacuum lines involved in emissions control.

Gasoline vapour canister: I'm leaving this in. Has no effect on performance and I don't want my truck stinking like gas.

BBQ
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Mv7fd

Did you remove that two port vacuum switch on the intake manifold
Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Just call me Sean

Just put a plug in it. It's a water passage.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Mv7fd

Sounds good
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Axle

Ported vacuum to your HEI, vacuum to your pcv valve and that pretty much is all you need.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
rich weyand

Beg to differ. If you are going to delete pollution stuff and set it up like a pre-pollution engine, connect the HEI vacuum advance to manifold vacuum, not ported vacuum. Ported vacuum was more pollution nonsense. All pre-pollution engines ran vacuum advance on manifold vacuum.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...m-advance.html

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote