The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Rupdog

Reproduction VIN tag

Hi. This is my first post, and I'm restoring my first truck. It's a 70 C/20 350/400 2wd longbed (non A/C).

I bought it from a guy who bought it from a guy who committed suicide while the restoration had already started (approx 5 years ago). He stripped and painted the entire engine bay and interior. The level of detail is amazing. Unfortunately, somewhere between then and now, the VIN tag got lost. He also stripped the glove box, along with the rest of the interior for a repaint, and the trim decal is gone.

It's nothing exotic, like a COPO Camaro or Superbird, but I'd like to have an original (appearing) VIN tag in place. Because it's been off the books so long, I need to take it to DMV for inspection, and don't want to raise any red flags. The truck is legit, still has the license plate and VIN on the latest (1995) pink slip.

I've read tonite via this great site that I can verify the VIN on the driver's side framerail, and I'll check it next time I'm at the paint shop.

SO......... I'm hoping someone has a resource for accurate VIN tag reproductions. I've found someone who charges $195.00, and includes the original style rivets, but he normally does the typical musclecars, and has never done a truck. I intend to remove a tag from a wrecking yard '70 truck, and send it in for a match.

However, I'd prefer to check with all of you and see if you've used anyone, and what the results were.

I know this is a touchy subject, but I can assure you the truck is legit. I just want it to be whole again.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! I'll be at the Brothers show in July, with my red/white longbed.

Rupen
70 LWB
Attached Images

Rupdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Reproduction VIN tag

Good looking truck. I've never heard of anyone reproducing VIN tags, so I'm no help there. Welcome to the board!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
Rupdog

thanks! i was hoping for more replies, but i guess it's pretty late, especially back east. i'll try again tomorrow nite.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

You won`t find those reproduced.That`s like a stem cell for these trucks,if you know what I mean.I`d call the CA MVA and inquire before physically presenting the truck.You should have enough documentation to satisfy them with the serial# on the frame matching the pink.But...you never know.Some states can get really nasty on that.The problem is,if all is copesthetic,they`ll want to give you an MVA VIN-plate and you want original.I`d seek out a junker and use it`s title/VIN-plate.The frame #s are the least to be concerned with.If you want it all to match up to your actual truck as far as model,try to find a CE2 fleetside truck.If you search the underworld you`ll find the the tin and paper and screw the rest of the truck.You can`t ask for that here,but that stuff is out there.Good lick to ya.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-22-2007 at 09:44 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i would say getahold of the DMV or what ever you call it out there... it'd really suck to finish your ride, only to hand the keys over to some hippy at the state.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Rupdog

thanks for the info. i think i'm gonna go with the source i found, and risk the 200 clams. i hate the idea of a some crappy aluminum strip tag pop riveted carelessly to my door jamb.

i'll keep y'all posted!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
lbpd719
Zappaphile!

Thumbs down Re: Reproduction VIN tag

I would STRONGLY recommend you not mess with that type of thing.

Here in California, it's a felony to mess with vins in just about any way..

You will need a brake and light inspection from a certified shop also if its out of DMV. DMV will issue you a vin if yours is gone..

Good luck and please send more pic's of your truck.. it looks great from what we have seen so far.

Last edited by lbpd719; 04-22-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Forgot a couple of things
lbpd719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Rupdog

Re: Reproduction VIN tag (MORE PICS)

as requested, here are some more pics. these are the "as purchased" pics, fresh outta the PO's garage.

PS anybody want that steering wheel? free, if you pay shipping.

PPS anybody know what that rear end is? truck rears are new to me. where can i check for ID numbers, and is there a good link for decoding them?

thanks again all!!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
byrd
Union Electrician

I would like to have the steering wheel. I will PM you.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
lbpd719
Zappaphile!

looks great, should be a fun project.

Can't really see the rear to answer your question though..
Old 04-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Show me your rear.Wait,the didn`t come out right.If the diff cover is round it`s the corporate rear,also known as the Eaton HO52.It was used through`72.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
kwmech

Well, here in California. You will have to take all of your documentation down to the DMV, get a permit , then to the CHP where they will issue a VIN, then back to the DMV. Somewhere inbetween you will have to obtain a Brake and Lamp inspection.

edit: forgot to mention that the truck will have to be weighed also, for the commercail fees--doncha just luv cali

Last edited by kwmech; 04-22-2007 at 11:13 PM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #13
Rupdog

Smile Re: Reproduction VIN tag

OK. So, I'm nowhere near the truck, so getting more pics of the rear can't happen right now. I'll try to get some more soon.

Regarding the DMV fees... I was able to sweet-talk the gal at DMV to skip that part, since I still had the previous pink slip, and all numbers were intact, and the pink states the weight rating.

I hope I don't regret it, but I'm gonna get the repop VIN tag made, judge it's quality and appearance, and if all looks good, try to pass it through the system. As far as THE MAN knows, there's currently no missing tag or issue.

BTW... would any of you mind sending me a pic of your 1970 VIN plate? Please block out the numbers, I don't need them. I've noticed a few different versions on wrecking yard trucks. Some are a single large 3x4 plate, and some are two smaller (business card size) plates, where the top one only has the GM mumbo jumbo, and the lower tag is ONLY for the VIN.

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

small double plates are 69 and older.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #15
jmking9

Very nice truck. What is youre red called?
jmking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Rupdog

don't know what the red is. PO painted the engine bay and interior, and I just had the body shop do a color match.....

it's ridiculously bright.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #17
70c-10

"PS anybody want that steering wheel? free, if you pay shipping."

i might be interested. could you take a picture of it for me?
thanks.

btw... where is the trim tag supposed to be located? i was trying to find mine the other day.
70c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Longhorn Man

there is no trim tag on these trucks
Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Rupdog

UPDATE Re: Reproduction VIN tag

OK, so update on the VIN tag:

i found a 70 c/20 in the wrecking yard today!!! here's the question i'm hoping you all can help me with:

are the weight ratings stamped into the tag the same for all c/20s of a given year? or does it matter with options installed?

here's what's listed. i'm hoping you guys can share your listings:

gvw 5000/5000

max front 2500/2500

max rear 2948/3500

the number on the left is "as manufactured", and the number on the right is "maximum capability".

the donor truck was a c/20 2wd longbed, no a/c wood bed. 350/400 auto. in other words, identical to mine except the wood bed vs. my steel floor, and my pink slip lists the weight as 4133. i don't want to screw with that number. please let me know what you guys show on your tags. thanks!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
bigbaldy33

OK, here goes.

I've been lurking here for a while to get ideas for my 69 S/B fleet. I'm also a CHP officer and was the VIN officer in Sacto for the last 10 years. Possession of that VIN plate is a felony. Possession of any vehicle without VIN numbers is in violation of 10751 of the Vehicle Code and subject to impoundment until it can be verified that it is not stolen. Before you sink a bunch of money into the project to finish it out, go to your local CHP office and make an appointment to get your VIN verified. Unfortunately, they will give you a "blue tag" that is a foil sticker that is pop riveted to the cab of your truck (it's ugly as ****).

I've had hundreds of guys come to me who have purchased vehicles without vins and when I did the verification, it turned out that the vehicle had been stolen (I once recovered a Hardley that was stolen in 1971). Strangely enough, the paperwork for the vehicle that they purchased did not match the frame number or the confidential #'s. The only real reason to take the VIN plate off is to hide the vehicle's identity. Any competent painter can paint around one and make it look good so that's not a viable excuse).

Contrary to other posts, the only number that counts for a vehicle is the frame number. When you do a cab switch, technically it needs to go the the CHP and have a blue sticker applied so the cab numbers can match the frame number. But for future reference and other people in this situation--Don't take the old/different VIN plate off of the cab--let the officer see it or he can take and crush that cab (again, read 10751 CVC)

Do you really know that the "paperwork" that was given you matches the truck you have in your possession? If it does, then you are lucky and take your original course of action (I hope he can do a good job because if it looks hinky and a CHP sees it, again it can be impounded for 10751 CVC)

Not trying to piss on your parade, just trying to help out before it costs $$$$$$$$.

BigBaldy
bigbaldy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #21
old Chevy guy

The weight tag on my 72 c20 reads 6700 as manafactured 7500Max front as man 3000 3000 max rear 4880 as man 5500 max But it also lists heavy duty front and rear springs on the line tag in the glove box and has rear leafs.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #22
see ten
WTB this ad

Big Baldy you are correct any competent painter can paint around that plate but most guys I know have removed them before spraying. The guy who shot my K10 actually installed mine upside down! I had him drill it out and flip it back over. There is also a member on here who has a truck without a VIN plate. He has a title that matches the VIN on the glovebox door and he was allowed to register his truck. Apparently things are much more laid back in Georgia. I'm not disputing anything you posted as it sounds like you are quite knowledgeable of the subject. I'm just posting some additional info as well. Oh and welcome to the board!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #23
bigbaldy33

Yeah, I've recovered lots of vehicles that were "legally" registered in other states and then moved to CA. That's why CA requires that all vehicles coming from other states go through a CHP inspection prior to being issued a CA title. It seems like other states don't care if your shtuff gets stolen.

My whole concern is to prevent him from investing money into something that eventually comes back as a stolen and he ends up losing it all.

See Ten:
When the guy re-installed your plate did he use the correct rivet or just a regular pop rivet. That's one of the dead giveaways of possible VIN switch stolen. Try to get the correct rivets if he didn't use them.

Thanks for the welcome

BigBaldy

Last edited by bigbaldy33; 05-15-2007 at 11:08 PM.
bigbaldy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #24
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Lots of good info, bigbaldy, Welcome to the boards!!
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #25
Rupdog

BigBaldy, thanks for the info! The original VIN was removed for painting (not my choice), and it got lost somewhere along the way. Unfortunately, the guy who did it is dead, so he's not telling me anything.

I've tried to find the original VIN on the frame. I understand it's somewhere on the driver's side, near the power steering, but I can't seem to locate anything resembling numbers there. The license plate matches the one on the pink slip, which of course also lists the VIN.

After sending these same pics to my VIN tag reproducer, he decided there is too much text to successfully reproduce, so he's backed out, leaving me with no option but to go to CHP and get the crappy blue tag put on.

Will they assign a NEW VIN number, or just put the existing one on the tag?

Again, thanks for the info. I'm not trying to hide anything, or be deceptive.

Much appreciated, and welcome!!!!!