The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
sandorjoben

Bad Battery, Starter, or Alternator?

Scenario:

Yesterday went to take my 1987 V15 w/305tbi to work, battery is drained(thought I left the parking lights on, but don't remember now if the switch was pulled out at all). Boosted the truck after work(took another family vehicle), and took it for a good long run, went out later last night ...started fine.

This morning, took the GF to work... started fine, stop at home for 1/2 hour this morning after dropping the GF off at work, go to start the truck to go to work... dead, no lights, nothing, also, I definitely did not leave the lights on. Go to boost the truck, lights work with the cables attached to the good battery/vehicle, clicking sound and slight(1/2 sec) turnover attempt then only clicking, but no start, left the cables on for 10 minutes with other car running, try again, same thing. Disconnect the cables and the battery remains completely discharged. Repeat process, same results. Get a ride to work, truck is dead. Suggestions?

Dave

Last edited by sandorjoben; 11-25-2010 at 12:22 PM.
sandorjoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Bad Battery, Starter, or Alternator?

The first thing I would look at are grounds. Check all the ground connections at the battery, frame, etc. Be sure to closely inspect your positive and negative cables. I had one split on the bottom and it corroded from the inside out.

Take the battery out and have it load tested. Its possible it has a bad cell. It might be a bad starter, but sound more like a battery going bad.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
sandorjoben

Yeah was gonna take the battery down to the parts store after work for a free load test and will likely go from there, the battery is only 4 months old and is still under warranty.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Also you can touch the battery when its running if its hot to touch, it may have gone to ground inside of itself
Old 11-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
sandorjoben

Got home from work, dug out the electrical tester, load tested the battery, read 12.5 volts, and started no problem, took it for a drive, stopped it several times, shut it down, leaving it for varying periods and started no problem. Any ideas now? I'm gonna check the grounds on Saturday when I have the chance, and hopefully it starts consistently between now and then.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Goldfinger

Check the wires to the alternator connections to the junction block on the firewall and wires to the starter. On this circuit i've had many problems from not starting at all to Catching fire. Also wiggle the grounds to the body that can prevent it from working

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
red rumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
The first thing I would look at are grounds. Check all the ground connections at the battery, frame, etc. Be sure to closely inspect your positive and negative cables. I had one split on the bottom and it corroded from the inside out.

Take the battery out and have it load tested. Its possible it has a bad cell. It might be a bad starter, but sound more like a battery going bad.
x2
red rumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
sandorjoben

Found the problem after I came outta the bank last night and found I had no power. Turned the headlight switch "ON", popped the hood, shook the positive, then negative battery cable, lights came on when I moved the negative. Turns out the negative had worked itself loose enough to go between having enough contact to complete the circuit and not enough and losing power. Got home and checked the threads on the negative connector and they're pretty worn so I may just get a new negative cable.

Dave

Don't know now if boosting it the other day was a good idea or not in retrospect but at least its starting consistently

Last edited by sandorjoben; 11-27-2010 at 01:34 PM.