The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
pwdcougar

suburban door jamb

Any chance someone has a picture of what this area is supposed to look like? I've been working on getting the rocker and the front quarter panel to fit and realized that this area needs some work as well. This is the left side rear door panel area.

Paul
Attached Images

1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
pwdcougar

Re: suburban door jamb

I made a couple pieces and welded it up tonight. Next problem... rocker to quarter panel fit.

Has anyone else run into this? The profile of the rocker and the quarter don't match!

There is a flat spot on the bottom of each piece. The replacement quarter has a much larger flat spot than the rocker.
Attached Images

1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
I made a couple pieces and welded it up tonight. Next problem... rocker to quarter panel fit.

Has anyone else run into this? The profile of the rocker and the quarter don't match!

There is a flat spot on the bottom of each piece. The replacement quarter has a much larger flat spot than the rocker.

Is the rear quarter up against the "B" pillar all the way or is there a gap in it at the bottom. When I did my panel truck I used a door skin and the lower part of a rocker panel welded together and everything lined up OK. I know, not really a good comparison but should be close.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Bigdav160

I think that is considered normal and from the factory they were mounted the same way. At least I've read that in the body work section.

It was noted that body guys usually make some adjustment to flush that out at the customers request.

Here's how mine turned out. Sorry I didn't take any pics before the patch panels were installed.
Attached Images

'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I think that is considered normal and from the factory they were mounted the same way. At least I've read that in the body work section.

It was noted that body guys usually make some adjustment to flush that out at the customers request.

Here's how mine turned out. Sorry I didn't take any pics before the patch panels were installed.

Thanks Dave and Leon. I'm thinking of adding to the inner rockers bottom edge to bring the outer rocker out further. It only needs to come out less than a quarter inch for the rocker and quarter to line up. My OCD will never allow me to leave the two pieces un aligned!

Pau
Old 09-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
dozerbill72

Can you tweet the inner rocker out bit for the rocker and in for the quarter panel? Just be careful what ever you do moving the rocker out, so as not to make the rocker sit out further than the fender. You might want to hang the door and see which one it lines up with.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Average Joe

Quote:
Thanks Dave and Leon. I'm thinking of adding to the inner rockers bottom edge to bring the outer rocker out further. It only needs to come out less than a quarter inch for the rocker and quarter to line up. My OCD will never allow me to leave the two pieces un aligned!

Pau
That sounds like a logical route. It would bother me as well. It doesnt appear Daves offset is as extreme.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbill72 View Post
Can you tweet the inner rocker out bit for the rocker and in for the quarter panel? Just be careful what ever you do moving the rocker out, so as not to make the rocker sit out further than the fender. You might want to hang the door and see which one it lines up with.
I hung the door and it lines up best with the rocker. I’m going to make a long tapered piece to fit between the inner and outer rocker. Right now I have it wedged with screwdrivers and things line up great.

Paul
Old 10-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post

In this picture did you use a seam sealer in the gap between the two panels? It looks like the sealer has to go on before welding in the rocker and after welding in the quarter panel. Is that the way you did it?

Thanks

Paul
Old 10-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Bigdav160

No, I installed the quarter first. I've been told to work from the rear of the vehicle to the front. I then installed the rocker. It's funny how the passenger side sits almost flush but the drives side the quarter is slightly more proud.

I used Eastwood "brush on" seam sealer from a can. Troweled it on with a bondo spreader and cleaned it off with alcohol before it dried. And it dried fast.

On the floors of my Z-28 I used 3m two part "self leveling" seam sealer. I found it much less viscous and harder to work. It does a good job but if the gaps are not tight it tends to just drip through. I don't think it would work for the gap between the quarter and rocker.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
pwdcougar

Thanks Dave. Just reread my post. We are both doing it the same way. Looks like my wording is confusing. Quarter first then the rocker. Have to see what seam sealer I have in the cabinet.

Thanks again!

Paul.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
I hung the door and it lines up best with the rocker. I’m going to make a long tapered piece to fit between the inner and outer rocker. Right now I have it wedged with screwdrivers and things line up great.

Paul
It sounds like you are the owner of a Monday or Friday truck like me. I didn't replace the rockers on mine but during the body work phase I noticed how my passenger side rocker fit well at the back but at the front the bottom is pulled in about 3/16" and there wasn't any way to get the fender to line up. Part of the reason I'm sure I have a Monday or a Friday truck. I thought about cutting it apart but decided to wait as the rockers are still pretty good, but the demon never sleeps so the day will come when it will have to get fixed.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote