The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
JAKA

Rear trailing arms

For the guys that have fabricated their own trailing arms. Could you post pics and list what materials were used? THANKS
JAKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
MySons68C20

Re: Rear trailing arms

If you use the search function you may have better results.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
LH Lead-Foot

For fabricating your rear lower control arms, the best material is DOM tubing. If your have some good welding skills, you will have to bend the correct mount angel plus a slight skew at the forward mount points. The frame member is straight along with the brackets but I believe the eyelets are at a slight angle to the crossmember.

Why are you replacing these? Wheel hop, something extra cool or what?

I installed extreme energy poly inserts that comes with a new inner tube. While the factory lower arms can be replaced with many vendors product, I look at the obvious. First, these are two steel box channel mild steel, placed back to back and plug welded every 8" or so. On the top and bottom, there is no fastening, so to stiffing the factory stuff, I sandblasted, then MIG welded the entire length of the arms from top, around the ends, then the bottom. After a little smoothing with a grinder & 120 flap disc, they painted up nice, and re-installed.

They work great with 5.3L Vortec, 4L60 & 3:08 mounted on a series 3 Eaton disc-type posi with P245/75R16 tires. Yes, all are 6 bolt with 5.5" pattern. This makes an overdrive of 0.70:1 and 31" O.D. tires and I get 19-21 MPG on the highway. I am running about 1460 RPM at 65 MPH if I remember correctly.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've looked at this a couple times too. I'm planning on doing a set eventually out of DOM round tube. The stock design is getting sketchy on the power (heck its sketchy stock after all the years).

My truck is backhalfed with coil overs, and I'd like more adjust ability

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote