The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
Gav2606

68 c10 airbag help?

Air bagged 68 c10 help

hi . I purchased a 68 c10 with airbags fitted already, they have never really sat righyt its had the top plate bolted to the under side off the top arm which is correct, the bottom arms have been changed to a tubular arm as it runs later discs and calipers, for the bottom on the bags they have welded a plate over the spring cup and bolt the bottom bags in place, i have just replaced both front bags with d2500 airlift which is what was in the incase it was the bags at fault. But they are doing the same. Should i remove the plate and get the correct cups to sit in the spring base.? It just doesnt see inline? And advise greatly recieved. Many thanks..
https://ibb.co/Fmh9vWc
https://ibb.co/PZg6crT
Gav2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 68 c10 airbag help?

Yes, it sounds like you need to correct whatever was previously altered.

I don't know why someone would plate a tubular arm & your brief descript makes it seem like an afterthought. Can you get a couple of pictures on what your trying to correct?

Technically, 2500# bags will work but most C10's are spec'd for 2600# style bags. They use the 2500# bags for the rear truck-arm application.
What was the issue w/the bags that were replaced?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Gav2606

They were doing the same. Balloning out the sides. Never sat level. Could you see my links to the pictures?
Old 07-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #4
SCOTI

I saw them but didn't know what the exact failure was from your initial statement.

What pressure did it take for the front end to be @ 'ride height'?
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
SCOTI

It doesn't look like it has the 'typical' upper plate 63-87 trucks use. That looks more like what is used on OBS/88-98 trucks.
You should invest in the correct bracketry for the top side & either modify the lowers or the better option get arms that are spec'd for air suspension.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Gav2606

Ride height is around 80 psi. Would you use the bags sat like that? I was told its not safe?
Old 07-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2606 View Post
Ride height is around 80 psi. Would you use the bags sat like that? I was told its not safe?
I wouldn't. I've never used Airlift bags so I don't have experience w/them. I have used Firestones & Slam Specialties on a C10 application & they didn't do that.

I think you need more space between the upper/lower mounting points @ ride height. Measure that distance on your set-up @ the height you drive around at. Curious what it is. These trucks require around 5-6" spring height between the mounts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
67C10Step

I'm no air ride or air bag expert but it looks like the geometry between the upper and lower mountings is causing a severe out of alignment issue and making the bag side load. I would also agree this cannot be safe as I would worry about damage on larger bumps.

SCOTI is spot on here. May need to back up and restart with known parts from reputable supplier to sort this out.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:39 AM   #9
Richard

Would suggest to remove the bags and position the lower arms parallel to the upper mounting plate fastened to the spring pocket. The mount locations should align with each other. From the pics it looks like the upper and lower mount locations are not aligned. Think that moving the lower mount inward or upper mount outward should correct the problem.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote