The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Keep on Trukin

How many leafs????

I got a 67 GMC short bed and i wanted to econo-lower my truck, i was going to cut a small piece off of the front springs and i wanted to take some leafs out of the back but i dont know how many, can anyone help? And does anyone know how much it will lower it.
Keep on Trukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:34 AM   #2
navybear70
hometown heroes!

I'll tell you, but I wouldn't recommend it. It destroys the ride, and torques everything out of place. My bumpstops hit the axle all the time. Take out the middle leaf. The longest one connects to the frame, the shortest stops over extension and the next shortest holds them all in line. The middle one, second from the top, is the strongest I believe. I bought my truck with it removed and with the front springs compressed (by heating I think). I added the leaf back and it raised the truck at least a good three inches. Again, I would not recommend this practise. I would just buy a flip kit. But each to his own.
This pic was as it stood with the leaf out.
Attached Images

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
72MARIO

Take the rear springs out and get them dearched. As for the front cut a coil off then see what you want in the back
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:02 AM   #4
Slammed '87

just my input.... i have lowered many 73-87's by removing a few leafs and never had any problems EVER! I find this softens up the ride and you can still carry a decent load! Mind you trucks vary as do their suspension wear. My current daily driver had a few broken leafs, and i wanted to lower it a little, so to kill two birds with one stone, i removed the broken leafs, and also got a 4" drop. I learned all i know bout lowering this route by trial and error. If you find that you don't like the ride after removing a few leafs, you can always reinstall them, and go the flip kit route.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
Keep on Trukin

Slammed 87 which ones did u remove, do u go from top to bottome or start on the bottom?? I will do this and get some shorter shocks front and back.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
Slammed '87

well to be honest, with my latest truck, i just removed the broke/cracked leafs. They were different ones on both sides, but it worked out good as it lowered both sides approx 4". But ususally i would start with the smallest, or the bottom of the pack and work my way up. On my '87 one pack was way more bagged than the other, so i actually had one and a half more leafs on one side. How half? I just cut a longer leaf off both ends a little until i got a level stance. I made custom spring pack brackets to hold it in place. Not recommend, as i knew mine would be temporary, but it worked for 2 years with a nice ride and no problems! cheers
Old 01-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
Keep on Trukin

Thanks, slammed '87, for the info.