The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Anyone use Eastwood Extreme Chassis paint?

I have 4 cans of this stuff along with 4 cans of its primer and some "After Blast" phosphoric acid. Anyone ever use this stuff?

Thoughts?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: Anyone use Eastwood Extreme Chassis paint?

You have to read the TDS to really know how to use it. Contact the manufacturer and ask them to provide a TDS Technical Data Sheet. Read it three times before opening a can to be 100% sure you know what to do. Do not add or subtract products based on what you think is best... follow the sheet to the letter and you will have a successful result.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

My cans are rattle cans.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
72HuggerK20

In my experience, anything out of a rattle can other than plastic adhesion promoter or etch primer that's meant to be used on little sand-through spots is pretty much junk. Especially anything meant to be used as a topcoat. Don't expect it to last. If you have low expectations, then I suppose you'll be happy with it. Not to say that there isn't a place for it, such as touching up spots under your chassis that you may have missed when spraying it, but I wouldn't use it for an overall job, that's for sure. Anything 2K would be much better as far as durability goes, and plus it's a lot easier to spray a decent product with decent equipment.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

I cannot afford the gear and no place to use it anyway. I wasn't planning to paint anything more than some brackets with it.

Has anyone here actually used Eastwood Extreme Chassis Paint (spray can)?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
IRQVET

I've never used this particular Eastwood product, but as a former commercial aircraft painter, I can tell you that Eastwood products are very good and behave very well in novice hands. No I don't work for them, but I would recommend there products because I'm a huge fan.
IRQVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQVET View Post
I've never used this particular Eastwood product, but as a former commercial aircraft painter, I can tell you that Eastwood products are very good and behave very well in novice hands. No I don't work for them, but I would recommend there products because I'm a huge fan.
Thanks man. Do you use the paint by itself (Extreme Chassis) or with the recommended primer?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
IRQVET

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Thanks man. Do you use the paint by itself (Extreme Chassis) or with the recommended primer?
No, but I've painted a few Willys with their epoxy primers and single stage paints. I do some hobby paint and bodywork for a few folks in the Military Vehicle Preservation Association. Their products behave very well even when the outside temperature isn't ideal. Its a very forgiving product and produces excellent results. If their chassis paint is anything like their other products, you'll be in good shape.
IRQVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:01 AM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Well good and thanks. I suspect this stuff is a better paint than Krylon, which seems a little weak when it comes to bumps.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
jmabx

I've used both the epoxy primer and extreme chassis black in the 2k spray cans. I used them on my frame where I replaced crossmembers and added a c-notch before it goes to blasting and paint. The end results are great and the paint is hard as nails and looks good.

I had problems with the nozzle on the epoxy primer leaking. The chassis black sprayed beautifully as it came with a different nozzle. Both cans didn't like to be sprayed at an angle after about half used.

All in all, I think it's great stuff for touch ups and painting under replacement parts like I did.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Well, I tried it, and I LOVE IT.

I used a blasting cabinet this time (thank you Jeff's Bowties) and then let the pieces soak 24 to 48 hours in Evaporust as they could not be painted until a week after blasting. I rinsed with the water hose, let hang in the sun. Three pieces were then hit with NAPA Rust Treatment to prevent flash rust and let cure for 24 hours. Two other pieces did not get the Rust Treatment.

I followed the directions on the Eastwood cans: 2 coats primer with 2 coats top, 2 hours wait between coats. I finished the last coat last night in low light but I could check coverage with my flashlight when back inside the garage. The results are great! I am very pleased. I am so pleased I definitely want a blasting cabinet and to redo all the brackets I painted with Krylon after electrolysis.