The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Golf

New Owner, No Fuel

1984 c10 deluxe custom with 305

New owner, impounded vehicle back in Feb. Got title this week and replaced ignition lock cylinder so have keys. Know no history of vehicle.

It will run with fuel pump intake hose in bottle, cannot get fuel from tank to pump.
Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
wilkin250r

Re: New Owner, No Fuel

It seems you've narrowed down the problem, anywhere between the tank and the fuel pump, which leaves a total of three possibilities.

1) I've heard of the pre-filter on the fuel pickup being clogged. You would need to either drop the tank, or remove the bed (generally easier) to access the sending unit.

2) The line itself could be clogged, or split.

3) This one would only apply to multiple tanks, you could have a problem with the switching valve.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

welcome golf..I think wilkin covered it purty well..look for a inline filter...sometimes people would stick one in the fuel line...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

To test #2 above, move your test hose and bottle to the end of the metal line by the tank(s). While there, check all the rubber hoses from that end to either the valve(if dual tank) or the single tank sending unit. If original rubber, likely EOL. They can be rotten enough to let air in, breaking the pump's suction.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Golf

Thanks for the great information! The rubber hoses at the rear did look like they've seen better days
Old 09-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
sweetk30

these old trucks are running on 30-40+ year old hose still on some .

check the hoses . there is short section at sender to frame cross member line and possible cross member to frame rail .

and hook a hose to the pickup and try blowing in it . you should not hear air only bubbles .

and see if someone installed an electric pump inline hidding some place and you didnt see the hidden switch . and also they didnt bypass the mech pump .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
Golf

We blew out the line from pump to rear rubber hose, gas was clean, blew air into the tank and clean fuel from out the other side, gas smells good. We tried to recreate the trunk running from a bottle, wouldn't run or suck any fuel. We probably got lucky yesterday with the pump working but odds are that was the last time. I'm going to replace the 20 dollar pump before I drop the tank I guess
Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
Jstock85

Had exact same problem few months back. Did trial and error all the way to the tank, problem ended up being the sending unit. Cleaned the tank and Replaced a lot of parts while i was in there also. Sender, pump, rubber lines, and filter. Put me out less than $100
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
Golf

I know no history on it, the P.O. has plugged the return line with a bolt in the rubber hose coming from pump. What would be accomplished plugging the return line? The carb is the cleanest looking thing under the hood, and the pedal cable was off the carb. There is a broken connector on the side, I think it's the electric choke. Not sure if plug is broken or connector etc but it's not plugged up. I don't know where the air cleaner is, if it will run longer than a few minutes will pick one up. Body is in great shape and sounded great when we got it to run a few minutes. Interior is also up to par. There is another vacuum line on the passenger side that is broken at the plastic piece... Something other than pcv i think, it's still there at the top of valve cover just not connected to anything