The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
determined

06 Silverado 3500 8.1 6 speed Questions

Hi new here I have done a pile of reading and still have some questions.
I have 18 Chevys ranging from 1950 to 2006 1/2 ton to 3 ton, so I am not new to this, just new to this body style
My 98 7.4 Dually is pretty near worn out so the search for another trailer hauler has been ongoing for the past couple of years.

The decision made was to find a 2006 as it was the last year for the 8.1 and the first year for the Allison 6- speed on a 3500 4x4.

Found one in good mechanical shape with 140 000 miles on it.

The body condition was poorer than I wanted but being such a rare truck to find in the first place It came home with me.

Far from perfect and needing repair or replacement was 1 front door, 1 fender, front bumper, hood, headlight etc.

Found a loaded 2005 Silverado 1500 that had been hit hard in the rear and bought it for the body.

Here is where my questions start, I have quite a few if you can help on any of them before I tear into this project it would be greatly appreciated.

The 2006 is a very dark blue and the 2005 is a dark charcoal grey with a body that is a good 9 out of 10 in condition and paint.
Plan is to swap all doors, hood, fenders grill etc.
Color close enough I am not worried about the roof and strip behind the back doors, flat deck and headache rack are black.

06 has the HD hood but if I am changing grill as well I believe the normal hood from the 05 will fit up fine.

06 has power lock but no keyless entry, once I swap doors I believe the RH door has the fob receiver in it all should work, might have to relearn fob.

Mirror with temp and compass from the 05 should bolt right in, just need to move the temp sensor.

06 has am fm cd 05 has Bose system with 6cd changer built in.
Is this a workable swap? Recoding possible?

Heater controls? Is it worth the effort to put the electronic climate controls in?

DIC display I have read is an easy swap but not sure if it will work/recognize the manual shift info for the Allison.

Steering wheel with the buttons, guessing I would need it for the DIC.

Basically want to swap over whatever goodies I can and it would be nice to get some insight as to what will and will not work.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
determined is offline   Reply With Quote