The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2002, 12:09 PM   #1
PitterPats72

Unhappy Hei

Got the HEI in and wired, it dropped right in where the other dizzy was. Question? Each time I try to crank it the battery dies. Why? could it be too powerful for my system? or is something draining it?

I've had the battery disconnected for about 2wks now. Tried to start it last night the carb spit out gas good but I had forgotten to hookup that other connector (the one w/ the brown, pin, white wire) to the HEI so it wouldn't turn over.

I hooked up the HEI from the batt terminal on the cap w/ 10 gauge wire to the ignition spade on the fuse box, had to use one of those "H" connectors to be able to hook two spades to that fuse box spade. Do I have it connected correctly to the fusebox?? do I need to disconnect anything else? Now it just clunks even though I am charging the battery from my car, now what???

Sorry for all the dumb questins and thanks for your help,
Pat
73 VW Super Beetle -New to me- Bought from original owner!
84 Honda Nighthawk (2500 mi.)
I know too much foreign stuff; I've owned American too and they lasted
just as long.
PitterPats72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:13 PM   #2
Mike C

Sounds like either your battery is whacked or you have a terminal/cable connection problem.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:33 PM   #3
BigJackDaddy

If it were me (but it ain't) I'd disconnect the battery from the truck and charge it. After hooking up the recharged - or another known good - battery, disconnect the wire you hooked from the dist. to the fuse block and TEMPORARILY hook it direct to the Battery+ and try to start the truck.

If it starts, you know you've messed up the wiring jumper. Since everything was OK before, it sounds like you've got the ignition wired always hot and it's draining the battery.

Nothing to do with your problem, but don't forget to regap your sparkplugs from .035 to .045 That HEI throws a lot more juice than your old points setup so you need to regap your plugs to the HEI specs to take advantage of it [read: burn all the fuel in the cylinders].
Old 05-29-2002, 12:34 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Check the terminal you wired it to, make sure it is a switched power, and not full time power.
I agree with Mike on the dead battery..maybe starter.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:35 PM   #5
PitterPats72

It's cranking OK now but.... my rebuilt carburetor seems to be spitting and it won't catch???

If it's not one thing it's another thing?

thanks,
Pat
just as long.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:45 PM   #6
PitterPats72

Where I hooked up the wire from the dist. it says ign and that's where the RED wire from the ign is hooked up at. So you're saying I need to hook it to another spade??
I don't think I can use the one the radio is on because I know that one is hot all the time because I have a digital clock on the radio and that's how it keeps the clock working and the stations memorized.

I'll look for another spade to use.

thanks,
pat
just as long.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:31 PM   #7
BigJackDaddy

PitterMan,

I''m not saying to try another spade. I wasn't suggesting that you necessarily did something wrong. I'm only offering an alternative method to double-check yourself.

Hook it to the battery to check. Use a fuse inline if you wish, but by avoiding the fusebox for a moment you'd know if your wiring is the culprit.

Since you bring up the carb issue in the later post, I'd ask if you've checked for spark when cranking. First find out if it's a fuel or electrical issue by verifing spark.

"Cranking" + "spitting" carb + "won't catch" sounds to me like "timing is off" possibly by 180degrees.

BTW, you questions aren't dumb and you have a private message.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:01 PM   #8
PitterPats72

Lightbulb

BigJackDaddy,

I had it wired to the ignition which on this truck is always hot. I changed it to the spade where the radio is because.....on this veh (not my VW) that spade just makes it so you can remember the time and radio stations if the key is not turned to ON or to the lft of straight up the radio does not run,
On my Beetle if you have it wired the way it comes from the fac. the radio will play w/o the key on. I'm also charging the battery now of of neighbors charger.

I think I had the spark plugs on the dist set up incorrectly, I looked at the diagram and I had #1 just to the right of the "batt" connector on the dist. the diagram shows it one over from the Tach connector. Now the spark plugs fit on easier (no stretching) and look better.

If I turn the dist 180 deg then the vac will be on the wrong side. So right now I'm not changing anything else until I get the battery charged. I can still turn it after the batt. is charged.

thanks for all your help.
Pat
just as long.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:14 PM   #9
Mike C

You can get the distributor in 180 with the vac in the same place... If you pull it up to where it won't engage the cam, the rotor will rotate, then you can drop it back in. The orientation of the housing is not important, but the rotor.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:22 PM   #10
cableguy0

its sounds as if its 180 out to me i have done it several times very easy thing to do
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:41 PM   #11
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

Here is a way to check your timing. Pull the #1 spark plug, put your thumb over the hole and bump the engine over until you feel compression starting to build. When this happens your timing tab and the mark on the balancer should be approaching 0 degrees. when you get it to 0, pull your distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing towards the #1 terminal of your cap. Remember to rotate the engine forward, don't back up to get to 0. If there is any slop in the timing chain it will show the rotor pointing one way when it really could be several degrees behind.

My guess is you either have a plug wire in the wrong order(been there-done that) or you are way off on timing.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #12
sub4rvr

I just put my HEI last monday and was having the same problem with the fuel spitting out of the carb. I had the plug wires hooked up like my '85. I checked my Haynes repair manual and it showed that V8 engines with points-type ignition had the spark plug wires moved one spot to the right . Since I'd pulled a points dist. and lined up the dist advance and rotor on the HEI, I changed my plug wires 1 terminal clockwise. It started right up !! Still haven't timed it or re-gaped the plugs. I hope this makes sense and helps out. I hate being a slow typer, I keep getting ahead of myself.
67 Mustang (2)
69 Torino GT
00 Mustang GT Conv.
sub4rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:17 AM   #13
PitterPats72

wiring

I hooked it up like a points like veh. I'm tired of messing with it and I'm going to take it to an auto electric place this morning to get the electrical checked out.

Over my head and right now wasting my time (my time, no offense meant to you guys), I got other projects to get done that I need the truck for.

Thanks for all the help,
Pat
just as long.