The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: 69 Fleetside, Build and Sell!

Meh, everyone should have to play by the same rules. It clearly states "build and sell" in the thread title. If the OP hadn't posted what everyone considers to be questionable repairs, there would already be posts with offers and "PM sent" and such. Until he's a suscribing member, this thread should be locked.

There have been many "why can this person post wtb or wiw" or whatever... fair is fair.

Kracin, it's well worth the $25.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #27
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Meh, everyone should have to play by the same rules. It clearly states "build and sell" in the thread title. If the OP hadn't posted what everyone considers to be questionable repairs, there would already be posts with offers and "PM sent" and such. Until he's a suscribing member, this thread should be locked.

There have been many "why can this person post wtb or wiw" or whatever... fair is fair.

Kracin, it's well worth the $25.
lol, no where did i say i was going to ship the truck to anyone, i said i planned on putting it in the lot on base... if you can find someone that works on hickam air force base hawaii that has been visiting this thread.. then thats a barely/maybe, but i didnt put the words FOR SALE anywhere in the thread or title, thank you.
Kracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:00 AM   #28
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpool View Post
i have a question, why would you take off flowmasters and install glasspacks? that's just wrong!
hah im sorry man, flowmasters do sound great on some cars, i actually run one on my 89 cressida thats making over 450 hp on an inline 6, and it sounds phenominal. but the flowmasters that were on thruck werent very audible, and even at full throttle, they didnt sound right, like it was too muffled, even for flowmasters.... so i thought id go for a more oldschool thing, and go with glasspacks, and let me tell you, they definately arent too loud being as they are 30" long each, and still give you that great sound like straight pipes but without causing every cop to turn his head toward your truck.

just my preference though
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Hey Kracin, what do you do at Hickam? My brother-in-law is some kind of electrician? there.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #30
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

maybe he wants to buy a truck?

guys I do not see where everyone is whining about flaming... I do not see anyone being ugly or acting like you see on other sites..

kracin, you pretty much posted that you were going to splice together a truck n sell it to a young kid. That will not set well with most folks.
I understand what you say your intentions are, but rereading posts before clicking the post button will eliminate most issues you are having

as far as for sale, it is mentioned in here etc, which many have used as loopholes before to sell. Thats why folks bring it to your attention.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #31
pocketpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracin View Post
hah im sorry man, flowmasters do sound great on some cars, i actually run one on my 89 cressida thats making over 450 hp on an inline 6, and it sounds phenominal. but the flowmasters that were on thruck werent very audible, and even at full throttle, they didnt sound right, like it was too muffled, even for flowmasters.... so i thought id go for a more oldschool thing, and go with glasspacks, and let me tell you, they definately arent too loud being as they are 30" long each, and still give you that great sound like straight pipes but without causing every cop to turn his head toward your truck.

just my preference though
i've heard some glasspacks sound okay, but around here (mo) most of the
rednecks have them ran out under the bumper with echo tips and constantly
rack them off, pretty annoying. my first truck was a 67 longbed with a big
block and had 30" packs dumped under the cad, sounded pretty good.
pocketpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #32
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 View Post
Hey Kracin, what do you do at Hickam? My brother-in-law is some kind of electrician? there.
hey, CS2 in the navy on pearl harbor, we are connected to hickam, stationed on the uss hopper right now.

also, like i said before, i only said i planned on selling to a younger person because of the way im building it, if i wanted to sell to an older guy or someone who was a kid when the trucks were new, id would have kept it stock ride height and a more stock color etc etc, instead of changing so many things around on it lol. not trying to DUPE anyone, with the amount of work going into it and time invested and money, its well worth the amount i want out of it, already received the springs and some other parts and have another 1200 in parts arriving in the next week. thanks all
Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #33
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
i dont get why they would call a hole repaired with fiberglass, a hidden problem.... its a legitemate patch and easier for someone that cannot weld or doesnt have access to a welder and is on a budget and a

The problem is that fiberglass IS NOT a legitimate patch. It is a temporary fix, and it is definitely a hidden problem if the buyer is unaware of it. This is from over 15 years of experience with bodywork. This is your first project as you said, and I don't care what Eastwood sells, fiberglass doesn't stay there long without actually causing further rusting issues, even if you cut the rust out. Been there, done it, and had to fix it again later. Doing something unknowingly or just to get by for yourself is one thing, but doing something like that to put off on someone else something that all of us that have been dealing with old cars and trucks for a while have encountered before. That's the problem a lot of people have with your build.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 06-26-2008 at 08:52 PM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #34
70LonghornCST

Hi Kracin! Just to throw this out to you, once you remove the rust, you may want to consider using metal patches instead of fiberglass. You'd be surprised at how easy it can be
to work with this material. If I can do it with success, you can too. And down the road, you'll have that much more experience behind your belt. Just a thought. Cheers!
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #35
68chevy68

ANYTHING worth doing is worth doing RIGHT. nuf said. I was that military kid! I still have my 61 though....Not ready to start on it. I would have rather of had the truck the way it sits now and get the truck for a fair price. At least that way I could put my money to good use.
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 AM   #36
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST View Post
Hi Kracin! Just to throw this out to you, once you remove the rust, you may want to consider using metal patches instead of fiberglass. You'd be surprised at how easy it can be
to work with this material. If I can do it with success, you can too. And down the road, you'll have that much more experience behind your belt. Just a thought. Cheers!
heh, i think people failed to read the reason why i was using fiberglass... i cannot weld in patches, no access to a welder lol, if anyone has any suggestions to still be able to save money on DIY repairs without welding, be my guest :P but im am most certainly not going to jb-weld sheet metal onto the truck lol.

oh and if the admin wants, they can change the title to something more forum friendly lol.. thanks for the cautionary words though. and ill eliminate any suggestion that i planned to actually sell the truck once it was finished, so i dont cause any problems with people thinking im going to ship a truck for 4000 dollars to the mainland....
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #37
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

I know you can pick up a gasless mig here pretty cheap but I don't know about there. It's not the best welding option but I thought I'd throw it out there

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #38
70LonghornCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 View Post
I know you can pick up a gasless mig here pretty cheap but I don't know about there. It's not the best welding option but I thought I'd throw it out there
Exactly! That's what I was thinking. We read your post. Just thinking you might consider looking into getting a welder and the experience to go along with it. This truck is a PERFECT learning opportunity with a minimal financial investment. Just a thought.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #39
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST View Post
Exactly! That's what I was thinking. We read your post. Just thinking you might consider looking into getting a welder and the experience to go along with it. This truck is a PERFECT learning opportunity with a minimal financial investment. Just a thought.
ok, for the third time lol, i live in an apartment, and they only allow you to weld at the auto shop if you have certifications to do so, i know how to weld, i just dont have anywhere to do it here, sorry guys heh.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #40
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
i dont cause any problems with people thinking im going to ship a truck for 4000 dollars to the mainland....
It ain't about where you ship it - everyone that owns (or wants to own) a Chevy truck is a member of the board...whether they actually belong or not.

Two thoughts:

1. You're not likely to get anywhere near the money out of this thing that you're putting into it unless you run into a complete moron that doesn't look it over carefully. You're sure not going to get 12K from a "paint over sins" resto.

2. Even if you do find a moron that's willing to buy it, because of the type of "repairs" you're considering I find the ethics here pretty questionable. You may not see it this way, but us folks that helped people out when they've been screwed over by someone doing these same type of "repairs" when the paint flakes off and the fiberglass cracks see this as a pretty dirty deal...

IMHO, I'd just delete the thread - it's sure leaving a bad taste in my mouth :/

Last edited by Billla; 06-27-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #41
PipsC10

Dang Kracin I was going to try and stick up for you some how, but I dont want to take a beating like you currently are. It's obvious that most people will not see it from your point of view, right or wrong. Good luck with the rest of your build.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #42
stingrayorangekrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipsC10 View Post
Dang Kracin I was going to try and stick up for you some how, but I dont want to take a beating like you currently are. It's obvious that most people will not see it from your point of view, right or wrong. Good luck with the rest of your build.

good luck with your build
stingrayorangekrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #43
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
It ain't about where you ship it - everyone that owns (or wants to own) a Chevy truck is a member of the board...whether they actually belong or not.

Two thoughts:

1. You're not likely to get anywhere near the money out of this thing that you're putting into it unless you run into a complete moron that doesn't look it over carefully. You're sure not going to get 12K from a "paint over sins" resto.

2. Even if you do find a moron that's willing to buy it, because of the type of "repairs" you're considering I find the ethics here pretty questionable. You may not see it this way, but us folks that helped people out when they've been screwed over by someone doing these same type of "repairs" when the paint flakes off and the fiberglass cracks see this as a pretty dirty deal...

IMHO, I'd just delete the thread - it's sure leaving a bad taste in my mouth :/

12k is a very very optimistic price for the amount of money in parts and work going into it but im fine with cutting even on it also heh, this is mainly a practice truck with bodywork, and i certainly have no problem showing someone pictures of the build since i already have plenty, and pictures of how things are repair. oh and for the record i just ordered the Inner Roof Header Panel from LMC for 99.95 (shipping to hawaii sucks, ugh, 140 in all for it). so that roof panel that i thought i was going to have to repair with fiberglass i may be able to get this piece replacing that and have a friend weld it in for me at his shop in town... if i can buy him enough beer.....

hell im confident enough in my ability to repair and build cars that ill even post up a pic of the guy who bought it and give him direction toward this very board so he can become a member and people can try to tell him that the truck he bought is a POS and let him write back in disbelief saying that its actually very nice and already knows all the things he may want to look at fixing later.

i get the same kind of "what a stupid kid", and "this guy doesnt even know what hes doing" when i drive my cressida around and bring it to shows because people think its a beat up POS, until the hood gets opened, but i roll around in a sleeper built to throw people off with more work (done solely on my own, which except a bit of electronics) into just the engine, than people have done in their lifetime of working on cars. so this thread and the replies definately dont phase me at all, and i wont delete it either, i dont like giving up on projects no matter how hard they are, or who doesnt like it, because cars are the biggest preference thing out there, especially custom ones. which is why my daily driver is a 450+ HP turbocharged 4 door luxury car that looks like i inherited it from my grandma

oh and thank you to the other guys who are wishing me luck on this... living in hawaii like i am, you need it for things like this lol (rains on sunny days out of nowhere alot!)
Old 06-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #44
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
this is mainly a practice truck with bodywork

i get the same kind of "what a stupid kid", and "this guy doesnt even know what hes doing"
Fiberglassing over rust isn't "bodywork".

I didn't say either; I just said that I find the approach dishonest.

Hey, it's your reality. But the "build" isn't likely to generate much interest or support from this group.

<unsub><ignore>
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:14 AM   #45
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
Fiberglassing over rust isn't "bodywork".

I didn't say either; I just said that I find the approach dishonest.

Hey, it's your reality. But the "build" isn't likely to generate much interest or support from this group.

<unsub><ignore>
honestly it would be easy to just buy a truck, sand the body down, fill in rust holes with bondo, paint over it, wash, wax, shine the engine bay and get away with murder on some unknowing kid... but as you notice that is hardly the case, thanks for the positive support!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #46
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

I just read the majority of this thread, and your original post, well, lets just say, describes the type of person you are. This is not your typical internet forum, and is not the place to say the type of stuff you said. Soooo... you are planning on taking advantage of a new private that has been saving his money for a while or better yet, someone that has been deployed and has a little green saved up. That's pretty cool of you. Same team, man. Keep that in mind.

As Vince Vaughn once said: 'you ever watch Band of Brothers? You should'

Sorry, mods, if I got out of line on this, but I see people prey on military members on a daily basis, and it really gets to me if it's one of our own doing it.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL

Last edited by dieselarmy13; 06-28-2008 at 04:57 AM.
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #47
Kracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Heck, I've had my days of fiberglass patching (as a matter of fact, I can take a pic of the '64 Chevy truck I sold years ago that I repaired the fenders with fiberglass at least 15 years ago, and they still look good.)
take a look here too if you want, theres more people than just me that use fiberglass repairs, and looks like his has lasted longer than some original body panels lasted...
Old 06-28-2008, 03:42 AM   #48
Kracin

Exclamation Re: 69 Fleetside, Build and Sell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
I just read the majority of this thread, and your original post, well, lets just say, describes the type of person you are. This is not your typical internet forum, and is not the place to say the type of stuff you said. Soooo... you are planning on taking advantage of a new private that has been saving his money for a while or better yet, someone that has been dpeloyed and has a little green saved up. That's pretty cool of you. Same team, man. Keep that in mind.

As Vince Vaughn once said: 'you ever watch Band of Brothers? You should'

Sorry, mods, if I got out of line on this, but I see people prey on military members on a daily basis, and it really gets to me if it's one of our own doing it.
i like how people read only the parts of a thread they want..... once again to reiterate, its not to take advantage of someone brand new to the military just because they want to spend their money , its because the kind of build it is and how i want to do the paint and interior that will appeal to younger guys more than older guys.... and did i mention how hard it is to find a legitimate buyer on the island for a car, its much easier to sell on base since theres people coming and going constantly and everyone knows the for sale lot to have a lot of good and bad in it. the one place that everyone who comes to the island looking for a car/truck/jeep goes.

oh and thanks for saying i prey on military members, cause i didnt just get back from a 6 month deployment in the gulf of iran and have my ship get approached by speedboats possibly carrying explosives at high speeds, to come back and hear someone say im a scumbag who takes advantage of people in the military, when they dont even bother reading the entire thread and choose to read 1 line and base their post off of it.

if the mods want, and by all means, you can delete this thread and hopefully i can start another one later and i wont have all these 1 track mind people trying to discredit me before things even get past the first week of the build.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #49
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
.... i dont have the time or resources to do a truck completely right... this is basically to put some money in my pocket and fund the truck i really want..... im selling to a specific demographic here (younger kids who are in the military, just moving to the island, looking for a sweet ride and something to blow their paycheck on..happens all the time.

Well put. Luckily I make all my young troops take me with them anytime they buy a vehicle.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #50
HoupPhotography

WOW! I haven't ever seen this side of the board. In all honesty Kracin, just do the right thing. If you don't do it out of respect of a classic, a fellow military companion or lack of skill.... Do it for Karma!

I'm not saying your going to "botch-hack" the truck together and tell the buyer it's a "frame off restore" and try to take them for $12k in a deliberate way, HOWEVER, with your lack of experience this is what is going to happen and that's maybe why most are irritated with what your intentions are.

I don't mean that in a bad way but when you say "restored" folks eyes open up and think EVERYTHING was done CORRECTLy, replacing metal with metal.
Because of lack of experience, your idea of RESTORED is completly different than what it actually means.

As for the welding, since your looking to LEARN on this truck, why not get one of the certified welders from base on-board with the project and split the profit 50\50. I know you mentioned that you can weld, but there is a HUGE difference from being certified to "I can weld". Just wanted to add my change (.02) and try to help out a little!