The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
FedLegal

Smile NEW HERE Need Advice for 1966 C60 Engine Swap

Hi guys,

Been a while since I have been on a forum but glad to be here. Glad the community is active.

Couple months ago my brother bought a 1966 Chevy C60 because he saw it and liked it. It has the 292 6 cylinder, manual transmission and 2 speed rear axle. Between the two of us we have limited knowledge on the C60 chassis. I am an import guy and used to putting motors into cars they don't belong in such as a 2JZ in a 240sx and a LQ9 into the same 240sx.

We have decided this winter we are going to swap in a 350 small block v8 with an automatic transmission. There is a 89 GMC 2500 local to us that we plan to get the motor from.

Any advice, tips, hints, tricks would be greatly appreciated. Planning to keep it a dually.
FedLegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: NEW HERE Need Advice for 1966 C60 Engine Swap

I won't be the first to say it: keep the stock engine/trans/rear.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
5Tractorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I'll second that. The heavy haulers are getting to be far and few now-a-days.... Everyone either chops 'em up or parts them out for pickups.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

On this site there is a Heavy Haulers area - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=239
Have you looked into this C60 site? http://www.chevyc60.com/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

For the engine, you will have to move the passenger side engine mount bracket forward to match the drivers side. Then you will have to remove the bellhousing crossmember and install a rear trans mount. I'm not sure how well shifting the 2 speed rear will work with an auto trans. Plus with an auto trans you will not have an e-brake unless you use a TH475 from a motorhome.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I'll be the 3rd to say it....please keep it a stocker. Stock big rigs are rare and it's a shame to see them ruined for lack of better words. Plus to be honest a 350 ain't gonna haul that thing around much better. Now something cooler and more original would be a 409.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:51 AM   #7
studeclunker

Honestly, if you're going to upgrade to a V8, then do it properly. Put in a more commercial sized engine. There are any number of ton-and-a-half chassis out there under dead motorhomes with low mileage. I have one, as a matter of fact. Put in a big-block with a commercial tranny so that that big C-60 can do the job it's set up for. You can pull the whole drive train out of the motorhome getting superior brakes as a bonus. Also, a CDL won't be necessary to drive it with the single-speed diff.
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
FedLegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
On this site there is a Heavy Haulers area - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=239
Have you looked into this C60 site? http://www.chevyc60.com/
Thanks for the links.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
FedLegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy View Post
I'll second that. The heavy haulers are getting to be far and few now-a-days.... Everyone either chops 'em up or parts them out for pickups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
I'll be the 3rd to say it....please keep it a stocker. Stock big rigs are rare and it's a shame to see them ruined for lack of better words. Plus to be honest a 350 ain't gonna haul that thing around much better. Now something cooler and more original would be a 409.
As much as I appreciate original stock nostalgia, we are already set on swapping.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
FedLegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the forum

For the engine, you will have to move the passenger side engine mount bracket forward to match the drivers side. Then you will have to remove the bellhousing crossmember and install a rear trans mount. I'm not sure how well shifting the 2 speed rear will work with an auto trans. Plus with an auto trans you will not have an e-brake unless you use a TH475 from a motorhome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studeclunker View Post
Honestly, if you're going to upgrade to a V8, then do it properly. Put in a more commercial sized engine. There are any number of ton-and-a-half chassis out there under dead motorhomes with low mileage. I have one, as a matter of fact. Put in a big-block with a commercial tranny so that that big C-60 can do the job it's set up for. You can pull the whole drive train out of the motorhome getting superior brakes as a bonus. Also, a CDL won't be necessary to drive it with the single-speed diff.
Any specific motorhomes to key an eye out for?

Can we keep the dually with a single speed diff?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
studeclunker

There are a variety of ways you can handle this.

You can do a frame-over, that is to say, take the chassis out from under a Motorhome and put your cab on it. However, you will need to modify things a bit because that chassis will be set up for a Cab-Forward setup (COE). The advantage of this is you get a modern chassis and drive train (complete) and the outline of the classic truck. In Soviet California, the cab and VIN thereof are what the vehicle goes off of. Hence, though you have say a '86 chassis and motor, since the cab is a '66, you won't have to smog.

Or you can transfer the desired components of the donor chassis over to your original. I would transfer the entire drivetrain including the dual rear axle. They are designed to work together and that is a team you really would be wise to keep together.

Most motorhomes use some kind of Step-Van chassis. For instance, my 86 ElDorado has a Chevrolet Cab-Forward chassis (1 1/2 ton Step-Van). There are a lot of them out there that are now having trouble with leaking, siding and skirting coming loose and losing it on the road, etc... So people are looking to simply unload them. Very often one can find one of these with very low mileage and in excellent mechanical shape even though the camper itself is going to hell in a handbasket. They make wonderful donor vehicles, aside from having to dispose of the Camper's components. By the by, if the appliances work, they can be sold to help finance the project. In fact, with a bit of patience and careful handling, good appliances can sell for what you have paid for the whole rig in the first place!
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
raidmagic

Quote:

You can do a frame-over, that is to say, take the chassis out from under a Motorhome and put your cab on it. However, you will need to modify things a bit because that chassis will be set up for a Cab-Forward setup (COE). The advantage of this is you get a modern chassis and drive train (complete) and the outline of the classic truck. In Soviet California, the cab and VIN thereof are what the vehicle goes off of. Hence, though you have say a '86 chassis and motor, since the cab is a '66, you won't have to smog.

Or you can transfer the desired components of the donor chassis over to your original. I would transfer the entire drivetrain including the dual rear axle. They are designed to work together and that is a team you really would be wise to keep together.

Most motorhomes use some kind of Step-Van chassis. For instance, my 86 ElDorado has a Chevrolet Cab-Forward chassis (1 1/2 ton Step-Van). There are a lot of them out there that are now having trouble with leaking, siding and skirting coming loose and losing it on the road, etc... So people are looking to simply unload them. Very often one can find one of these with very low mileage and in excellent mechanical shape even though the camper itself is going to hell in a handbasket. They make wonderful donor vehicles, aside from having to dispose of the Camper's components. By the by, if the appliances work, they can be sold to help finance the project. In fact, with a bit of patience and careful handling, good appliances can sell for what you have paid for the whole rig in the first place!
^^^This guys knows what's going on. I just was given an 85 Fleetwood motorhome. 454/400 trans. Free. Just haul away. It cost me $175 to have it moved. I've almost got the whole body removed. I didn't hassle with trying to keep anything but if you found a place to advertise them people love vintage appliances.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Any Class A or B motorhome with a Chevy chassis and drivetrain. Usually in the '70's and '80's. You just have to change the 2 speed diff to a single speed diff of the same size. The Class A and B motorhomes are dually's but have a lighter weight rated differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedLegal View Post
Any specific motorhomes to key an eye out for?

Can we keep the dually with a single speed diff?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
FedLegal

Quote:

really dont have the ability to start swapping cabs or chassis.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
FedLegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Any Class A or B motorhome with a Chevy chassis and drivetrain. Usually in the '70's and '80's. You just have to change the 2 speed diff to a single speed diff of the same size. The Class A and B motorhomes are dually's but have a lighter weight rated differential.
with changing the diff do i have the change the axles too or would it be the same bolt pattern?
Old 12-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm talking about the entire rear end from drum to drum......I call them differentials. If you could find a single speed third member that would fit into your housing that would work, but that is the proverbial needle in a haystack. The axles have nothing to do with the wheel stud pattern.....have you looked at the rear end in this truck?

What are you wanting to end up with with this build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedLegal View Post
with changing the diff do i have the change the axles too or would it be the same bolt pattern?