The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #1
Bad Attitude

First Chev Truck Fun

Hey all, starting a thread on my 78 'Deluxe' that was given to me. The truck ran when park because the trans gave out so it "should" work but will probably need brakes done and new points etc etc... I'm very new to Chevys but I mainly work on VW's so I'm already familiar with lots of maintenance
I know the truck has some rust in the rocker beneath the passenger door but what other areas should I check out? I plan on lowering it quite a bit, one of my Bugs is lowered a lil bit so I'm already used to a bad ride. I'll probably do 5/7 for now and airshocks down the road in the rear because I'm gonna use the truck to tow around an old travel trailer and occasionally a flat bed. See pics below..
Attached Images

Bad Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: First Chev Truck Fun

Nice bug and it looks like a good start for your truck. Welcome to the board.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

A 78 should have an HEI distributor so no points. Probably wouldn't hurt to do new plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

If it has the flat pellet type converter, replace with a modern honeycomb type. The pellet type sucked power. Depending on the GVWR, it might be a non cat truck.

Some common rust spots: back of inner fender, bottom of outer front fender behind the tires, bottom of doors, cab along the doors, everything under the battery. If it has the vinyl floor mats, pull and check the cab floor. The mats can trap moisture. Back cab corners. Back of the bed-dirt gets trapped under the bed and rusts out from below.

That paint may buff and polish up to a near new look.

Never understood the lowering thing but probably because most of the roads around here would have your bug floorless in just a few miles.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

nice truck..especially for free...and welcome
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
daddyjeep

That is a cool bug. The truck looks like a pretty solid start. You came to a good place for support. there are a lot of knowledgeable guys here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
LT7A

That's a good gift. Looks like it'll clean up well. I like the bug but you're gonna have to buy some SAE wrenches now, ha.

Welcome aboard from a local. Keep us posted on your progress -- maybe start a build thread? With the bug as evidence, it will be cool to see how you put the truck together.

Last edited by LT7A; 08-31-2017 at 11:10 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I am really "OLD SCHOOL" and just do not know why all you young guys want to put the truck so close to the ground. I guess if I was also young I might be the same way. I like it stock or on all the '55-57 Chevys I had we use to lift the cars a couple of inches. Use to go to the salvage yards and get the front spendels (sp) off some 55-57 Chevys that back then there were plenty in salvage yards and weld them together and really gave the cars a nice look. But that was back in the 60's and early 70's. But still like the OE height.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
LT7A

Not to be antagonistic but I'm going to go out on a limb here since this is the second post questioning the owner's desire to lower his truck.

I think I can safely say that:
People who like lowered trucks like lowered trucks.
People who like stock height trucks like stock height trucks.
People who like lifted trucks like lifted trucks.

Anybody see a problem with that theory? I like 'em all and have one of each although the stock height one is gonna get dropped. There are reasons for all of them and I would easily admit that lowering a truck doesn't typically add to its practicality. But it makes it look hella cool (to some of us) and the looks are worth it (to some of us). But it's a truck, and now it can haul less, and might scrape. So I think it is valid to question why do it...

However, I would recommend that if the owner hasn't stated a preference and you think it would look cool lifted/lowered/whatever and you feel like saying it, go ahead. If the owner has stated their preference, I don't see the benefit in disagreeing.

EOS (end of sermon)

Later fellas, been thinking about this for awhile and the 2x why lower it comments did the trick, ha.

...now back to BadAttitude and his cool truck.

Last edited by LT7A; 09-01-2017 at 07:58 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote