The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Longbed68

1930s Truck as a Daily Driver???

I've really had a hankering to do this for years and I'm starting to get serious about going ahead with it. I'd like to have a 1930s era Chevy truck (anything before the time when they started integrating the headlights into the fenders) as a daily driver. I would just drive it around town and to haul things when needed, as my wife and I have a modern car to drive when necessary.

I don't want a hot rod truck, so it'd be mostly bone stock. I would add some important safety features like seat belts and suitable taillights. Otherwise, how realistic would this be?

For starters, I won't pretend like I know much about this era of truck. I don't, so I'd appreciate some basic information. Two key questions.

-Do they have electronic starters or were they still hand-crank only?

-Do they have hydraulic brakes?

I assume the answer to both questions is yes, but I really don't know. I know it sometimes took trucks a while to catch up to cars in these areas.

More questions:

-How easy is it to find parts (brake parts, engine parts, etc.)?

-If I were to buy one without an engine, would I be able to drop something like a crate 350 in it or is that a whole other can of worms?

-What reasons would you recommend me to NOT consider one of these trucks as a daily driver?

I appreciate your input and support.

Thanks.

Dan
Longbed68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: 1930s Truck as a Daily Driver???

ANswer to your questions. early 30's trucks wont have hydraulic brakes, they could have electronic starters though. the ride would be rough to say the least, if you have excelent roads around town and your in good physical health, you should be fine. these were used as trucks and not really transportation.

Filling Station would have a lot of the maintenance parts, again if the truck is an early truck with would bones, I would never put a v8 in it, the vibrations would force the nails out and it would basically come apart. If it were a mid to late 30's that wouldnt be an issue.

These trucks in original form would need alot of maintenance in my opinion. My dad has a 1930 Chevy car and it is constantly needing attention, not major but tweek here and a tweek there, it leaks a little oil as all do, but you would be the coolest dude in town IMO too!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Longbed68

Thanks for the input.

Another question, what is the windshield wiper situation on these trucks, and is there a popular upgrade available?

Dan
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
old yelr

I have a '40 Chevy 1/2 ton and the brakes are hydraulic and the starter is battery powered with a foot switch that you manually operate but you can also crank them by hand. Pretty sure they were like that at least back to 1937 maybe earlier.
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
old yelr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbed68 View Post
Thanks for the input.

Another question, what is the windshield wiper situation on these trucks, and is there a popular upgrade available?

Dan
Posted via Mobile Device
The wiper(s) are mounted on the top above the windshield. Most only came with a wiper on the driver's side but there are kits to add the second one. The reason they are on the top is because the windshield cranks out from the bottom for fresh air.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
SlowYourRoll

Check out the Honkey A** Message Board aka the H.A.M.B.

I've stumbled across a few posts there about this era of trucks.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
Posted via Mobile Device
SlowYourRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Longbed68

Thanks again for the input. Sounds like I'll keep my eyes open for a late '30s or very early '40s truck. Again, I just want something with the headlights separate from the fenders.

Not many out there that haven't been hot rodded, though.

Dan
Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
old yelr

1940 was the last year that the headlight were on the side of the doghouse. They were mounted on the fenders starting in 1941.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Longbed68

I'm still wanting to continue with this plan and I'm getting more serious about saving up some money for it. Problem is, I just can't seem to find a good truck. They're all either A) Complete basketcases that are half missing; B) Hot rodded and chopped; or C) Totally restored and going for big bucks. I just want a driving, roadworthy old truck that's in "used car" condition, or at least a complete truck that just needs some tinkering. They just seem to be super rare in that condition. Besides craigslist and ebay, which I've been searching daily, are there any good sites that might help me out?

Thanks!

Dan
Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Americanrider

I am working on my '36 Low cab to get it back on the road. 327, Muncie and a '57 car rearend. Front hubs from a '54 car to keep it 5 lug. Take a look at Stovebolt.com and there are a lot of great ideas to update and restore a older truck.
Attached Images

Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Wayne67vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbed68 View Post
I'm still wanting to continue with this plan and I'm getting more serious about saving up some money for it. Problem is, I just can't seem to find a good truck. They're all either A) Complete basketcases that are half missing; B) Hot rodded and chopped; or C) Totally restored and going for big bucks. I just want a driving, roadworthy old truck that's in "used car" condition, or at least a complete truck that just needs some tinkering. They just seem to be super rare in that condition. Besides craigslist and ebay, which I've been searching daily, are there any good sites that might help me out?

Thanks!

Dan
I like to use www.adhuntr.com to search all the craiglists at one time. Put whatever you are looking for inside "quotation marks" .

I rebuilt a '38 Chevy truck from a field find in about 16 months.

progress photos
Wayne67vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Longbed68

Thanks for the info, guys.

I may have found my truck. Will let you know.

Dan
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
skymangs

I'm doing a 33 1.5 ton truck with the same concept. Swapping axles to 50'ish 1 tons to gain hydraulic brakes, newer 6, replacing wood skeleton with square tube, etc. This truck has electric start, but the brakes were mechanical. The build is just starting, but the link is in my sig.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote