The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Headlight Adjusters

My '95 Suburban has single headlights and the plastic BS for the adjustment screws went bad. From what I hear that's really common, like the interior door handles failing. I replaced the driver side and now the passenger adjuster "clips" also failed. I am having a heck of a time with this. I got the adjusters at NAPA and on this side the things won't "snap" in. I tried and tried. It looks like the prongs are too long, like they didn't account for the thickness of the core support. I tried prying them out to grab, broke one. I took the other and trimmed those prongs a bit, still had to pry them open to grab. I'm not sure that will hold up. So, back into town for a couple more (one spare). Try again, trim some and pry...broke both! Now the NAPA store is closed so I am forced to go to Advance. Well, Advance it is not, more like behind if you ask me. After answering "305 or 350?" with "454" for frikkin' headlamp parts the guy says they don't even carry them...What??!! This is a common wear problem on probably the most common single vehicle design out there on the road and they don't carry them?? 88-98 Chevy/GMC C & K Blazer/Jimmy, Tahoe/Yukon, 2dr/4dr, Suburban 1500/2500, and 1500/2500/3500/3500HD Trucks...millions!!!! And they don't carry them...just nuts. So my Suburban sits out there with one headlight out, the battery removed, and I have to try the NAPA once again tomorrow...if they have more.

Am I the only one who has had problems with these fasteners? What the trick?This is what I absolutely hate about working on newer crap...plastic clip-on bull scat. Give me a screw or bolt and I can handle it. I own wrenches and screw drivers and don't give a rats ass about the penny saved on the vehicles that sell for more and more every year. I may just JB weld them in place. I don't think that will create any problems down the road. That would take care of the part that goes bad.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
abig84

Re: Headlight Adjusters

i remember the last time i bought a set of them from the help section at autozone they were complete garbage, basically just broke the second i went to tighten them. ended up just snagging some at a junkyard
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I had the same thought, but I'm worried those will fail, too. I ought to weld a nut to a washer and weld that in place...something like the factory was too cheap to do.

EDIT: Just checked online, part# 42119. So lame

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wc...9_pri_larg.jpg

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-14-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
abig84

yeah junkyards are even a gamble. i did have to get a few as some of them were so brittle they snapped just taking them out
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Just keep in mind NAPA had to follow suit of every other parts house buying off-shore junk for 3¢ on the $1 or close the doors. It doesn't matter which parts house you buy from,, it's all the same junk any more. I have found a few pieces on evilbay that were N.O.S.,, and also found a few pieces of imported JUNK that were stuffed in a GM box (after they took the NOS piece out) SO be cautious.

Headlight adjusters, interior door parts and such were seldom specific to a specific vehicle. Don't limit your search to 95 burb' and you might find some NOS pieces. Problem is to find out what GM part no. adjusters you need, then search for that # HOWEVER,, some of the older vehicles,, the GM parst store is carrying same import junk. So again.. be cautious. (like the TBI throttle cable is now universal and about a foot too long,, but one GM part # fits all (hangs head in disgust)

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I know all about that stuff. Doesn't make life any easier knowing what has the world all effed up. I just need to mount my headlight with these $4 and some odd cents parts that cost a nickle to produce and ship. Nothing costs us any less for having our jobs sold out. I just pads Mr. Big's pockets more than ever before. GM saves a penny back in '95 by using this plastic piece rather than a proper welded nut.

Yeah, I thought about checking into finding GM pieces. I need to change this title to "Curse Of The Headlight Adjusters". So, I go back in to NAPA this morning to get another pack of two and the guy says "Nope, don't carry them", same as Advance. I said you mean you can't find them because I just bought some last evening here. He says, "Do you have the part#?". Oh boy, here we go. I have to run back out to my place for the receipt and the pkg, both same PN. I call first, since I'm cursed, to assure they even had more. I give the PN and they guy says, "Yep, we have three pkgs". Alright, I run back into town (trip #4), Turning left on green arrow some dick thinks he has some right to turn right on red and squeeze himself between me and the car in front. He might as well be jumping rope with a rattlesnake at this point, but he was spared the road rage. I get to NAPA, give the PN, he looks it up, and nope don't have any. Say what??? I just called to be sure. e said "You didn't call me. I'm the only one here. Holy cow! I dialed them up on my speed dial. What strange forces are at work here? This is a 1/2 hr job for a $5 part! I put my phone in my pocket and it butt dialed the number, so I talk to the guy who I had spoke to earlier and he's at the main store up the road 20 miles. WTF? My phine says "Mt. Airy NAPA and that is line1 at my store that I have been using since some of the people here were born! They said they were having phone problems yesterday, well I guess they still do and somehow my call got forwarded to the Wormin's Mill store. The guy at my store tells me to come around and see why he couldn't find it. Some computer geek programmer had them under "accessories". Really? I'd say more like a necessity and it belongs under lighting or electrical or body or however they are set-up. They are getting me a couple more for tomorrow. Yep, the job spans three days like I have nothing else to do. Now what, wait till tomorrow for parts that are just as likely to break as what I had already? I'll trim a little more off the prongs this time. But, actually I am considering taking a fender washer and JB Welding the back of the plastic crap and JBing that to the core support. It's pulling out to the front that needs to be prevented. I'll drill something out to fit over the front side and JB that, too. That's what I am considering right now

Tim

Old 05-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Here's what I did. I said screw that incorrectly made replica of the original plastic junk and used good old American ingenuity, like we did before big corporations took over the world. For the side adjuster I JB'd the plastic part on the stops, pushed it through the core support, and JB'd a 1/2" washer, slipped it over, stuck it to the core support, and smeared JB around the plastic part ti the washer. For the top adjuster I JB'd the plastic to a fender washer with a 1/4" hole, JB'd the washer to the core support, JB'd another 1/2" washer over the front, and smeared. I used the quick stuff, waited an hour, and now I'm waiting for dark to adjust my beam. I wasted all that time when all the while the best solution was to half-ass it That's what we have to work with in this modern world.

Tim

Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

All happy with my success I go out on the road to adjust the beam. No traffic Sunday night and my road is straight as an arrow in front of my place. But it doesn't seem the driver side, the one I replaced the adjusters on last fall, is pulling over to my side of the road. I back it out a lot, then get the light and pop the hood to look and see if I have enough thread so I don't back it all the way out. Plenty, like a whole lot. Seems strange after all the turning. With the light shining on the back side I try to back out and that's when the whole thing fell out, that gall dang plastic crap and all. I inspect and it's made with the prongs too long also. I guess it didn't work out right last fall either, but it was holding all that time. Looks like it's repeat what I did on the passenger side with JB Weld. I swear...

Tim