The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
Xeen

Re: 'Wintergreen' 1969 GMC Build

From my experience body work is hardly ever done right.
Most of these pickups are D.I.Y. for the main reason that they dont want to spend the money to pay someone to do it right and if it was done by a so called pro they usually bond the replacement panels on and then slather the bondo on.
These days to get good metal work you have to find a real metal fabricator who refuses to do it any way except the right way and those guys are hard to find.
Then on top of that it is hard to find someone who wont cheat you out of a ton of money by over charging for their services, I know I sound pessimistic and jaded but it is the cold hard reality of this world today.
I am looking forward to this build and cant wait to see what happens next.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
From my experience body work is hardly ever done right.
Most of these pickups are D.I.Y. for the main reason that they dont want to spend the money to pay someone to do it right and if it was done by a so called pro they usually bond the replacement panels on and then slather the bondo on.
These days to get good metal work you have to find a real metal fabricator who refuses to do it any way except the right way and those guys are hard to find.
Then on top of that it is hard to find someone who wont cheat you out of a ton of money by over charging for their services, I know I sound pessimistic and jaded but it is the cold hard reality of this world today.
I am looking forward to this build and cant wait to see what happens next.
I hear ya, there are always guys around that will do it right, and for a fair price, but the problem is you typically have to get in line for them. Either that or start making friends.

Thanks, more to come...
rusty_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
rusty_67

Got the SS bolts and washers installed on the timing cover, not really much I guess but its something.

Started prepping the tranny last night, here is a before pic.

After pics to come...

I plan to find a shop that will port my intake this weekend. So hopefully I can get that done and get this engine topped off within the next couple weeks.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
gdavis

I too understand the work involved in making the body work a master piece. My brother in law does that for a living. he is going to fine tune my work when i am done.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
I too understand the work involved in making the body work a master piece. My brother in law does that for a living. he is going to fine tune my work when i am done.
Yeah its definitely a bonus if you can get the major stuff done yourself and have someone you know that can make all the finishing touches.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #31
rusty_67

So I got the transmission all cleaned up. Scotchbrite + a tooth brush + sodium hydroxide based degreaser + elbow grease=

No its not wet, its actually reflecting the light. Not really sure why I cleaned it so well, I just started going and couldn't stop. I wanted to paint it this weekend and get it mounted, but I need to get some proper ventilation in my garage. When I painted my engine the vapors ended making their way into the house. Nobody wants that. I've got an exhaust fan on order; it should be here in the next couple days, if not today. Once that is up and running I'll be on my way again.

Also this weekend, I stripped down the intake and dropped it off at the machine shop. Hopefully I'll find out today what that will cost and when it'll be done. In the meantime I need to order up some deletes for the egr, air, etc.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #32
rusty_67

So its been a a little while since an update I know. My dad got quite sick over Christmas and into the new year, and ended up giving us quite a scare. Spent quite a bit of time at the hospital and hosting family, but he seems to be on the mend now which is a relief to say the least.

That being said, I have made a little bit of progress on the truck. I got an exhaust fan setup so now when I'm painting in the garage we don't have evacuate the house. So I finally got the tranny painted.

Then it was time to install it.

Remembered to put the TC on first!

Got it lined up and bolted to the engine

Then installed the new cross member (and new mount of course)

Hopefully get going on the front end sometime this week.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #33
rusty_67

I also found some time to get a tv mounted in the garage, might have something to do with the NHL season finally starting.

I had to do some surgery on the TV first. The main control board is starting to bite the dust. I ordered a replacement from some scum bag in china and after 6 months of sending me a piece of junk, me sending it back for a replacement, me getting screwed around by him, them finally sending me a another only to find out it was another piece of junk. So now I have to put the old one back in and screw dealing with this guy anymore, I'll find one in North America.

Life is good, would be even better with a new control board. And yes, that is a rerun of an Oilers game on Superbowl Sunday... sue me.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
67ctener

Great work. You make welding frames together looks easy
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Great work. You make welding frames together looks easy
Posted via Mobile Device
haha, well being that its only supporting the bumper, rad support, etc it didn't require too much thought. I would have gone into a bit more detail if it were behind the front end.

Thanks for the good words.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #36
rusty_67

Was able to get some more work done this week. Started assembling the front end. Learned how to pack a bearing! Thanks youtube!

Today is a holiday here in BC, so when I get home from work, I should be able to get the other side and more done.

I do have a bit of a clearance issue between the UCA and the McGaughys Spindle, but from what I've read on the board its not uncommon when not under full load. Also as you can see, the shock isn't installed yet so the travel isn't limited. So I'll hold off on firing up the grinder for now.

This is also good shot of the blanket I use to tuck it in at night...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #37
67cheby
67cheby

nice work !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #38
jkeating1

Its funny, when you wonder how something will look, or work---sooner or later you see a good example of it on this forum! I've been pondering painting my small block green like my sheetmetal, and couldnt really visualize how it would look--now I know! This is looking great! Can't wait to see it progress. You'll be good with a camera when you get through!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
nice work !
Thanks Cheby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
Its funny, when you wonder how something will look, or work---sooner or later you see a good example of it on this forum! I've been pondering painting my small block green like my sheetmetal, and couldnt really visualize how it would look--now I know! This is looking great! Can't wait to see it progress. You'll be good with a camera when you get through!
Glad I could give you that visual! I'm really happy with the way it looks. My goal with this truck is to customize it in a way that things don't look out of place. If that makes sense. Thanks for the good words!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
rusty_67

I've been having trouble getting on to Picasa for some reason to manage my pictures. I managed to get the spindle and rotor on the otherside. Now working on getting all the steering linkage cleaned up, painted and mounted.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #41
jkeating1

What are you doing on your inner fenders, core support, and underhood--green or black? I have iron heads and intake, so I'll already have more green going on in there (dark turquoise, actually)!
JK
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #42
rusty_67

Quote:
What are you doing on your inner fenders, core support, and underhood--green or black? I have iron heads and intake, so I'll already have more green going on in there (dark turquoise, actually)!
JK
Posted via Mobile Device
I Haven't %100 decided yet but as of now I'm thinking...

Inside of outer fenders Green
Inner fenders black
Rad support black
underside of hood Green
Firewall Green

So a pretty much stock scheme.

There will be more green on the engine yet. The Intake will be green with polished ribs (if you do a quick search on LT1 intakes you'll see what I mean) and the valve covers will also be green. Not sure with the valve covers whether to use the same paint as on the engine or actually use the paint going on the body. I'm leaning towards body, just because they will be more prominent, but then again they'll be siting right beside the intake.... decisions decisions....

I was also trying to find green sparkplug wires, but haven't had much luck. So will probably go with black or grey.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
jkeating1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_67 View Post
I Haven't %100 decided yet but as of now I'm thinking...

Inside of outer fenders Green
Inner fenders black
Rad support black
underside of hood Green
Firewall Green

So a pretty much stock scheme.

There will be more green on the engine yet. The Intake will be green with polished ribs (if you do a quick search on LT1 intakes you'll see what I mean) and the valve covers will also be green. Not sure with the valve covers whether to use the same paint as on the engine or actually use the paint going on the body. I'm leaning towards body, just because they will be more prominent, but then again they'll be siting right beside the intake.... decisions decisions....

I was also trying to find green sparkplug wires, but haven't had much luck. So will probably go with black or grey.
I'm right with you on everything. I may have a black air cleaner where you have the green/polish option on the top. That seems to make the black inner fenders a correct choice for me. Glad you said that about the valve covers, because I'm planning on green OEM's too. For what it's worth, IMO, black is the way to go on the wires--make them disappear. IMO, same way with the battery--as near all black as possible (unless its an Optima, maybe). Of course, standing there looking into the engine bay for months gives the builder the best vantage point to pick colors, so you'll have it perfect when you get to that!

It seems nitpicking to labor over a seemingly small point, but I've seen a lot of engine bays of all styles that really nailed it for their particular theme. Others, not so much. When you venture away from Chevy orange, its easy to go awry! BTW, I love Slick67's choices. I envision mine similar, but all green instead of his pearl orange (and without his trademark breather).

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #44
rusty_67

Quote:
I'm right with you on everything. I may have a black air cleaner where you have the green/polish option on the top. That seems to make the black inner fenders a correct choice for me. Glad you said that about the valve covers, because I'm planning on green OEM's too. For what it's worth, IMO, black is the way to go on the wires--make them disappear. IMO, same way with the battery--as near all black as possible (unless its an Optima, maybe). Of course, standing there looking into the engine bay for months gives the builder the best vantage point to pick colors, so you'll have it perfect when you get to that!

It seems nitpicking to labor over a seemingly small point, but I've seen a lot of engine bays of all styles that really nailed it for their particular theme. Others, not so much. When you venture away from Chevy orange, its easy to go awry! BTW, I love Slick67's choices. I envision mine similar, but all green instead of his pearl orange (and without his trademark breather).

Thanks for your input!
Like they say, the devil's in the details. Slick67's bay is definitely nice. I actually have a similar system for the wires, apart from the fact mine is for center bolt covers. I actually forgot that I had those. I'll have to get going and clean up the valve covers so I can test fit them.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #45
chevy88

Nice job on your truck, it's nice to see it done right from the frame an up.
Posted via Mobile Device

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #46
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy88 View Post
Nice job on your truck, it's nice to see it done right from the frame an up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks chevy88, I had a read through your build. Shortening a box is quite a challenge. I pondered actually going to a 7' box, but then I thought about trim, bed wood, etc. It would have been to much of a hassle. Plus I could see me kicking myself everytime I went to throw a 2x4, sheet of plywood, sheet of drywall, etc, in the back. Just wouldn't be worth the 'uniqueness'.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #47
Square_78

Cool build!

That is going to be a nice truck. I have also been thinking about doing a custom length bed. Mine is a long bed and it's too long, bit the short box looks too stubby to me. I was thinking about taking 9" out in front of the rear wheels and not cutting the back at all. That would make it 11" longer than a short bed. I think it would look visually balanced. I can't even imagine what it would cost me to have it done though. It's gunna have to wait a couple years I think.

If you need a GOOD metal work guy in Kelowna, go talk to Tyler at Liquid Steel. He is freaking amazing. He recently did an all metal wide body on my friends 1970 camaro and it's just a work of art. It's now about 10" wider than stock and looks factory. He did that so he can tuck 405/25R24's. He is an amazing craftsman. He mostly does old hotrods and custom roadsters and other super high end builds.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #48
rusty_67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Cool build!

That is going to be a nice truck. I have also been thinking about doing a custom length bed. Mine is a long bed and it's too long, bit the short box looks too stubby to me. I was thinking about taking 9" out in front of the rear wheels and not cutting the back at all. That would make it 11" longer than a short bed. I think it would look visually balanced. I can't even imagine what it would cost me to have it done though. It's gunna have to wait a couple years I think.

If you need a GOOD metal work guy in Kelowna, go talk to Tyler at Liquid Steel. He is freaking amazing. He recently did an all metal wide body on my friends 1970 camaro and it's just a work of art. It's now about 10" wider than stock and looks factory. He did that so he can tuck 405/25R24's. He is an amazing craftsman. He mostly does old hotrods and custom roadsters and other super high end builds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny you should say that, another member on here (Linguini, his build is 'project dream 65', his name is Ed) used Tyler to do a bunch of work for him and couldn't say enough about him. I should have got him to do my cab.

I love how this site connects people like that. I've already sent an email to that guy down in Keremeos inquiring about some parts. I'm in desperate need of some trailing arms to keep my project rolling. The ones I have are totally rusted.

Thanks for the good words, we'll have to meet up sometime and share build stories/ideas.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #49
rusty_67

Managed to get the intake and valve covers all cleaned up and painted. I still have to mod the valve covers to fit over 1.6RR.

Also had a fairly successful trip to pick n pull. Picked up a steering box from a 1985 1/2 2wd drive, proportioning valve for disc/drum, and located some trailing arms. Unfortunately simply unbolting the trailing arms was not an option. I need to go back with a sawsall to cut the ubolts.

Started to install my Addco front sway bar. I guess in my head I though it would install in the same location as the stock one. This is not so. Hopefully I'll get that figured out tonight.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #50
jkeating1

IF you wanted additional rocker clearance height and a traditional look, GM Performance parts makes an LT to Gen I valve cover conversion. You may have seen those. It's a perimeter with 4 bolt holes, and the center attachment that the Vortec heads have. There may be a Gen I style that's compatible with the FI intake. I can envision a few that would be cool in green!

That looks slick as a whistle like it sits, now, though!