The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #176
UGAK5

Re: 1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC

Thanks for the support and kind words! It’s at this point in the project you ask yourself ‘why am I doing this again?!?!?!?!?’.

I bought the wiper transmission (what they called it) from Southern Kentucky Classics. The original was toast. I bought the wipers, motor, etc from GMCPaul’s. He always seems to have the ‘best’ of the repop stuff.

The taillight/marker light bezels came from All American Billet. Please don’t tease me about (or tell my wife) what I paid for them! They do look great though and saved LOTS of holes in new metal/fresh paint.
UGAK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #177
Chad22873

Like Jim, I am also interested in hearing about the taillight bezels. Those look different than what I have seen.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #178
jaros44sr

That price isn't as bad as I expected, my fittings and hose were way more
Thanks for the help, maybe they will end up under the tree

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #179
UGAK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
That price isn't as bad as I expected
Yeah. I’ve spent more on less too. But at $300 ish for taillights and markers, it’s spendy when the stock ones are less than $75 or so. They just look so good!

Last edited by UGAK5; 11-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #180
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Great to see an update. Progress looks great!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #181
UGAK5

Hey guys - Been busy between Thanksgiving and now tidying up stuff all over the Blazer. Finished all the underhood wiring, got the core support on, radiator, fans, gauges, steering wheel and tons of little stuff. Here are a few pics:
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #182
UGAK5

All that, to get to this - as of 1:15 pm today, S H E ' S A L I V E ! ! ! !

https://youtu.be/4BtYSYDt0pM
Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #183
jaros44sr

That is quite the milestone, great work. I wouldn't know, but that must feel good. LOL

She's a beaut

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #184
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Congrats. No small feat. Continues to look great...super clean.
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #185
UGAK5

Thanks guys - it does feel awesome. I finally feel like I am on the down hill side now!

So, here is what got added to the list after letting the engine run in a bit today:

1) Temp Gauge is slamming all the way to the far right (past H) when the key is turned. Bad ground maybe?

2) Tranny hard cooling line (top on, the pressure side, TH350) is leaking at the line nut and fitting to the case. Anyone know an easy source for the case fitting? After searching, I found various descriptions of what size it is. 1/4 NPT, NPTS, tapered, straight, etc. I just need one. Bottom one is fine. It seemed buggered when I hooked up about 45 days ago - kicking myself for not changing it then. I hate the smell of ATF. Ha!

3) My Accel ceramic 8mm plug wires that are designed to fit this engine DON'T. I'll trim them all to fit - just another chore.

Honestly, if that's I have to fuss about for the first start, I'm in good shape!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #186
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAK5 View Post
Thanks guys - it does feel awesome. I finally feel like I am on the down hill side now!

So, here is what got added to the list after letting the engine run in a bit today:

1) Temp Gauge is slamming all the way to the far right (past H) when the key is turned. Bad ground maybe?

2) Tranny hard cooling line (top on, the pressure side, TH350) is leaking at the line nut and fitting to the case. Anyone know an easy source for the case fitting? After searching, I found various descriptions of what size it is. 1/4 NPT, NPTS, tapered, straight, etc. I just need one. Bottom one is fine. It seemed buggered when I hooked up about 45 days ago - kicking myself for not changing it then. I hate the smell of ATF. Ha!

3) My Accel ceramic 8mm plug wires that are designed to fit this engine DON'T. I'll trim them all to fit - just another chore.

Honestly, if that's I have to fuss about for the first start, I'm in good shape!
1) sending unit not the proper ohms, is that far right reading with engine off

2) NPT tapered will pull fitting into trans, sealing better. Maybe a little thread sealant, but skip the first couple threads, so it doesn't go inside trans. Plus ATF is flammable

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 03-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #187
UGAK5

Ok guys - Been super busy solving problems, assembling (and reassembling) things and trying to get this truck ready for a Spring ride!

I solved my trans cooling line by replacing the fittings on both the trans and the cooler line - - problem solved.

I solved my temp gauge issue by following TBONE1964's suggestion at the bottom of the this response - Thanks Tom!

Fixing the spark plug wires just took a little time, but I got that accomplished too.

Temp Gauge Solution From Tom:

Try and run a ground wire from the lower center stud on the temp gauge to a known good ground. This is a very common problem when a temp gauge has been removed from the tin in the past. There is usually a small retainer on the lower center stud that provides a ground though the tin and gauge. When the retainer is removed, there is no ground. That is what the ground wire I am suggesting will fix.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #188
UGAK5

I found a fuel leak around the pressure regulator and needed to replumb it - helps when you read the instructions and use Teflon paste on the NPT threads (duh), so I re ran it more efficiently and added a pressure gauge.

I hooked up the kickdown cable and installed the Lokar custom throttle cable - just couldn't get the stock one to fit the curvature that was needed. I also had to add a 3/4 spacer between the carb and air cleaner to get proper clearance for the throttle return springs.

Here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #189
UGAK5

I had many other odds and ends to do - hook up vacuum lines, run some under hood wiring, get the ignition box and coil wired in permanently - basically finish up anything that would be hard to reach after the fenders were on, then I installed the inner fenders. While I was waiting for some help hanging the fenders, I went to work on window felts so I could finish up the doors. Nothing ever goes easily, but the folks at Precision weatherstriping were awesome and took pictures for me and drew in arrows so I knew exactly how they installed. Turns out my problem was that my repop doors had one slot not cut out, so I had to get creative and make it work.

The Precision folks told me that would be making a video within the next 30 days for this product and our trucks - so go to their site - or let me know and I can share their pics they sent me.

The door panels went on easily enough - and these are one of the FEW originals pieces that have made it this far. It took a TON of cleaning, but these are the original 46 year old panels. They look SO much better that the repops.

I also finally put the dash pad on - - - so stupid. I thought I was being smart to not put the pad on till late in the game. That should have been the FIRST thing I put on the dash. Was a HUGE pain getting to the bolts to tighten it down, AND I had to take the glove box out to reach many of them. Ugh.

More pics:
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #190
UGAK5

And the last photo update for awhile.

Fenders on! And a quick peek at my buddy Richie who did all the painting. First fender took us 2 hours to hang, second one about an hour.

Next pic is after I got the front marker lights in and working - and the 383 badge I wanted so badly. Subtle, but awesome and worth the search, price, etc.

Last pic is of the puke jug installed - thanks to Wes at Classic Heartbeat for the advice and sourcing of that one. You can also see where I mounted the MSD ignition box. I really started to put it on the firewall, but MSD suggested a horizontal mounting, not vertical. I am slowly learning to listen to the advice of people who actually make the stuff!

Oh - and these are original hood springs, rebuilt (re-revitted and painted) from a shop in Va. I've heard nothing good about the repops.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #191
UGAK5

Now that I have paid the photo toll - does anyone have a source for front seat belts? I don't have the stock ones that came with it.

Rears are easy, but I am struggling to find front retractors in black. I need both passenger and drivers side - and would appreciate what others have done to figure out how to solve this.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #192
SeventyOne

Can you post some more detail pics of your 8-383 badge? Any info on them you can provide?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #193
UGAK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Can you post some more detail pics of your 8-383 badge? Any info on them you can provide?
Board member Shortie makes them - - did a GREAT job.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=701118
Old 03-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #194
72K5CSTDarkOlive

Quote:
Now that I have paid the photo toll - does anyone have a source for front seat belts? I don't have the stock ones that came with it.

Rears are easy, but I am struggling to find front retractors in black. I need both passenger and drivers side - and would appreciate what others have done to figure out how to solve this.

Thanks guys!
Try contacting Phython restoration. They might have some originals in black sitting on the shelf.

http://www.pythonrestoration.com/

Build version 2.0: 72 K5
6.0 LQ9, 4L80e, NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793192
Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #195
2006gmcdmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive View Post
Try contacting Phython restoration. They might have some originals in black sitting on the shelf.

I know that Python Restoration has a set because I gave him a full set of black front seat belts for additional parts if needed because he's restoring my parchment set of belts right now.
2006gmcdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:37 AM   #196
parb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006gmcdmax View Post
I know that Python Restoration has a set because I gave him a full set of black front seat belts for additional parts if needed because he's restoring my parchment set of belts right now.
I need to have my parchment belts restored. I'm thinking about going to python restorations. Would you mind letting me know how your belts turned out when done?
parb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #197
2006gmcdmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by parb View Post
I need to have my parchment belts restored. I'm thinking about going to python restorations. Would you mind letting me know how your belts turned out when done?
Absolutely, I will start a whole new thread once I get the seat belts back. I've been told that Stewart does amazing work and I can't wait to see the results.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #198
UGAK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive View Post

AWESOME - Thanks Mike!

And thank you too 2006gmcdmax
Old 03-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #199
2006gmcdmax

Quote:
AWESOME - Thanks Mike!

And thank you too 2006gmcdmax
I'm Happy to help!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #200
UGAK5

Today was hood, cowl and tailgate day. Took about 3 hours, but only because I started having issues with the driver's door and the way it closes. The tailgate fits really well, the hood still need some tweaks - but the door has become the new problem. Can be fixed, will just take some time. As usual, 2 steps forward and 3 steps to the side.
Attached Images