The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #26
Mrturner1

Re: Quick video, help me identify this sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Are you still trying to run race fuel thru that engine ? Add a can of STP oil treatment to it use castrol 20-50 oil and another new filter ,lock your tools up and drive it for 100 miles keeping your foot off the gas pedal, use regular unleaded fuel and drive it like your new baby is sitting on the seat .
Nope, I actually never ran race fuel. I added about a half gallon to a full tank of pump gas because it needed it. I don't understand the locking up my tools thing, although I've heard that twice now, weird. This isn't something that happened due to me tinkering and I'm actually getting to be pretty handy with my tools.

As for the oil, it's fresh and so is the filter. It's not 20w50 but it's good oil with ZDDP additive. I'd be driving it if I knew for sure what this noise was. Don't wanna get stuck somewhere if she breaks down.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #27
Mrturner1

Re: Quick video, help me identify this sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Do you know what your base timing is at now, with vacuum advance line plugged at the carb? To get hot tubes at idle normally takes wicked retarded timing and some load.

Did I just say "Wicked Retarded"? Yes, but it was about a distributor.
Right now it's set at 12*btdc, which I think is mildly retarded, certainly not wiked retarded though lol I was thinking timing as well, but it's only the two rear tubes on the passenger side. I figured it's gotta be valves aren't fully shutting because lash is too tight (fuel burning in the header pipe turns it red) so I backed those two exhaust valves off 1/4 turn. Seemed to take care of that. This noise is still there though, and I'm starting to wonder if it's a lifter squeaking. I don't know if they do that, but it seems like they would because the pump up and down and rotate. It's not consistent though, and maybe a lifter noise would be? I'm taking a good look at the flywheel today, somebody mentioned cracked flywheel
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Quick video, help me identify this sound

valves that are too tight will sound like "Whistling" as the air/fuel/exhaust blows past them, if left that way, will burn your valves/seats. better check that lash again.....
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote