The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
Brian69c10

Question starter problems

I just bought a new engine harness for my 69 chevy and installed it today. When i go to start it it just clicks and doesnt turn over. It is a brand new battery and cables. I must be losing my juice or something like that. Can my regulator have something to do with it. I only have the hot wire on the alternator. Any help with this problem will be alot of help. Thanks
Brian69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:23 AM   #2
ZOOMY

clicks

Clicking is usually an almost dead battery or a bad connection if it was good just prior to the new harness. Totally worn brushes or a bad contactor in the solenoid can cause it too. Tap the starter a couple times with a hammer. That's sometimes a last ditch effort to get it to start just one more time to get it home. If the solenoid is suspected you can carefully jump the big cable stud to one of the smaller ones to get it to start just one more time.
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
bpmcgee

It's also possible (since you just replaced the wiring harness) that it could be a bad/missing ground on the engine or a failure to wire the power to the starter correctly.

Remember there are actually TWO circuits on the starter -- the one which goes from the key to the solenoid (this is the one that clicks) and the one that goes from the battery to the starter (this is the one that starts).

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Even though it is a new battery, you may have drained it testing all the components. (I know I tend to check everything as soon as I hook each one up) That and the fact that you may have sat there for hrs with the ignition switch on.
Try jump starting it just to rule out a dead battery.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote