The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
dz1087

How to Go About Getting it Painted

So, I'm going to be finishing up my cab here in the next few weeks. Then on to the doors and fenders and then assembling the bed. My question is, how should I get all this to the paint shop? Although the drivetrain is installed, none of the wiring or other components are present in the cab or frame. Should I wire it up and get it running before sending it off to paint, while leaving as many of the cab accouterments out? Should I place all the sheet metal on the frame and have it towed there? Should I deliver all the sheet metal via trailer?

How have you all done this in the past? What was the easiest way?
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
tinman_local2

Re: How to Go About Getting it Painted

I have the same question. I would like to assemble and fit everything and then disassemble and take to the painter on a trailer. I have worries about the return trip and scuffing the paint; straps/tie downs, etc. Some say not to paint it in pieces, but I want to get coverage on all nooks and crannies of the sheet metal. I'd love to hear how others have done it.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
66clow

I just painted my truck at a friend's shop but did most work at my home. I used a truck with a trailer to transport. It ran but the only thing together was the cab and doors.i was able to put it together at the shop after paint and drive home.
Attached Images

66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #4
BigBird05

Talk it over with your painter. He will tell you the best way to go. I would have him cut in the pieces go over and assemble it then paint the whole truck.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:00 AM   #5
mikelom

Before taking it to a shop, do the prep work at home in order to save a few bucks.
mikelom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I'm taking mine in pieces to the shop and will bring it home in pieces. This round I am just planning on the primer coats. I will finish up all test fitting and blocking. Once that is good it will all come back apart and go in pieces back to be cut in (bottom of cab, interior, firewall, inside of all panels) then back for assembly on the frame. Then the whole truck will go for paint. Of course, this is the plan. Who knows how many months are in between.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
Talk it over with your painter. He will tell you the best way to go. I would have him cut in the pieces go over and assemble it then paint the whole truck.
Sounds like the smart way to go. Can you clarify what you mean by "cut in?" I did paint prep and polishing at a body shop in high school, but I have no idea what this means.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I'm taking mine in pieces to the shop and will bring it home in pieces. This round I am just planning on the primer coats. I will finish up all test fitting and blocking. Once that is good it will all come back apart and go in pieces back to be cut in (bottom of cab, interior, firewall, inside of all panels) then back for assembly on the frame. Then the whole truck will go for paint. Of course, this is the plan. Who knows how many months are in between.
So is it just the cab that is being cut in, then? I'm not familiar with this term.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66clow View Post
I just painted my truck at a friend's shop but did most work at my home. I used a truck with a trailer to transport. It ran but the only thing together was the cab and doors.i was able to put it together at the shop after paint and drive home.
Did you just use rattle can primer before painting it, or did you use a sprayer at home? I'm not looking for a show truck - just a 20 ft truck that doesn't rust in a few years.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Cutting in is basically hitting all the spots that can't be sprayed easily once assembled. So, door jambs, the inside and edges of fenders, inside and edges of doors, etc. At this time most often hit the underside of the cab and firewall. You can then assemble the body and paint the whole outside of the panel without worrying about coverage in those areas.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
dz1087

Okay - got it now. Thanks, Stepside.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
dz1087

Would it be a mistake to go ahead and get the glass put back in and get it driving prior to having it all cut in and finished? I'm getting super restless seeing it in pieces in the garage. I really want to get it primed up enough to not rust, get it put back together and be able to drive it around while I finish up the body work it needs.

Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #13
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I understand the impatience. But, don't rush the body work. If you do, you will most likely always be unhappy that you did. I would not put glass back in until it is painted at all. Think about how hard that would be to tape off at the dash and A-pillar. I just shot primer last night and will have to block and prime block and prime and block and paint. It is a process for sure.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #14
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Did you just use rattle can primer before painting it, or did you use a sprayer at home? I'm not looking for a show truck - just a 20 ft truck that doesn't rust in a few years.
Just got your message. I did use some rattle can at home just to protect but once I got to the shop I sprayed the whole truck with epoxy primer.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #15
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087 View Post
Would it be a mistake to go ahead and get the glass put back in and get it driving prior to having it all cut in and finished? I'm getting super restless seeing it in pieces in the garage. I really want to get it primed up enough to not rust, get it put back together and be able to drive it around while I finish up the body work it needs.

Thoughts?
No don't install the glass. It was hard to have mine down for 6 months to complete but it will be worth it. Let it be your motivation to get it done not having it to drive. Also a huge body repair tip I learned. Just go ahead and wipe the whole panel with filler and block it down even. You will be upset later that you missed that one little dent or ding. Vs repairing a dent here and the on a panel.