The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
ChopperCity256

Drive shaft question

I've got a 67. Came factory with a three on tree. I've got a 700r4 going back in it. I was wondering if I am going to have to shorten the drive shaft or not or would it bolt right up?....
Posted via Mobile Device
ChopperCity256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Drive shaft question

The driveshaft will need to be shortened.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
gysgtc

I have the 700 in my 67 long bed. Drive shaft is at the shop right now being shortened 3". Waiting on my billet carrier bearing from CPP to be delivered today so can have the shop press it on and get the d/s in. You will have to measure once you install the new tranny.
gysgtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
ChopperCity256

Thanks for the info!
ChopperCity256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
cdowns

best way is to measure for yourself

that way you should only have to do the job once
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
best way is to measure for yourself

that way you should only have to do the job once
If you measure it yourself, make sure you ask the guy cutting it how he wants you to measure it! You need to make sure both folks are on the same page. Some want it measured end to end center line on the bearing cups, some want it measured to the center line of the carrier/support bearing, etc.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
WORP67

If you are good at fabrication and welding then its not hard to shorten your shaft. If you cut everything right, measure right, and tack weld and test fit then you should be good. I have done prob almost a dozen. They where on trail rigs but half of them where driven to and from the trails. Never had any vibration probs and you can balance them a few ways if you need. I had some old school guys tell me yo find where and how much weight it needs you can put hose clamps on them and drive see if it helps or makes it worse then move and try again. The guy I knew back in TN that made shafts would spin them on a lathe and hit them with a torch or liquid nitrogen to get them to spin true. He told me he never understood why people messed with balancing unless they where way out cause the heat of your exhaust was enough to warp a shift. The heat from the pipes/muffler would push or pull on the shaft as it sat and cooled or in traffic jams, etc.
WORP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORP67 View Post
If you are good at fabrication and welding then its not hard to shorten your shaft. If you cut everything right, measure right, and tack weld and test fit then you should be good. I have done prob almost a dozen. They where on trail rigs but half of them where driven to and from the trails. Never had any vibration probs and you can balance them a few ways if you need. I had some old school guys tell me yo find where and how much weight it needs you can put hose clamps on them and drive see if it helps or makes it worse then move and try again. The guy I knew back in TN that made shafts would spin them on a lathe and hit them with a torch or liquid nitrogen to get them to spin true. He told me he never understood why people messed with balancing unless they where way out cause the heat of your exhaust was enough to warp a shift. The heat from the pipes/muffler would push or pull on the shaft as it sat and cooled or in traffic jams, etc.
This is a very good way to beat up the bushings in the transmission or ruin a pinion bearing.

Have a driveline built & balanced by a driveline shop......Especially with a O/D trans...You may lower the engine RPM but the driveshaft speed stays the same!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

^^^^ I agree.

I had mine done by a local truck driveline shop for about $80 ($39 shortened and $39 balanced). I also paid a little extra to have the carrier/support bearing replaced at the same time since my C30 has a 3-piece. They used a much heavier bearing than what came on there. They had it all done in 2 hours. Very happy. I couldn't have beat that even if I was an expert welder (time, materials, and frustration).

Good thing too -- they found that the drive shaft was originally messed with once before and done wrong by a similar "do it yourselfer". Even though it was somewhat balanced, the yoke was welded on crooked as heck. He actually called me about 15 minutes into the job and asked me if I did that and if it vibrated. I laughed and said, nope, I didn't do it and no, luckily it didn't vibrate. The balance must have been close enough. But I certainly told him to fix it. No wonder my old support bearing and trans output seal was destroyed. I changed the trans from a TH400 to 4L80E at the same time, so I never did determine if the trans was internally damaged.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #10
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
^^^^ I agree.

I had mine done by a local truck driveline shop for about $80 ($39 shortened and $39 balanced). I also paid a little extra to have the carrier/support bearing replaced at the same time since my C30 has a 3-piece. They used a much heavier bearing than what came on there. They had it all done in 2 hours. Very happy. I couldn't have beat that even if I was an expert welder (time, materials, and frustration).

Good thing too -- they found that the drive shaft was originally messed with once before and done wrong by a similar "do it yourselfer". Even though it was somewhat balanced, the yoke was welded on crooked as heck. He actually called me about 15 minutes into the job and asked me if I did that and if it vibrated. I laughed and said, nope, I didn't do it and no, luckily it didn't vibrate. The balance must have been close enough. But I certainly told him to fix it. No wonder my old support bearing and trans output seal was destroyed. I changed the trans from a TH400 to 4L80E at the same time, so I never did determine if the trans was internally damaged.
On a 2/3 piece, You can get away the front joint being clocked wrong, If the front driveline is level/No u-joint angle.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
truckdude239

It will need to be shortned now a th350 with the 6inch tail shaft will bolt right in

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote