The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
jocko

Aux Tank Refurb - question

Anyone refurbished an old set of aux tanks? I finally got mine wrestled out of the truck today, turns out that while they still had a LITTLE gas in them, they still have about 5 lbs of dirt left in em too... Ha.. But I'm not laughing. Was hoping to refurb, but not sure how/if I can get them to the point of being able to pour in some new cleaner/sealer and roll em around before I refinish (not crazy-like, but just get rid of the crustiness) the exterior. The big issue is getting out the crud/loos dirt - and there's a lot in there evern after I tried pouring it out of the fill tube.

So, am curious if anyone has any tips on re-doing some MAJOR crud in an aux tank? Seems just about impossible to ge all the crap floating around in mine out. Any tips appreciated. Really want to save em because they are add-on wheelwell fill aux tanks and with the horrendous mileage I'll be getting, I think I'll be needing them just to make it to the gas station!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Aux Tank Refurb - question

A lot depends on what kind of crud you have. Start out with a length of chain and see what that will break loose. In any case a really light cable attached will help work it back out. Just remember if you have bolt through tubes you might just need to go to plan B. No matter how much crud you can always go to plan B and cut a hole or two through the top. You can close it back up with plates, rivets and sealer.
Its easy to understand your ~200 mile range concern, everything is a distance drive in the desert.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
JointTech

i just took my aux tank to a radiator shop that does gas tanks. Hes cleaning out the scale, sealing it and getting out one of the bolts I cut off out. $175.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
jocko

hmmmm.... never thought of that. GOOD suggestion.

Tim, they are th ebolt thru type. Would love to avoid cutting em open. I'm not GFE certified and there was some residual BLACK sooty gas.

It IS amazing how much stuff is rolling around in there though. Might be able to work a shop vac extension to wiggle around in there.

But I will see if there is a local rad shop, not sure we have one in tiny town here. Will have to look...

Time why do you equate bolt thru tubes (1 of which has the bolt completley crud-stuck in it) with needed to chop a big cleanout hole in it?

Thanks tim & jointtech
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Spartan

I had this problem with my formula 400. Dropped the tank, cut it half, decrudded, and welded it back together. Extremely dangerous but I filled the tank with dry ice chunks to minimize blowing myself to bits. It's too much work for me these days so I think the reconditioning via radiator shop sounds like a winner.
I like Tim's chain idea too. Have heard of shops that dip em in a caustic solution and coat them but sound like$$. Amazing how much crud gets trapped over time.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
SS Tim

Having "pillars" inside the tank makes it hard to get a chain to do much and there is the real possibility of having it wrap and wedge. Plus your pickup might, actually likely need addressing. Cutting a hole/s is no big deal really. Plus you can even put a sock on the pickup before you seal the tanks back up. Drain off the gas you have in there and let them vent.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
jocko

yep, i'm doing that already. They're outside with the caps off, and fillers pointing down a bit in case we get the rare freak rainstorm... I have some options, I might also see what the local engine shop could do for me, not sure they would fit in his hot tank at J&B's.. That might work. Or not. Might give em a call.

Good point about the pickups though - at the very least, need to remove and clean if not replace.