The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
NC67Chev

67 C-10 power steering conversion components

Hi,

I'm wanting to assemble the parts I need to upgrade my 67 c10 to power steering, and am hoping to get some help. I'm pretty sure that the motor is a 250. Am I correct? Also, as for the steering box I will need, I understand the issue with the lack of a dimple on the frame. However, I'm not real clear on what my options are......Do I have cut or heat and re-shape the flat area to accomodate the power steering box? I've also see somewhere that someone said you can mount the box with spacers. Doesn't this throw everything else off? Also, I've read that some late 70's model steering boxes mount right on with no modification. Is this a possibility? Do any of the aftermarket conversions work without doing alterations?

I would really like to keep the truck looking as "stock" as possible while doing the upgrade. Thanks for any guidance you guys can provide. Sorry for the long post!

Mike
Attached Images

NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
NC67Chev

Re: 67 C-10 power steering conversion components

Also, how can I make sure I'm getting the correct power steering pump & brackets?

Thanks again, Mike
Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I can answer some of the things.The 250 Brackets are specific to the Chevy 6 cyl.Make sure to get the pulleys!The 292 brackets are different.Also you have a non-integrated head 250 which means you need the non-integrated head 250 brackets.Make sure you get the pulleys!They can be found on any 250 in about any model of Chevy from the era.The 292 can be identified by the offset motor mounts and the taller lifter side covers(292 are 6 in,250 are 4 in).Camaros,Novas,and Impalas etc came with the 250(or 230) which is the same from the info I have found.Make sure you get the pulleysThe PS gearboxes will work up to 87 IIRC.You will need to dimple the frame though some claim the spacers work fine and they have no problems.
Anyway shoot me a PM and I'll show you a set since you are local.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
NC67Chev

Thanks for your help! Do either of these below look correct? The first one is listed on this site. The second one is a complete set on ebay. I'm new to the site, but I'll try to send you a pm.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

REZ engineering sells a great bracket kit to mount power steering boxes on your early frame. It comes with the bracket you need and the inner frame reinforcing plate too. I bought mine from Classic Parts for about 60 dollars.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

If you space the power steering gear away from the chassis the steering gear will run off center when you are driving down the road strait. This causes your truck to feel twitchy. Why? you say.. Because your gear is not in the rest possition, it will be turning slightly right. The 2 solutions are to either adjust your tie rods accordingly or dimple the chassis. I prefer to dimple the chassis witch leaves the adjustment in the tie rod ends. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
white 67

i dont mean to steal your topic but i dont understand the changes and reinforcement that need to be made for power steering. My truck is a 67 with the power steering off a 72, i have no changed to the frame it was just bolted on and i drove that way for 9 years with no problems.
white 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
NC67Chev

I'll let someone with a lot more knowledge amswer your question. I personally haven't tried to bolt a power steering box on yet, but am trying to assemble the correct parts before I start taking anything apart. It's my understanding that on 67, and perhaps some early 68 frames, that a necessary dimple is missing to enable a power steering box to bolt on properly. I've looked at the power steering boxes, and it certainly appears that it would not bolt on to my frame without some modification or spacers added to accomodate for the "bulge" on the box. I would be interested in seeing what your set-up looks like.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
msgross

this is a similar bracket that I am using on my 68. You need to watch out for intergrated vs. non-integrated head brackets on the inline 6. It was difficult for me to find the correct crank and PS pulley's on my SBC. There are a lot of options out there to make it difficult.

brotherstrucks.com has them as well http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=PSC6066

1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 11-01-2009 at 09:42 AM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
NC67Chev

Here's a power steering set-up that I found for sale. Does this look like what I'm looking for?

Thanks everybody for your help!
Attached Images

Last edited by NC67Chev; 11-02-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
msgross

it all depends on the head.. not all 250's are the same.

my guess would be no because the pump is newer, but that's a pure guess.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 11-02-2009 at 07:23 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Willy Prost

I believe that 2nd PS setup is for a intergral head. Note the space between the two belts on the water pump pulley. That would need an additional grove in front of the two narrow spaced grooves on the harmonic damper.

Can you get the harmonic balancer from the same motor as the PS pump and water pump pulleys?

Maybe you can get a additional grove pulley that would bolt on to the end of your harmonic balancer if you have two groove pulley with the two grooves next to each other.
Willy Prost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
67Dad

Related...sort of. Here's our confusion:
67 C-10, 292 inline 6.
We want to convert to PS from manual, and are using ECE drop spindles for the disc brake conversion (said to fit 1967 ball joints/A-arms, etc., 1971+ disc brake parts)
For steering linkages, what parts are needed in the way of tie rod ends, pittman arm, connector sleeves, etc., for converting to the power steering? IE would we get parts for a 1967 PS (if that was even made) or something different?

Separately, someone told us at a local car show this past Saturday that later year Suburban/Tahoe PS boxes would fit without the dimple modification for 1967 frame. Have any of you come across this before?

Sorry this is a little long--we've never rebuilt a truck to this level nor had suspension this far "apart", much less tried to convert from manual to PS...what a great learning adventure so far!

Thanks.

Mark
93 C4 Corvette (mostly done, son's)
67Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
70STOVEBOLT

As far as converting from manual steering to power, you don't need to change anything as far as tie rod ends, etc. You will need the correct pitman arm for the p/s gearbox, but the center link and all that is the same. I just converted mine this past weekend. It's a '70 so I did not have the "dimple dilemma" to deal with, but I did run into a problem with the gearbox interfering with the outer bumper bracket on the driver's side. I just removed it to get it to go on and have not tried to put it back on. Does anyone know if it has to be modified, or is there a different bumper bracket for trucks with p/s?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
NC67Chev

You can either get a bracket off of a factory PS truck, or notch your original one. Once I had my PS box on, I held the bracket up underneath it and made some marks on it. I then used a 3 1/2 inch cutting wheel to put a V shaped notch in it. It fit with no problems after that. I can take a picture of it for you if you want, but it will ba a couple of days before I have the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #16
Chevyllac

I was wondering if the power steering set up from a 73-87 c10 work on a 71 c10? Any info will be greatly appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Chevyllac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
NC67Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyllac View Post
I was wondering if the power steering set up from a 73-87 c10 work on a 71 c10? Any info will be greatly appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you talking about inline 6 brackets? If so, I think 1975 is when they changed to integrated head, so I would recommend trying to stay with pre-75. If you're talking about v-8 brackets, I can't help you with that. The gearbox and everything will mount up just fine. However, I think the change to metric fittings was in 1978. This won't be an issue if you're using the gearbox, pump and lines from the same vehicle. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind. I hope this helps!

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Jkobernusz

I just put in a power steering sector on my 67 chevy with raised bosses and still had to use two 3/8 washers that I cut to make them C's so the bump on the sector didn't hit the frame. Just wanted to put that out there.
Jkobernusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
My1967c10

Should fit fine with no worries
My1967c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #20
JazzysC10

Hi fellas. waking up this thread for some help. I have a '72 Chevy C10 2WD 4 Speed. What exactly is needed to convert from manual to power steering. I was able to get a P/S pump so thats out of the way. i am having trouble getting the pump brackets. have looked on ebay, craigs and facebook groups and nothing so far. I am hoping a 250 from around the same years as my truck comes up. I read that the brackets off any 250 I6 should work provided its not an integral head engine or the 292 I6's because they are different.

The steering box I've been told i can source from a 2WD chevy truck up until '87?? I would need the pitman arm from the donor truck or new. how about the steering shaft, does the rag joint need to be replaced? i think i am confused with the conversion for the older C10's if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it and if you know anyone here selling some, please message me.

So correct me if i am wrong for the conversion. is the following list all I need and please add any info i might need.

I6 P/S pump Purchased already
I6 P/S brackets In need
Steering Gear Will buy new. what years?
Pitman arm Will buy new
Crank Pulley Will have to search for one..off a 250 I6 only or?
Rag joint Do i need it?

Hydraulic H and L pressure Hoses

Besides custom making them at a local shop, what other options or donor cars can i use hoses from? since Gm went to metric i think in 1980 i should get a box before that era i am guessing?

Thanks again guys
JazzysC10 is offline   Reply With Quote