The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
pritch

Spring tune-up

I have been getting 'Ol Green ready for a fifteen hundred mile road trip in early June. It's an annual event-the Blues Jam in Greeley, Colorado and I try to go every year. I take the truck so I can take all my camping gear.

Anyway, I had been noticing so gas starting to weep out of the old gaskets on the carb, and I never really did rebuild it before, so that was the main mission.

All that was a success, and everything seemed to working fine. I always figured I would change out my fuel line when I did the carb, to get away from the hacked-in fuel filter. I had found an original fuel line some years back and after much elbow grease I got it and the vacuum line shining like new.

I found a source for the original-type, in-carb filters. I got all ready but was denied! Turns out this line was for a 292 and wouldn't fit right on the 250 in 'Ol Green. So I had to break down and bend me up a new one.

It came out pretty good, I think. So after all that and new plugs and dizzy cap and rotor, I took her out on a good long spin around the big loop. I wanted to check fuel milage and check color on the new plugs-a good indicator of how my carb rebuild went. I headed west on I-80 about 40 miles to Salt Lake, did a few errands and some shopping, the north on I-15 another 40 miles or so to Ogden. Drove around O Town for a while, I wanted to mix in as much stop-and-go driving as I could, just to keep it honest, then another 40 miles up I-84 to Echo Junction where it dies back into I-80 and back to the house. I did 146 miles on 9.13 gallons for a whopping 15.99 MPG. I wasn't easy on the throttle, either. lots of 70 & 75 speed limits and a good 25 miles of city driving. I can live with that I'll pull a couple plugs tomorrow and check their color, but so far, so good for my upcoming trip!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
fatbass

Re: Spring tune-up

That was a good loop. Every drive is the scenic route here, especially in the springtime.
I spent the day with a run to the dump and a return route with 1400 lbs of potting soil in the C20.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
terry b

Re: Spring tune-up

Electronic ignition on the old six very cool.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote