The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
beginner painting

Sometime in the future .... thinking of buying a 60 gallon tank and a harbor freight HVLP gun.

Curious though .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAF6_ZUQMNA&t=259s

Why did this turn out so bad ?
Yes its rattle can and black .... but plenty have people have done that before with good results.

Just serious curiosity about what would have helped him the most ........


also --- good first overall video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw0ObOdWnRE&t=8s
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
notsolo
Senior Member
 
notsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Md
Posts: 1,851
Re: beginner painting

Rattle cans, not my favorite, but some people have fantastic results. ...Laying flat would make it more difficult IMO....Spraying vertical will be easier to keep the spray pattern 6" or so away and equal.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
oem4me
Senior Member

 
oem4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Burbank CA
Posts: 2,909
Re: beginner painting

A spray gun will change your life. Even a cheap one with a barely adequate air supply will demonstrate how superior they are to rattle cans for anything other than very small jobs. Don't fear the gun, fear wasting your time and effort doing substandard work.

Last edited by oem4me; 03-24-2020 at 10:52 AM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
Re: beginner painting

Understood on the air gun ....... I plan to buy a 60 gallon compressor if I do go ahead and paint the truck myself.

Was just wondering what that kid missed versus other videos where spray can turned out good.
eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt3YtLH7NJs

Thought it would be a good example of something.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 10,573
Re: beginner painting

I didnt watch the whole video, but I saw the streaking he was getting....rattle can results vary greatly on the type of pattern the nozzle will spray...different brands have different nozzles...giving different results
Some will spray a good fan pattern, much like a paint gun,others shoot more like a water hose...
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
notsolo
Senior Member
 
notsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Md
Posts: 1,851
Re: beginner painting

Same process with a gun tack coat...then several wet coats....with 15 min or appropriate dry time in between......wind, sun, humidity are all a problem keep it clean and dry. Overspray also will be a factor without good ventilation.....Respirator should be used for all.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #7
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
Re: beginner painting

Who's got a video youtibe link or thread to good overall painting process. I think the thing that confuses me most even after watching and reading is how to know when the base surface is sanded enough for primer. I don't plan to take down to metal .... in fact I think the PO already did the body skim coat work and primed it with a black primer of sorts ...... so it looks fairly clean ...... but unsure how much to sand back and when to know when to stop.

I see the cris-cross pattern for high/lows ......... but in terms of making sure smooth enough for primer ..... and then going again with sanding.

Most people say you need a 10+CFM compressor with a 60 gallon+ tank. Kinda pricey.

I have this right now.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-gal...sor-62441.html
5.3 CFM @ 90 PSI
6.2 CFM @ 40 PSI

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-...gun-62300.html
Gun says 6 CFM @ 40 PSI

With a pressure regualator at gun (60psi) as well as a water filter/collector etc ..... seems like as long as you do panel by panel ...... might be ok ?

Or better to just sell and get something better - any recommendations ?

Finally.
Good - but not expensive paint recommendations (brands).
Obviously it will be my first paint job ....... so its not going tobe great. But I dont want to guess if it was the paint I bought or not -- but at same time not buy top shelf at 5x the price.

__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:42 AM   #8
REDROCKER652002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South San Francisco CA,
Posts: 228
Re: beginner painting

I'm watching this one. This summer my son and I are going to try and do some paint work to hopefully at least stop the rust and get it looking halfway decent.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #9
notsolo
Senior Member
 
notsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Md
Posts: 1,851
Re: beginner painting

Use the search feature, try different combinations, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728337
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
67C10Step
Registered User
 
67C10Step's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Beebe, AR
Posts: 533
Re: beginner painting

I have a 60 gallon air compressor and bought myself one of the mid tier Harbor Freight guns last summer. I've used it to paint the back half of my frame and will use it to paint my trailer soon. All practice for painting on the truck later. Beats rattle cans hands down, just take the time to set up the gun and practice.

I will probably paint my truck myself because it isn't going to be a show truck. It is going to be a truck to drive to shows. I want a driver that I don't have to worry about every little scratch and chip. Figure I can lay down a 20 foot paint job and be happy.
Attached Images
 
__________________
1967 C10
2020 Toyota 4Runner
2016 Toyota Corolla
2014 Toyota Highlander
2007 Toyota Tacoma
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #11
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
Re: beginner painting

Nice !!
Yeah I keep thinking just sell the HF unit I have now and pickup a 60 gallon on sale on craigslist.

220V is hard part ....... I have to run a 30ft cable to the front to run my 220v welder .....

Not sure if plugs are same for welder and most 220v air compressors

Also ..... storage .... I only have a carport out front ...... security etc.
Bolt to wall I guess.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
oem4me
Senior Member

 
oem4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Burbank CA
Posts: 2,909
Re: beginner painting

Ok, so I made myself watch the video ... well, most of it. Even though the kid does a fair job of producing a watchable video, I still had a hard time watching because I kept wanting to yell "hey, SLOW DOWN !". Essentially he did everything ok, but much too fast.
Paint, whether from a gun or can needs to be applied WET. That is, it needs to be heavy enough that one pass will flow into the previous pass. Going slower and overlapping strokes by 50% will let the paint flow into a more consistent sheet of wet paint.
As someone has already mentioned, spray bomb tips or nozzles range in quality from totally worthless to fairly nice. The good tips have a decent fan pattern that will help immensely when laying down your color. I think it's Duplicolor brand that uses one called "fan spray tip". It's advertised right on the can. Look for it.
Then there is positioning. Spraying flat and shooting straight down like the kid did will help paint flow out evenly instead of running, but due to spray can design, will most likely cause paint starving after only half the contents are expelled. This of course is due to the pickup tube inside the can no longer being immersed as paint runs out. Pick your poison here: Paint upright and get all the paint out of the can, or paint flat and hope you get a good portion of the contents out before you start skipping and sputtering.
Make sense?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #13
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Ok, so I made myself watch the video ... well, most of it. Even though the kid does a fair job of producing a watchable video, I still had a hard time watching because I kept wanting to yell "hey, SLOW DOWN !". Essentially he did everything ok, but much too fast.
Paint, whether from a gun or can needs to be applied WET. That is, it needs to be heavy enough that one pass will flow into the previous pass. Going slower and overlapping strokes by 50% will let the paint flow into a more consistent sheet of wet paint.
As someone has already mentioned, spray bomb tips or nozzles range in quality from totally worthless to fairly nice. The good tips have a decent fan pattern that will help immensely when laying down your color. I think it's Duplicolor brand that uses one called "fan spray tip". It's advertised right on the can. Look for it.
Then there is positioning. Spraying flat and shooting straight down like the kid did will help paint flow out evenly instead of running, but due to spray can design, will most likely cause paint starving after only half the contents are expelled. This of course is due to the pickup tube inside the can no longer being immersed as paint runs out. Pick your poison here: Paint upright and get all the paint out of the can, or paint flat and hope you get a good portion of the contents out before you start skipping and sputtering.
Make sense?
Sure does and good tips.
I plan to use the spray can method for my engne cover .... as its small and I dont think it warrants buying all the gear.
But since I have built everything on this truck - even the transmission - I feel like I should tackle the paint. The body looks really straight given work PO did ...... but still need to determine how good is good enough and how to tell when sanding etc. eg I dont even know what paint is currently on truck .... Im assuming its a black primer over the top of a skim coat of glaze/puttty .... - but who knows .....
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #14
67swb72klb
Registered User
 
67swb72klb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: livingston co.mi
Posts: 2,306
Re: beginner painting

400 grit sanding is recommended for straight colors and 600 for metallic..
__________________
California 65 GTO---Texas 64 burb 283 ---Oklahoma 67 CST SWB BBW wood bed 327 2004r---New Mexico 72 k10 350 350 auto---Georga 72 short step project
67swb72klb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
mongocanfly
Post Whore
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 10,573
Re: beginner painting

id buy the best stuff you can afford...ive used many a spray gun from unknown brands, to kobalt, to my present is the eastwood gun....my compressor is a 60gal IR..good filters and moisture traps are a must here in the south with our humidity..
if your wanting to plug in the compressor, you can buy so cord and a plug thatll fit your welder plug
id check the paint you choose for recommended sandpaper...I currently have Sherwin Williams and it says 320g for final sand
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
REDROCKER652002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South San Francisco CA,
Posts: 228
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
I will probably paint my truck myself because it isn't going to be a show truck. It is going to be a truck to drive to shows. I want a driver that I don't have to worry about every little scratch and chip. Figure I can lay down a 20 foot paint job and be happy.
You have just said exactly what my son says. He just wants it looking nice and not have to worry about it getting knicked or people parking near it.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #17
MDPotter
Senior Member
 
MDPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 635
Re: beginner painting

The only reason I would use anything rattle can on a vehicle is if I wanted to paint an area the size of a sheet of paper just to keep it from rusting. Other than that, if you are doing any kind of repainting, it is worth it to buy an inexpensive gun like a Devilbiss or an Eastwood. Unless you want the finish to peel off or fade in less than a year, do yourself a favor and buy decent products and do the prep right.

I've taught myself to paint over the years and it is a valuable life skill. My earliest lessons came from the Paintucation series by Kevin Tetz but in the past couple years I've spent a lot of time on the Southern Polyurethanes website and forum and my most recent paint job is my best yet. SPI offers top notch products with unmatched advice from the owner and the forum.
__________________
1968 GMC C15 - Gen III 6.0 Restomod in progress http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=772047
1969 Chevy C10 - upcoming build
1964 Chevy C10 - Gen IV 5.3 Restomod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=768632
2016 Sierra 1500 All Terrain SLT - 33's, leveling kit, muffler delete
MDPotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #18
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
id check the paint you choose for recommended sandpaper...I currently have Sherwin Williams and it says 320g for final sand

Wait - 320 is all you need before final paint ?
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #19
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
SPI offers top notch products with unmatched advice from the owner and the forum.
I've heard of SPI a few times. Not sure how costly and what would be considered level above and level below.

im not going to paint my car with rattle can ..... was going to do it for my engine covers .... just thought the video was interesting as to why it looked so bad. I guess we are all saying probably due to bad paint flow from rattle can.
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #20
FAKKY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Redington Beach
Posts: 987
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Paint upright and get all the paint out of the can, or paint flat and hope you get a good portion of the contents out before you start skipping and sputtering.
Make sense?
yes -thanks !
__________________
FAKKY 57 PANEL BUILD
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #21
MDPotter
Senior Member
 
MDPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 635
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
I've heard of SPI a few times. Not sure how costly and what would be considered level above and level below.

im not going to paint my car with rattle can ..... was going to do it for my engine covers .... just thought the video was interesting as to why it looked so bad. I guess we are all saying probably due to bad paint flow from rattle can.
I would say SPI is middle of the road cost-wise. You can certainly spend less but the results and longevity will be much less. Or you can spend more, but the results and longevity won't be any better. I wish I would have known about SPI years ago on previous projects. They all came out okay, but SPI products are so much better and easier to use.

And yes, a rattle can just can't atomize the paint and provide a consistent pattern for a smooth finish.
__________________
1968 GMC C15 - Gen III 6.0 Restomod in progress http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=772047
1969 Chevy C10 - upcoming build
1964 Chevy C10 - Gen IV 5.3 Restomod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=768632
2016 Sierra 1500 All Terrain SLT - 33's, leveling kit, muffler delete
MDPotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #22
my56chevytruck
Registered User
 
my56chevytruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hebron
Posts: 818
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
I've heard of SPI a few times. Not sure how costly and what would be considered level above and level below.

im not going to paint my car with rattle can ..... was going to do it for my engine covers .... just thought the video was interesting as to why it looked so bad. I guess we are all saying probably due to bad paint flow from rattle can.
I'm a beginner painter as well and thought over the same ideas you are. My truck is not a show truck but as you said, a truck to drive solely. I own a 60 gallon air tank from Tractor Supply, I bought a "good" spray gun from Eastwood with 4 needles. My Harbor Freight spray gun was good for the frame and primer but they don't sell the needle I wanted to use for paint. I spent hours and hours watching Eastwood videos on painting and took full advantage of their help lines, which they are great at explaining the how tos. But, practice practice practice. I went with Eastwood's Hot rod flat grey 3 to 1 urethane paint.
__________________
RUBBER DOWN AND HIT THE ROAD!!!
1940 Ford Dlx Coupe
1969 Mach1

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 04-02-2020 at 10:19 AM.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #23
mongocanfly
Post Whore
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 10,573
Re: beginner painting

Counter guy at SW said hit it with 320g and then paint..
But you can use all the way up to 600g
Here ya go fakky...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:20 PM   #24
Myself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern Arkansas
Posts: 864
Re: beginner painting

My 2 cents worth. Let me start by saying I'm not a pro but can lay down show quality paint with my Husky $40 paint gun....hell, anybody can! It's all about prep and practice. That being said.....the cheap guns don't atomize as well as the better ones. My method is to reduce the paint, turn up the pressure, and use trigger finesse to get results. It's not unusual for me to reduce 10% and crank my pressure to 60psi. This is run city for most folks. My thoughts....1- Spring for a better gun. Check with your local body supply and see what they have. Reviews are great on the Spectrum gun from HF but at $129 use a coupon cause the body supply will have a name brand gun in that range. 2- I've used several different compressors and can tell you a 25 gallon oil type with twin piston pump is absolute minimum. It will get you around the car once before your pressure drops too far. Oiless, single piston, or smaller tank and forget about decent results. Drain the moisture from the tank before you start and use one of those little moisture balls at the gun. 3- Any name brand paint should be fine as long as you stick with those products and follow the instructions. I like the PPG products because that's what I'm used to. I've also found if I'm not color matching I can use the cheaper line of basecoat followed by the quality clear. Good clearcoat will be $300 a gallon or more. If it's around $100 a gallon I call it 5 year clear....that's 5 years out in the weather before it starts to blister and peel. I only ever wetsand to 400 grit before painting. I've never had issues. I know 2 different guys that went 800 grit thinking the paint would be smoother....both had paint coming off the primer about a year later. 4- Any sort of draft through the area is great, just enough to keep the overspray moving and not clouding the area. 5- Good lighting. If you need to place a couple worklights on the floor pointing down the sides of the car....do it. You NEED to be able to see what you're doing. 6- Actual painting, keep the movement fluid and at a right angle to the surface, don't flick your wrist out! My first coat will be horizontal along the car. Second will be vertical, third back to horizontal. If I'm doing a pearl or metallic, each coat gets followed by a haphazardly dusting over the car with the pattern as wide as it can get. It keeps those from getting splotchy or mottled looking....which is EASY to do with metallics!

I hope this info was helpful. It sure would have been to me 20 years ago!
Myself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:14 AM   #25
REDROCKER652002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South San Francisco CA,
Posts: 228
Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
My 2 cents worth. Let me start by saying I'm not a pro but can lay down show quality paint with my Husky $40 paint gun....hell, anybody can! It's all about prep and practice. That being said.....the cheap guns don't atomize as well as the better ones. My method is to reduce the paint, turn up the pressure, and use trigger finesse to get results. It's not unusual for me to reduce 10% and crank my pressure to 60psi. This is run city for most folks. My thoughts....1- Spring for a better gun. Check with your local body supply and see what they have. Reviews are great on the Spectrum gun from HF but at $129 use a coupon cause the body supply will have a name brand gun in that range. 2- I've used several different compressors and can tell you a 25 gallon oil type with twin piston pump is absolute minimum. It will get you around the car once before your pressure drops too far. Oiless, single piston, or smaller tank and forget about decent results. Drain the moisture from the tank before you start and use one of those little moisture balls at the gun. 3- Any name brand paint should be fine as long as you stick with those products and follow the instructions. I like the PPG products because that's what I'm used to. I've also found if I'm not color matching I can use the cheaper line of basecoat followed by the quality clear. Good clearcoat will be $300 a gallon or more. If it's around $100 a gallon I call it 5 year clear....that's 5 years out in the weather before it starts to blister and peel. I only ever wetsand to 400 grit before painting. I've never had issues. I know 2 different guys that went 800 grit thinking the paint would be smoother....both had paint coming off the primer about a year later. 4- Any sort of draft through the area is great, just enough to keep the overspray moving and not clouding the area. 5- Good lighting. If you need to place a couple worklights on the floor pointing down the sides of the car....do it. You NEED to be able to see what you're doing. 6- Actual painting, keep the movement fluid and at a right angle to the surface, don't flick your wrist out! My first coat will be horizontal along the car. Second will be vertical, third back to horizontal. If I'm doing a pearl or metallic, each coat gets followed by a haphazardly dusting over the car with the pattern as wide as it can get. It keeps those from getting splotchy or mottled looking....which is EASY to do with metallics!

I hope this info was helpful. It sure would have been to me 20 years ago!
Great info. Would you be able to post some examples of the types of compressors you are talking about? I was looking at Lowe's and Home Depot and they have 60 gallon stationary at about 500 to 600 dollars. Are those any good?
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com