The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
dicer

Factory stock ?

Has anyone here done a factory stock restoration on their trucks?
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
PDW HOTRODS

Re: Factory stock ?

I did one on a 58, drove it a little for about 2 months, and sold it. I won't go stock again. No power steering, poor braking, and poor ride quality. I will always upgrade to IRS now. I had built 5 with subframes before, then came across the 58. It was to original and in good shape to cut up so I went stock. Won't do that again for a driver.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Mr GMC

I like them stock. Mine is not a 100% stock but close. The coloring and wood is not the way it rolled off the assy line.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mr GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
dicer

I agree with the strictly stock for something in really good shape.
My 58 will be factory stock, and the bed wood will be black like the factory did it.
The minimal painted it needs will be coping even the color of primer.
As far as a driver, I like some of the tastefull upgrades, but would only consider that on a junk cab, or a new Dynacorn cab.
I like the old style suspension and the ride, thats why I choose a truck.
I like some of the real good interior changes people have done, like the 59 car dash, and I saw a real nice interior one time in a magazine and in person, wish I had pictures.
On a driver it will definatly have the dual master cylinder, and also like the idea of disk brakes. I've always prided myself as one that can install extras without drilling new holes or goofing up original sheet metal, so thats how I would do things like an alarm system, radio/sound system etc. Oh and a cruise control too.

Mr GMC That is a super nice looking truck. Did you do the work?

Last edited by dicer; 01-02-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
hsdropout

I'm going with resto-upgrade-stock. I don't have the facilities to do the front clip and all that type of frame modification so I'm making the best I can, still not cheap or fast. New disc brakes up front, new king pins ,wheel bearings, mono-shocks (nice stance, we'll see how the ride is), aluminum gas tank out back, rack & pinion steering on straight axle (hope that works out), new steering column, SB 350, TH 350 (still need to go through both).
Getting ready to make new brake lines.
I am past the real dirty work on the frame (quite a chore) and fitting everything up again.
Hope to start on body once weather warms up some.
Attached Images

hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
OrrieG

I drove mine as stock 6/4speed 2wd the first 9 years I had it, daily driver and camping truck. I converted to 283, th350 4wd but with manual brakes and steering, no ac. It wore me down, so this time its bells and whistles time, power brakes and steering, tilt wheel, nice seats and ac. Still have the stock springs but new radial tires and upgraded shocks temper the ride. I'm hopeful the upgraded seats will help to.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
dicer

Nice Hsdropout, what did you paint the frame with? Looks nice.
And is there a reason for not using the stock engine mounts?

Last edited by dicer; 01-02-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
PDW HOTRODS

Hsdropout Thats looks great. I like the stock look, and you can improve even with the axle. I like your steering upgrade to is it a kit?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
dicer

Where does the steering gear mount? It's a rack and pinion type, right?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
hsdropout

PO had purchased the motor & tranny mounts, they work as good as any other option, imo.
Frame was stripped of all parts except rearend, cleaned, wire brushed, etched and cleaned some more, oven cleaner, power washed etc...etc........ then spray bombed with rustoleum primer & semi-gloss black.
Rack & pinion unit clamps to straight axle, see photo. Will probably need to stay on real smooth roads. Clears up space for exhaust pretty well.
Lots of work fitting up, scratching head and staring at it and shoulda-coulda-woulda thoughts, but it's cool, thanks. :J
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
cozee

Never have, never will. Stock is for the museum! My current project, "Dry Bonz" is a '52 3100 setting on an S10 chassis. When finished, it will have a 3" chop, semi custom interior (think Mexican blanket), and a turbocharged 292/700R combo. Can't forget the copper metallic over satin black paint!
cozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
dicer

What brand semi gloss? Spray cans?

Wow! how is the steering shaft going to take that up and down from the front axle???? And not feed the movement back to the steering wheel? I real curious, other wise its a great idea. I would also be concerned about the clamping method moving and going out of allinement, I think a guy could fab a nice bracket that would mount to the frame to hold that rack unit. And since you already added extra holes in the frame for that engine mount you could use them and maybe one more on each side, I'd have to study it.

Last edited by dicer; 01-02-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozee View Post
Never have, never will. Stock is for the museum! My current project, "Dry Bonz" is a '52 3100 setting on an S10 chassis. When finished, it will have a 3" chop, semi custom interior (think Mexican blanket), and a turbocharged 292/700R combo. Can't forget the copper metallic over satin black paint!
Not if its in real good condition. Yeah I can see doing major mods on a rust bucket, and daily driver. The most important mod is the mastercylinder.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Sillyoldman

Hey man welcome to the board. My '71 is done up stock. Join the PNW group and do some events you'll see it. I get out a little bit regardless of what Livrat & ETsC10 say.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
mr48chev

Well, you know what they say. Anyone can restore a truck but it takes a real man to cut one up.

Totally showroom stock trucks (and cars) are nice to look at but I like to drive long distances too much to want one. I might restore one to original if I found one that was complete and in pristine condition to start with though. I just most likely wouldn't want to drive it very often.

For me having a truck that will steer and stop well and has an engine, trans and rear end combination that will run with the big dogs on the highway while giving reasonable gas mileage is of prime importance. We have several long or extended trips planned for when we retire that will be several thousand miles each and a stock drive train probably wouldn't be up to the task. And this time my wife says ac or else.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsdropout View Post
PO had purchased the motor & tranny mounts, they work as good as any other option, imo.
Frame was stripped of all parts except rearend, cleaned, wire brushed, etched and cleaned some more, oven cleaner, power washed etc...etc........ then spray bombed with rustoleum primer & semi-gloss black.
Rack & pinion unit clamps to straight axle, see photo. Will probably need to stay on real smooth roads. Clears up space for exhaust pretty well.
Lots of work fitting up, scratching head and staring at it and shoulda-coulda-woulda thoughts, but it's cool, thanks. :J
What are you doing to let the steering shaft change lenght? The rack is moving with the axle, but the column is not. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #17
hsdropout

There is a slip shaft between the u-joint on the PS unit and u-joint on the steering coloumn that lets in come and go.
Like I said..........hope it works out ok.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
northerngmc

My 59 is fairly stock. Still running the original 235 straight 6 with 3 speed on the column.

Colour is not stock and the inside of the bed has been upgraded to oak and stainless steel hardware.

Bought this in 1989

This is the winter of 2002/2003

And this is what we ended up with!

I like stock, but I am considering changing the rear gears to 3.38 to make it a little better to drive on the highway.

Here is my other stocker....

1968 C20 396 factory air PS PB and mostly original paint.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!

Last edited by northerngmc; 01-02-2011 at 11:33 PM.
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #19
PDW HOTRODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
Hey man welcome to the board. My '71 is done up stock. Join the PNW group and do some events you'll see it. I get out a little bit regardless of what Livrat & ETsC10 say.

There is a huge difference between a stock 1971 and a stock 1959 and older.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
cozee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
Not if its in real good condition.
I would in a heart beat my friend, in a heart beat!! Because I plan on driving it daily. I have absolutely no interest in fair weather trucks nor trailer and parade queens.
cozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #21
northerngmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
There is a huge difference between a stock 1971 and a stock 1959 and older.
Well as posted above I have a stock 1968 and a stock driving 1959. Yes the 68 drives easier, but the 59 drives a lot better once she was rebuilt! Remember most of you are comparing a worn out 50 or 60 year old truck to a modified one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #22
hsdropout

If you go to "stovebolt.com" you'll find a bunch of stockers in differing degrees of refurb. They were good trucks in the day...... most took a real beating out on the farm or out in the forest. I like the simplicity....everything is easy to get to and repair.
You can bet that if I won the lottery I'd go the full custom route..........
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #23
dicer

Yeah but, you can't tell me that a good stock restoration or partial restoration isn't more desireable, that is if it is in real good condition, I'm not talking a stock resto with a million patch panels and the like. Now if there was a brand new from say 1957, chev truck that was moved from the show room floor to a huge vaccum packed box, and had the window sticker in it with 3 miles on the odometer, that you wouldn't take it over any unknown moded truck? I know which one a collector would take, handsome price too boot. I totally agree about wanting it comfortable and with some conveinences for a driver, I just hope that if they are to be totally changed that its a junker to begin with and not something in good shape, the more good ones that get customed the more the originals will be worth, as they are slowly disapearing. Well if you can call a dynacorn cab an original I guess a person can always build a factory new stock truck from the new parts.
I really like some of the custom ideas I've seen on here for a driver, I like the extended cabs as they are very handy to toss more stuff into, I really liked the 59 car dash install, and a nice well done interior, I don't like the scraping the road look, the stock height is just fine. A full tilt up like a Kenworth front end would be very handy.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
dicer

Heres some good options, rather than messing up an original condition truck, that is in real good shape.

http://www.justsheetmetal.com/classic_body_TR47.asp
http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/55-Chevy.htm
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #25
355bullet

Friend of mine built this for a customer, i think it ended up in calif.
Customer wanted stock appearance with modern conveniences.
Power brakes, window, air etc

http://www.southwestdrags.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5060

355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote