The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
mavdog32

Home "Paint Booth" ....

I have ideas as to how I want to build this but I want to maybe incorporate some of your ideas into mine, or change it up completely if you all have some amazing concept.

My plan involved a PVC frame and .5-.7 mil wrap with a couple household filters high on one end and two box fans at the bottom of the other end. sucking the air out. Also covering the floor in paper.

Also, any tips for keeping the clear from devloping pinholes? I painted my Jeep and it came out really good but the clear developed little pinholes here and there throughout.

TIA fellas
mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
dfwright

Re: Home "Paint Booth" ....

If you put the fans pulling air out, they will pull air and dust from every crack and crevice, and not only from the filters. I would think it would be better to have the fans filtered, and blowing air into the booth for positive air flow that is filtered.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
cdowns

generally from what i've seen homemade paint booths are a waste of time and not really necessary for a show quality paintjob
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
mavdog32

really? Its dusty as hell here in Colorado!!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
1moretime

I always clean and then cover the inside of my garage with plastic, the plastic helps keep the dirt ,dust out. I have a fan mounted in the back wall and have built a small frame of filters that fits under the partially open garage door. This brings in fresh air.
I saw a video of a car show where a guy did what you are doing. I think he used a portable garage frame and covered it with plastic. He had a box fan mounted in the end pulling air out and a filter on the other end letting air in. Some tips I've heard , put a chain over the rear hanging to the floor to discharge static, don't forget to cover the floor with plastic, and blow off and clean your truck before putting it in your booth and again once its in there. What you want to do is very doable and you should end up with a nice paint job.
1moretime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

I heard another tip: wet the floor with water before you paint to keep dust down.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
jf781

Dont have a box fan pulling air out, the risk for explosion greatly increases by have the fumes go over the fans. Have the fans blow through a filter into the booth.

Chances of a explosion are low but why give Murphy any unneeded advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device
jf781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
CMACDONALD1

here are a few pictures of my home garage paint booth. I made a filter out of furnace filters. The frame for the filters was made out of 2x2's and doubled up the filters. I made one row of filters so a total of 8 furnace filters. you could use more if you felt the need but I felt that would create enough air flow. then I just hung plastic from the ceiling and laid plastic on the floor. you don't have to lay it on the floor but I did not want the paint residue on my floor when the job was done. when I built my shop I had a fan installed at the front of my garage because I knew I would paint a few things over the years. As far as the dust in your paint job I believe that 80% of it comes from the vehicle that you are spraying so before I paint anything I thoughly clean the vehicle. I usually pressure wash in all the panels and all the areas that I feel debris would linger. After its washed and has dried I put it in the paint booth and turn the fan on and start at the furthest point from the fan and start blowing out all the nooks and cranys and not worrying about the painted surface untill the very end. The blow down in the paint booth usually takes me about an hour. I make sure I hit all the ares where dust or debris may be. when the paint is in the gun and you blow paint across a door gap or something its too late. Once the vehicle is blown down I then wash the veh with wax and grease remover one more time. After wiped down I grab the tack cloth and start at the furthest point from the fan again and tack down the surface to be painted. I have painted a few vehicles at home and have come out with some pretty clean jobs. This is just the way I do it anyway. I always like to hear what others do as I may pick up a great idea for the next project.
Attached Images

1972 Cheyenne Short Bed

1958 Apache short fleet

1980 Chevy short bed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761005

1959 "Henry"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=670461

1966 Biscayne
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444419

1972 Suburban
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478828
CMACDONALD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
faribran

the pin holes in the clear sound like solvent pops... this is usually caused by solvent trapped in the paint .. usually caused by not enuff time between coats..
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
mavdog32

Hey that look like a damn good paint job to me!

That is a distinct possibility as to why the clear was messed up on my Jeep. I did do the coats fairly close together.