The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
kaysboat

overheating. Not sure what the issue is

Yesterday the temperature light came on in =my 1980 C10, 250 straight six. I cranked the heater to max heat and did a bit of running around and stopped and started it before it had a chance to boil over. Each time I re-started it, the light came on after a few minutes of normal city driving.

This afternoon, I got out the shop manual and went to try to diagnose things.

1. The light came on as soon as I started the truck, even though it had been sitting for 24 hours.

2. I took the rad cap off and looked for water flowing through the rad with the engine running. Never seemed to flow even after a few minutes of running.

3. After it warmed up, I tried squeezing the upper rad hose. According to the shop manual, you should feel a surge of pressure if the water pump is working. I really didn't feel any surge.

4. I shut it down and felt the back side of the rad. It was hot in the upper corner of the driver's side, and cooler as I moved my had down the rad, and as I moved my had towards the passenger side.

I'm thinking my water pump may be pooched. However, before buying and replacing random parts, any thoughts?

Thanks.
kaysboat is offline   Reply With Quote