The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Jahloha

Pros/Cons to Leaving Cab On

Team:

I do not want to remove the cab from the frame, but also am not knowledgable enough to know the pros/cons to leaving it on the frame. There is minimal rust in the cab, check my first post on my build to see rust areas.

Seeing as Gramps had the truck in CA for its entire life, my concerns with this rebuild are future rust issues, seeing as I live UT. I plan on using Por 15 on the frame.

I know this is vague, but please chime in with your thoughts.

Mahalo!

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
70blackfish

Re: Pros/Cons to Leaving Cab On

4 bolts and it comes off. good time to paint where cab mounts and new cab mount rubbers.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

If you have the means to remove it, do it. Instead of spending a day or two cleaning up the frame and bottom of cab, you can do it in a couple hours. Lots of people have used simple 2x4 and engine hoist set ups to take it off.

It's up to you. Personally, I didn't remove my cab, but I wasn't doing a frame off show truck either.

Also, unless it's been done before, you NEED to install new cab mounts.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70blackfish View Post
4 bolts and it comes off. good time to paint where cab mounts and new cab mount rubbers.
really?? what about the brake systems what about the steering wwhat about the wiring seems like alot more involved than 4bolts

pro// you can clean and paint that section with the cab still on and while you still r driven the truck on the road

con// ALOT more work to dismount the cab but alot easirer to paint and fewer months required that you have big patches of por15 painted black skin
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 11-17-2013 at 12:40 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
If you have the means to remove it, do it. Instead of spending a day or two cleaning up the frame and bottom of cab, you can do it in a couple hours. Lots of people have used simple 2x4 and engine hoist set ups to take it off.

It's up to you. Personally, I didn't remove my cab, but I wasn't doing a frame off show truck either.

Also, unless it's been done before, you NEED to install new cab mounts.
RedNeck:

Thanks for the input. I am in the same boat as you, I am building a DD. When you addressed the needs on your truck, regarding the cab and underside, what did you do?

Thanks for taking a minute to respond.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
really?? what about the brake systems what about the steering wwhat about the wiring seems like alot more involved than 4bolts

pro// you can clean and paint that section with the cab still on and while you still r driven the truck on the road

con// ALOT more work to dismount the cab but alot easirer to paint and fewer months required that you have big patches of por15 painted black skin
Cdowns:

Thanks for chiming in. I always appreciate veteran members helping the young guns out. Quick question, I was planning on replacing each cab mount, one at a time, to hopefully avoid alignment issues. Would this be correct in my thinking? Or is it not possible? What have you done?

Mahalo for the help!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
davischevy

Take pics, lots of pics. Take your time and inventory your parts. Its not rocket science, just don't get in a hurry taking it apart or putting it back together. If you yell "tear down", like the TV shows, and throw the bolts and parts over your shoulder, your project is doomed.

I set the cab off with a 4X4 through the top of the door openings and a tow strap.

When you set the cab back on, there are all kinds of points on the frame to measure from, brackets holes etc. Don't worry about putting it back where it was, because after all these years it may not be right anyway. In the vehicles I have done, I was never satisfied with what I took apart. I needed to be realigned anyway. If you really want it right, set the core support, fenders, hood and cab for alignment, then tighten the cab down.

If you are afraid to do it more than once, sell your truck immediately.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

It can be done either way, but with it on you will be on back a lot. But can still be driven. And taken it off is a long process but can be detailed a lot better.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
Cdowns:

Thanks for chiming in. I always appreciate veteran members helping the young guns out. Quick question, I was planning on replacing each cab mount, one at a time, to hopefully avoid alignment issues. Would this be correct in my thinking? Or is it not possible? What have you done?

Mahalo for the help!
i have found it is actually easier to replace two at a time // left side then right side

i use a floor jack and 2X4's to jack a side abou 3-4 inches and carefully slide mounts into place// have done it that way quite a few times with no real issues
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
terry b

I also changed my body mount rubber two at a time. Right side left side. No problems at all. My core support mount rubbers were in bad shape compaired to the cab mount rubbers.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
hugger6933

Change the rubbers one side at a time I am doing a 70 in my shop well was only to stop for a paint job on a 05 1500HD crew cab and a hood and fender repaint on a Park Ave Buick. Mine is down to just the motor trans and the cab, still to remove the cab. I am putting it on the rotissere to better get to everything and work in a more comfortable way. I know not all have a lift to take off the cab or a rotissere to put a cab or bed on but it will be so much nicer steam cleaning all of it that way and also in paint prep. The bed floor is really straight and the cab floor is gonna be nice as well so I thought I would go ahead and make it all pretty underneath as well as top side. This one truck was gonna be the cheaper one of the three this style I am building but it still is gonna be something anyone [or almost] would be proud to have. I say it is a little more work but it is just work,and why not take it on off and fix it up right. I am not saying that you can't do a frame on and build a nice truck not at all and if it is a driver project or a daily driver truck the plans may have been different and the truck may have not gotten as much love. But I am gonna reserve that idea for an original paint truck that has not been painted on before. good luck in what ever you decide and keep working and don't get discouraged.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Jahloha

Quote:
i have found it is actually easier to replace two at a time // left side then right side

i use a floor jack and 2X4's to jack a side abou 3-4 inches and carefully slide mounts into place// have done it that way quite a few times with no real issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
I also changed my body mount rubber two at a time. Right side left side. No problems at all. My core support mount rubbers were in bad shape compaired to the cab mount rubbers.
Awesome pointer you two! Makes a lot of sense. TerryB, can you help me clarify what the core supports are? My Assembly Manual is still on the way or I would have looked it up.

Mahalo,

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
54belair

If youre doing a daily driver----and dont have serious rust issues, Id just clean and paint fron underneath. As several have said, Id jack up one side at a time (may only need to come up an inch or two) and replace the mounts as well as the radiator core support mounts. Have fun with your truck,,
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Tinkermc

Look at it another way, if you don't take the cab off and in a few years decide to show it some you will loose points every time for something so simple now. My 2 cents
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
swamp rat

Quote:
really?? what about the brake systems what about the steering what about the wiring seems like alot more involved than 4bolts

con// A LOT more work to dismount the cab but a lot easier to paint and fewer months required that you have big patches of por15 painted black skin
I got to agree with CD on this one, its a lot more work and opens a lot of worm cans in the process.

The rust repair can be done whole on the frame if need be done, remove the bed for the cab corners if necessary to repair them.

Chances are you will need to replace cab mounts, if you are wanting to you could clean up the frame in the areas and put some Por 15 on them before the cab mounts go back in. Instead of 2 at a time I also did the radiator core at the same time, so i did 3 at a time first the driver then the passenger side, i used 2 jacks.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 11-17-2013 at 09:29 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
pritch

Hey Utah-Welcome from Hoytsville!

For me, it always comes down to the PITA factor. Unbolting a master cylinder from a firewall or a steering column at the rag joint (both of which need replaced anyway, I'm sure) is waaaaay less PITA than leaving the cab on. After that what else? Trans linkage, heater hoses and wires. To save hours and hours on a creeper outside now that it's winter? PITA Factor.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #17
leftybass209

Really like stated, cab off requires a lot of little things to consider. You have to assume every piece you unbolt can break or be worn enough to need replacement. That could be a financial setback if you aren't prepared.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #18
nobolt

Quote:
can you help me clarify what the core supports are
just behind the grill. it goes all the way across. it bolts to the frame and right and left fenders bolt to it. and headlight buckets. and the battery box. and the fan shroud. etc. etc. it also holds the hood latch.

THE major structure for the front of the truck.

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
primetime

not only can the other components break while removing, but the actual 4 can bolts don't always come off smoothly either. if they are rounded off you might end up having to drill them out. somebody above mentioned the wiring harness has to be removed too. the power brake booster and lines need to come off. the transmission shift lever has to come off the cab. you have to remove the seat in order to get to the fuel tank to remove. and then the fuel lines for the tank.
all of those individually simple task can add up too. the steering column needs to be separated from the gear box too.
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #20
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I got to agree with CD on this one, its a lot more work and opens a lot of worm cans in the process.

The rust repair can be done whole on the frame if need be done, remove the bed for the cab corners if necessary to repair them.

Chances are you will need to replace cab mounts, if you are wanting to you could clean up the frame in the areas and put some Por 15 on them before the cab mounts go back in. Instead of 2 at a time I also did the radiator core at the same time, so i did 3 at a time first the driver then the passenger side, i used 2 jacks.
Thanks man! I just pulled the bed, so I'll be ready for that. And should I Por 15 while one side is jacked up, to address the top of the chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
Hey Utah-Welcome from Hoytsville!

For me, it always comes down to the PITA factor. Unbolting a master cylinder from a firewall or a steering column at the rag joint (both of which need replaced anyway, I'm sure) is waaaaay less PITA than leaving the cab on. After that what else? Trans linkage, heater hoses and wires. To save hours and hours on a creeper outside now that it's winter? PITA Factor.
Good to meet you Pritch! Believe it or not, I have been through Hoytsville a time or two. And yeah, to be honest, I don't want to get in over my head on this. So I am thinking the cab will stay on. PS...PM me with any places to stay away from or places you trust for any work you've done, I am not familiar with area businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobolt View Post
just behind the grill. it goes all the way across. it bolts to the frame and right and left fenders bolt to it. and headlight buckets. and the battery box. and the fan shroud. etc. etc. it also holds the hood latch.

THE major structure for the front of the truck.
I assumed thats what was being talked about haha, I just didnt want to assume incorrectly. Thanks for the clarification. (PS the front clip is already off, would I replace the core support once it is back on the truck? Or have I already screwed up somehow lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
not only can the other components break while removing, but the actual 4 can bolts don't always come off smoothly either. if they are rounded off you might end up having to drill them out. somebody above mentioned the wiring harness has to be removed too. the power brake booster and lines need to come off. the transmission shift lever has to come off the cab. you have to remove the seat in order to get to the fuel tank to remove. and then the fuel lines for the tank.
all of those individually simple task can add up too. the steering column needs to be separated from the gear box too.
Yup, I am not quite ready to do all those things. So cab stays on, at least for the winter. I have enough to do already, with the cab staying on.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
litew8

The 'core support', or some call it 'radiator support' has 2 rubber bushings (which is what is being talked about) beneath it that should be replaced along with the cab bushings (4). Rubber (like stock) would be best for replacement, but they also make polyurethane.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #22
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
The 'core support', or some call it 'radiator support' has 2 rubber bushings (which is what is being talked about) beneath it that should be replaced along with the cab bushings (4). Rubber (like stock) would be best for replacement, but they also make polyurethane.
Thats what i meant in my earlier post about doing 3 at a time, 2 cab mounts and the radiator support on one side, the the other 3 on the other side. My post may not have been that clear?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #23
litew8

Not sure about clear as I didn't go back and reread. You can change the rad/core bushings anytime, it doesn't need done in a sequence since it is independent. \ Changing 2 at a time for the cab applies, due to raising the cab's sides, but nothing to do with rad support.

Last edited by litew8; 11-19-2013 at 03:40 AM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote