The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
msg

Pearl vs Metallic questions

I am new to painting and need some help. I am now at the point of making a color choice on my 66 and Ive decided on a white top with a cream/off white base. I have spent a few hours looking through the paint books (foreign and domestic) at the local PPG store and I have found that for a cream color they dont make a metallic just a pearl. I was wanting more of a metallic rather than an iridescent pearly cast hoping to make better contrast between the cream and white. The PPG folks I gotta say havent been a whole lotta help with this and I think they may have been giving me some wrong information.

I have painted 3 different cream tinted colors on a door skin I had to remove after I botched a base repair. The top white band is GM Designer White. The first color on the left is 1986 Chevy White Diamond 3903 and the one I like the most, except the paint they mixed is a pearl vs metallic. The 1986 swatch looks more metallic to me but the lady who mixed says that a pearl is what the formula calls for in the database. I thought that metallic wouldnt glare as much when the light hit it like the pearls seem to do. The middle color is a solid 5857 Cream White GM from 2002, but it ends up not having enough contrast to the white plus I was hoping for metallic to give the paint some depth. Then the last color on the right is White Diamond from the GM small fan card book they had, but it isnt as warm as I was hoping for.

The PPG instructs on the tri colors were to shoot the base at 1:1 and the pearl straight no reducer. So thats what I did for the one on the far right of the door about 3 coats worth. On the far left side (1986 Chevy White Diamond 3903) I used reducer at 1:1 to see if that would help to just add a little fleck to it without a pearl overcast. It didnt seem as dense, but thats 3 coats.

I added 2 coats of a clear coat in the end to get as close as I could to what it might look like.

So my questions are:
  1. Would metallic cause less of a glare than pearl?
  2. If so, is there a way to have that 1986 Chevy White Diamond 3903 color I like be metallic?
  3. If not is there away to tweak the pearl to not have such an overcast effect?
Attached Images