The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #26
Dave Garon

Re: introduce myself and our project

its definitely too high. I don't want to see all the dropped portion of the frame.
It was at a basic mock up stage - give me a little motivation to get started
Dave Garon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #27
Fitz57

Hey Dave a few more frame pics.
Attached Images

Fitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #28
dsraven

fitz, I like the way you capped the front of the frame off but left it bolt on for ease of working around it later.
are those adjustable front coil overs? did you need to do something to level or jack the truck up/down?
what did you use for the steering column lower bearing, stock column cut with new brg at the bottom?
do you have any flexxing issues with the rad support/fender mount not on the same length of frame as the cab?

Dave, sorry to jack your thread, just some questions I thought you may wanna know (as well as myself)
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #29
Dave Garon

Thanks for the pics Fitz. Things have been crazy at work and haven't had much time to even look at the truck. The pics really clarify how you used the old cab portion of the chassis grafted to the new frame. A couple questions if you don't mind:
- what size tire do you run? Do they ever rub? I believe the new chevy rims yer running are zero offset.
- Did you use the stock isolators between the cab and mount? If not, do you happen to know the dimension between the top of the mount and cab. Just trying to get an idea how high the cab sits above the stock frame rails because they don't show up under the cab in the side view of the truck. I would have thought they'd be visible since they drop so low.

Thanks again for the pics. Hope to get some shop time soon. I'm kinda pumped now...........
Old 05-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #30
Dave Garon

Don't worry bout it dsraven. Sounds like we can both use the ideas Fitz57 has.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #31
Dave Garon

dsraven - are you building a similar project? If you are, maybe we can meet and exchange some other ideas as well? You're only about a 3 hr drive from my place.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #32
Fitz57

Coilovers are adjustable a little. Mounting kit comes from a guy called Atomic on performancetruck.net and gmfullsize.com. He has a very detailed thread that explains everything. My 05 sits stock height except for raising the front a little to make it level. You can lower or raise it with the correct length shock. I can't weight truck front to rear so I guessed and got 650# springs.

Steering column is 75 GM van. Engine is offset from factory so no clearance issue.

I'm working on the rad support this weekend. I plan on using 2" square tubing 2-7/16 high welded to top of frame. I will have more info and pics as I go. Don't see a flex issue. Should be way less flex than 57 frame.

Tires are 265/65/18 31.6" tall. Rims 31mm offset 5.7" back spacing I think 8" wide. Tire tread under lip of front and rear fenders. Don't think anything will rub. Built straight axle 4x4 57 in 77 with tires that stuck out and didn't have problems.

Cab, subframe, mounts all 57. You will see part of silvy frame below cab. Just like you would on a 3/4 ton silvy. First pic I posted is mockup with stock frame. I'll take a pic this weekend
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #33
Port&PolishMan

Interesting Shot on the Square Box Frame inside a Frame for the Cab .
Set Up like that does that seems that would Isolate the Cab from some of the Harsh Road inputs onto the Suspension ..
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #34
Dave Garon

Hey Dennis. Whos glass front end did you use? My steel stuff is very workable, but I really like the idea of flipping it forward and getting easy access to the engine compartment.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #35
dsraven

honestly i can't remember. the fit was ok with some massaging, which i expected, but the finish on the surface was bad. wavy. too much sand and fill etc.
if you have a good front end you could make a flip out of it or, keep the fenders you have and look around for some decent fenders with repair required on the back 1/2. use the poor ones because you gotta cut the back 1/2 off anyway. if you don't like it or it gets too involved-whatever- you can always default back to your good set of fenders with a normal front end.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #36
Dave Garon

Thanks Dennis
Appreciate the feedback. What ya think of getting together to discuss our projects? I could use a road trip to Calgary.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #37
Dave Garon

So....got busy this weekend with a couple buddies, including my son. Removed body from the 2005 4x4, shortened frame, shortened alluminum driveshaft and fuel lines, and mounted box and cab. Sitting on 4 wheels and tires that are all the same, but not the ones that will end up on the truck when its finished. Now still have to replace the step and surrounding panels. Im considering replacing the front fenders, since the previous repairs on the old ones is a litte rough and full of patches. Ive heard the horror stories about the fit of new fenders, but good reviews on "Golden leaf". They're associated with Dynacorn, just in Canada. Same stamping supplier. Anyone used them? Any comments?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #38
dsraven

holy cow Dave, nice job on the panels. I have missed the progress somehow. post up some pics of your donor, sounds like a great work bee you had going there.
I have been using the keystone parts guys in Calgary. they are the same group as crossCanada parts (they have a branch in Edmonton I think) and can also get dynacorn I believe. so far so good on fitment. like you say, some panels don't fit very good but the ones I got have been ok. the dynacorn repop of the inner cab corner on mine was way outta whack but I wedge cut it and made it work. you just have to figure nothing is going to fit perfect. I have a set of front fenders for mine that are original and they don't fit well either. and don't even mention the stock fitment on the doors.....got some work to do.
here is the info for the keystone/crossCanada guys.

8221 McIntyre Rd NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 5J7
Phone: (780) 448-1901

been working on mine a bit lately. maybe have a dash soon. some cutting and fitting to get the heater and dash pad to work in a narrower space.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #39
dsraven

so, what did you do on sunday then, sit around?
just kidding. lots of work got done for a weekend.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #40
Dave Garon

Cool Re: introduce myself and our project

Thanks for the info. I figure the big shops use Dynacorn stuff, so worth a try. I don't expect a perfect fit, but hopefully not too much re-work. I can't complain about the shops I've bought stuff from in the past, but they all have the same supplier. Worth looking around.
We did have a good weekend. 2 of us had the 05 stripped to the frame in under 2 hours. Mostly because the other guy is super talented and has worked on a bunch of these trucks. Buys them at auctions and then uses the powertrain for his hotrods. And he's got a lot.......
My week was super busy and my queen has plans for me all weekend. Can't complain, since I was only home to sleep last weekend. Work will take up the next couple weeks, so the truck might be lonely for a while
I'll post some updated pics during the week.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #41
dsraven

just a quick note to say you don't really have to use the existing body mounts if they don't line up. make your own, just make sure the body has proper support. I built a subframe under my cab, before I went a different direction with the frame, and was going to use some energy suspension urethane mounts under the body and rad support.
just an idea
Old 06-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #42
Dave Garon

Ya , we didnt us the stock mounts. We built standoffs and adapted the 05 rubbers ans cups. Tough part coming up is how to fit the front rad and support into the old bodywork.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #43
Fitz57

Front rad support was a big pain. Got motivated after some of of the posts from you guys. Measured the best I could with the front clip off. Then mounted front clip and aligned everything. Built the square tubing mounts to fit, tacked them in. Took off rad support and inner fenders to finish welding. Square tubing in pic ended up about 2 1/4" tall. All back together and on to wiring and finish radiator.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #44
dsraven

if you look at the frame dimensions from GM the rad support (top of bracket) is .22" below the top of the frame rail (midsection line extended out) or 4.647 above the centreline of the front spring hole in the frame. the cab rear support brackets (top of bracket) is .15 below the frame rail. there doesn't seem to be a dimension for the front cab mount below the frame on the pics that I have anyway.
cab front mounts are 49.998 apart side to side. rear cab mounts are 40.14 apart, side to side. dimension between the front and rear-fore to aft- is 42.96

attached is the diagram I was using for the info. you should be able to zoom in to read the figures better
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #45
dsraven

the 4 eyed trucks have the rad support bracket further forward
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #46
Dave Garon

[ATTACH]1662638[/ATTACATTACH]1662639[/ATTACH]

Name:  IMG_1857[1].jpg
Views: 371
Size:  47.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1840[1].jpg
Views: 371
Size:  43.0 KBNo work on truck this weekend, but here's a couple pics of the cab and box on the shortened 05 chassis. The rear fenders are just held on with a couple bolts.
Sure would be nice to have more room, but ya work with what ya got. Last weekends work was at a buddies shop.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #47
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Cool build!!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #48
dsraven

looks like you are pounding along pretty good.
got any new progress to report?
you asked about my ride height, here are a couple of pics. 7 3/4 inches at the bottom of the rockers.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #49
Dave Garon

Very Cool truck. I didnt know you extended the cab. Nice work. Ya got some talent. I like where yer going with the biild. Ive been busy at work and catching up on house stuff, so nothing has changed since the last pics.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #50
Mabrysdad

Did you use ext or reg cab fitz
Mabrysdad is offline   Reply With Quote