The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
muddpile

Chassis upgrades, 47-54

Well, I've wanted one for a while, and I finally found one. I haven't figured the year yet as I haven't picked it up, but it is a GMC shortbox 1/2 ton 5 window. Stock drivetrain and suspension is there. My question is, where does a guy start? I want it low like all my trucks, as low as possible.

I've pretty well decided on a mustang II front end, very basic, adaptable, affordable. Manual rack and pinion, drop spindles, coil spring, just the basics. Heidts make a bolt in crossmember I beleive, which I'd rather vs. welding something together. Does anyone know if they make the rest of the front end kit, and if not who I can get it from? The steering column will be 73-87 Chevy truck tilt.

The next order of business is the rear suspension. I've heard a Camaro diff works well, but don't know for sure. Then there is the whole 4-link vs. drop leafs vs. mono leafs thing. As you can tell, I haven't found out much. I want it low with a good ride, and am willing to C-Notch to achieve that. It needs to take a bit of power from a moderately stout 350, but still far from an all-out race engine.

Finally, the drivetrain. Small block Chevy, 700R4, Camaro diff. Very simple stuff, but does anyone make bolt-in mounts for any of it? As you may have guessed, I don't want to do a lot of fabrication on this build, as it's going to be basically a daily driver/ shop truck. I did so much rust repair on my first project, and so much fabrication on my second one, that I just want a vacation style project, lol.

Any advice or suggestions would be great, thanks guys!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
mylow53

Re: Chassis upgrades, 47-54

i think i've heard of bolt in kits. maybe ftom tci. i personally think no matter what way you go. you will need to Adjust to fit. which usually requires some fab work. there are very few part's on my truck that i didn't make fit. If it was me i wouldn't shy away from weld in kits and have a pro install it... i know it's more expensive to have some one work on your truck, but weight the cost vs a part failing due to a weld at 70 mph. if your not headed that way maybe drop axels and a rear leaf bend to get you in the weeds. throw on a set of disk breaks and your there safely much cheeper than "new Suspension"
my 2 cents
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
mr48chev

I didn't find a bolt on crossmember in the Heidt's catalog but this one http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/17...FRONT_END.html Is quite similar to the one RB's sold before they went out of business.

A couple of guys could install one in a day pretty easy with nothing more than a half inch drill, tape measure and basic hand tools.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Scottshotrods

Check out www.scottshotrods.com
we have 48-54 chevy truck ifs we built to your
truck frame specs and you can install in one day and our crossmember can only go in one because it is one piece top to bottom not a three piece style
Justin

Last edited by Scottshotrods; 10-01-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
mr48chev

That's a nice looking unit Scott but it's way beyond my price range and it may be beyond his. A lot of us have to take the simple and inexpensive way out.
When RB's had their demo chassis with the bolt on front end and their rear end setup on it at Goodguy's a few years ago I took a long and serious look at it and for many guys who can't weld that well it would be the way to go to get a decent front end with a new crossmember at a reasonable price without having to pay someone to weld it on.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
muddpile

Thanks for the help so far guys! I definitely want to do Mustang II vs. a drop handle. This will be a driver, so although stance is important, so is ride, steering and braking, and mustang II wins that battle hands down.

Scott, you make a VERY nice product, very nice, but looking so far it is a bit out of my price range. Do you make a basic, entry level setup (coil springs, instead of bags or coilovers). If so, what's it list out at? Nothing needs to look awesome, functionality is key. I may do bags someday, but at the moment it's not priority, unless it's only a slight increase in cost (I can always hold out on paint and interior, as neither is THAT bad yet )

mr48chev, that yellow one you showed is EXACTLY the one I was thinking of. I thought Heidts made it, but I guess not. It looks like a quality piece, the price is "decent" as I save on fab time and some welding cost (My mig is only 110V so that would have to be done out-of-shop). It's still a big plus.

What do most guys do out back for a decent low ride on a budget?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Atomsplitter

Hey Muddpile,

Sounds like you want to buy my truck?

Seriously though, if I had one suggestion to make it's don't cheap out on the Budget a-arms on any of the IFS's. Spend an extra $200 and make sure you get the full size tubular a-arms so support rods are not required. I have an older IFS with the support arms and they restrict your steering limits.

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 10-01-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
muddpile

Atomsplitter, you do have one well described truck in your sig, in fact, it sounds like what I want my result to be, so at least I know I'm heading in the right direction.

I'm thinking you're right on the control arms, looks like you do get what you pay for in that department. Full tubular for me, most definitely.

What did you do out back to mount the camaro rear, and are you happy with the results?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpile View Post
Thanks for the help so far guys! I definitely want to do Mustang II vs. a drop handle. This will be a driver, so although stance is important, so is ride, steering and braking, and mustang II wins that battle hands down.

Scott, you make a VERY nice product, very nice, but looking so far it is a bit out of my price range. Do you make a basic, entry level setup (coil springs, instead of bags or coilovers). If so, what's it list out at? Nothing needs to look awesome, functionality is key. I may do bags someday, but at the moment it's not priority, unless it's only a slight increase in cost (I can always hold out on paint and interior, as neither is THAT bad yet )

mr48chev, that yellow one you showed is EXACTLY the one I was thinking of. I thought Heidts made it, but I guess not. It looks like a quality piece, the price is "decent" as I save on fab time and some welding cost (My mig is only 110V so that would have to be done out-of-shop). It's still a big plus.

What do most guys do out back for a decent low ride on a budget?
We were going to wait before we posted the sales price that will be posted on
this site for a october special.I will let you know what it is going to be

1.Scotts Standard ifs that we show on our website for $2395.00.The sales price will be $1995.00 complete hub to hub and this will come with a fully
adjustable coil-over as you see on our website.

2.Scotts Superslam ifs that is the same price as out standard ifs the price of that ifs will be $1995.00 complete.If you guys compare this to a tci or heidts
or fatman.The sales price that will be taken place on this site is very close
to the basic mustang 2 they sell.Our ifs has a alden coil-over or a slam bag
your choice and come 100%tig welded.
justin
www.scottshotrods.com
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote