The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #101
Lugnutz65

Re: Wing or vent window rebuild

Alan,
Thanks for a great DIY!

First a question. Do you have a source for the spring style washer (bottom right in the 1st pic) that goes between the vent lock handle and the window frame? Mine is broken. I imagine that it could be deleted or replaced with some felt until I find a source.

As far as the vertical strip, I tried putting it in last and a little white lithium grease helped it slide in under the wrap around rubber piece. I'll probably try puttting the vertical piece on first for the next one. Here's why.

I found it very difficult to get a good mushroom rivet spread for the top and bottom rivets on the vertical strip. The frame that holds the wrap around rubber piece made it very difficult and was in the way.

For those interested, I bought my SuperSeal vent rebuild kit from Truck and Car Shop and everything fits great.

More updates later.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #102
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Thanks for the input.

You may want to ask in the parts board for that spring washer.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #103
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Thanks for the input.

You may want to ask in the parts board for that spring washer.
The kit that has new handles has them but my handles are daily driver quality. I got lucky and found another one since my last post. My rebuild included removing the outer window frame from the glass channel. That made flaring the vertical strip rivets very easy. Thanks again for the great info for rebuilding. It got me off on the right foot.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #104
biohazardbill

Just dug up this thread...

Where was most reputable place to get the vent window seals and rebuild kits
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #105
forestb

I have heard Steel Rubber is the best place but they are expensive. Mine are on there way.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #106
biohazardbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I have heard Steel Rubber is the best place but they are expensive. Mine are on there way.
I also went with steele, they were very nice. Fair warning the rivets are a pain and do not come with the steele seals.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #107
forestb

The PO of my truck used pop rivets. It seemed to work. Does anyone have any reason why that is not a good idea? Someone else said they used button head bolts and a lock nut with the end of the bolt cut off flush with the nut.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #108
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
I also went with steele, they were very nice. Fair warning the rivets are a pain and do not come with the steele seals.
So once you installed your Steele vent rubber and put the rebuilt vent in the door, was the rubber nice and tight around the outside of the window frame? As shown in a previous post, my Precission vent window rubber left an 1/8" gap. Also, were you able to open and close the vent windows easily when you were done?
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #109
forestb

What year truck do you have? I tried installing my steel ruber gaskets on my vent window around on my 62 and they were a pain and did not fit varry well in the corners. I had to do a lot of training and am now worried they will leak.

I am not sure yet but I do not think they salve the gap problem between the gasket and the door. So far I am disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
Old 01-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #110
Metalaroundstone

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed Steele vent window rubber on a 64-66. Here are my questions:
Once you installed your Steele vent rubber and put the rebuilt vent in the door, was the rubber nice and tight around the outside of the window frame? As shown in a previous post, my Precission vent window rubber left an 1/8" gap. Also, were you able to open and close the vent windows easily when you were done?
Thanks
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #111
64shortbox

Subscribed. Great write up for when I get around to doing mine.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #112
Ghernandez66

does anyone knows if theres any place that sells just the hardware? I took my vent windows apart few months back and apparently I saved the hardware somewhere really safe that I cant even find em my self... I dont want to purchase a whole set of vent windows just for the hardware so Im wondering if any of you guys know where to find it..

thanks in advance
Ghernandez66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #113
akqj9

thanks!
akqj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:40 AM   #114
nelson-ohio

Thanks Alan for a great thread.

I have started doing my 65 vend window, have a few questions:
- I know I need to use glass setting tape for the U Channel where the glass sit in. I find many different sizes on line (thickness and width), any idea what size is the best fit for it?
- I had to remove the felt in the separate channel(maybe it's called division bar), it mostly gone anyways. I'm trying to find a replacement for it. I think I found it on LMC, (part # 38-5946)but it seems to be the whole piece with the metal channel. Can I get just the felt replacement from somewhere? I can not find it. In the picture below, you can see the long division bar and the half pc felt that I removed.
Attached Images

nelson-ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #115
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson-ohio View Post
Thanks Alan for a great thread.

I have started doing my 65 vend window, have a few questions:
- I know I need to use glass setting tape for the U Channel where the glass sit in. I find many different sizes on line (thickness and width), any idea what size is the best fit for it?
- I had to remove the felt in the separate channel(maybe it's called division bar), it mostly gone anyways. I'm trying to find a replacement for it. I think I found it on LMC, (part # 38-5946)but it seems to be the whole piece with the metal channel. Can I get just the felt replacement from somewhere? I can not find it. In the picture below, you can see the long division bar and the half pc felt that I removed.
I hope Alan doesn't mind me jumping in.
Vendors sell vent rebuild kits but the kits often have a very thin felt insert for the division bar. Most people find it TOO thin and don't like it. Most vendors also sell an OEM style division bar insert that is much nicer, but also more expensive and it must be ordered as an additional item. WORTH EVERY PENNY to buy the nicer OEM style.
I got my vent rebuild kit from TruckandCarShop and they have 2 locations. Good prices too.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #116
nelson-ohio

Thanks for the info on the OEM style division bar insert, I will get it from Truck & Car shop.

Any ideas on the thickness of the glass setting tape? They offer them in 0.031", 0.047" and 0.063" thickness.
nelson-ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #117
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson-ohio View Post
Thanks for the info on the OEM style division bar insert, I will get it from Truck & Car shop.

Any ideas on the thickness of the glass setting tape? They offer them in 0.031", 0.047" and 0.063" thickness.
I think I went with the 0.047". Just call truck and Car Shop and ask them what size is the best seller. Measure and buy an extra foot.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #118
Larry64

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
The PO of my truck used pop rivets. It seemed to work. Does anyone have any reason why that is not a good idea? Someone else said they used button head bolts and a lock nut with the end of the bolt cut off flush with the nut.
With the pop rivet did you come in from the rubber side or the channel side? My rivets are to short to make it through the rubber.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #119
forestb

I went in from the rubber side but after I did it I was worried that they were sticking to far out into the channel so I ended up removing those and getting the ones they sell specifically for the truck. Installing those ended up being a 2 man job but I was trying to do it with the frame still attached to the channel. I wish the tool that comes with the kit was a better quality. The tip started to flatten out.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #120
Larry64

OK thanks
Old 03-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #121
Larry64

Does anyone make a longer rivet. The rivets I got from the truck & car shop in their kit are not long enough.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #122
forestb

That is weird can you post a photo?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #123
Larry64

No picture needed. With the rubber clamped to the frame & the rivet pushed all the way in it will not even come through the rubber.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #124
forestb

Does the rubber have the strip of mettle in it? the head of the rivet should be up against the mettle inside not the rubber so it only has to be long enough to pass through the thin mettle.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #125
Larry64

There must be something I am missing here. Every picture on this board that shows the rivets after being set shows the rivet mushroomed over. The way it is now I can't even see the rivet to set it.