The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
koolky
67-72 Addicted

6.2 Diesel Glow Controller Glow Time / Adjustment

My truck is a 1993 GMC K2500 6.2L with G60 plugs

When I start my truck in this colder weather it always seems like my glow plugs should cycle longer. I would like to know if they should automatically glow longer in cooler weather? Is there a way to adjust the controller so that they stay on longer?

Also, when I got the truck I ran a manual switch to activate the high idle / timing advance because it was not doing it automatically. Could this cause or indicate a problem with the glow controller?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 6.2 Diesel Glow Controller Glow Time / Adjustment

The original system should do what is necessary when working properly.The controller is supposed to give more time the colder it is.If you increase the time on the plugs manually you need to be careful because they will burn out and/or swell,making removal a big pia.There are adjustable controlled made,but I don't recommend them.I had a marine performance 6.5TD with 18:1 compression which made it harder to start.I used a programmable controller that also had a momentary switch so I could just give whatever time seemed necessary.I used glow plugs designed for longer glow time,too.Eventually the truck would not start at all.what I found out is the controller is 12v and the GM glow plug system is 9v.This is how the heat occurs.I put new glow plugs in and a factory controller (later/updated) and it started fine.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote