The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #26
ewoody625

Re: Chevy orange?

I like that color. My truck isn't painted yet. I'm still planning on using the Omaha orange but I'm gonna try adding gold flake to the clear to make it a little more orange and not so red. I hope...

70 CST10 long bed in pieces also factory air and cruise(the project)

18 Silverado crew cab 5.3 4x4

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402166
ewoody625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #27
MARTINSR

I have to laugh when I think about "Chevy Orange". Back in the seventies I went to paint my truck, I was planning on "Competition Orange" a very popular color on Camaros and what not.

I went to the NAPA auto parts store where I bought the paint for the only other paint job I had ever done and found the color in the Corvette section of the Ditzler color book.

When I opened the gallon of paint in my garage with the truck sitting there all ready to paint I almost puked. It was "Omaha Orange" that I would soon find out was a GM fleet color from 1936 and was used on the Corvette I believe one year, 1976, the one book I looked at there at the paint store. I had just paid $33 for that gallon of paint I had to use it now.

It was the color of the "CalTrans" trucks from the highway Maintenance dept in California.

I was about 18 when this happened, I learned a very valuable lesson, NEVER pick a color from a color book. Especially in those days when all they had was that tiny chip of color, at least now the sample is a bit bigger. HOWEVER, you still NEVER want to pick a color without buying a pint of it and spraying it out to see what it looks like on a panel, why not?

And also, there are colors called "alternates" that can be very different too. So you could see a car and get the paint code off it and when you get the paint it is very different than the car you got the color off of! Check out these alternates, these yellows are all the "same" color code guys!

So buy a little bit, spray it out to be sure it's what you want. Don't pick a color from a computer screen or what someone says and go and get a gallon for your truck. That photo of my truck is a good example, the color was exactly the same as the Caltrans truck pictured, but it doesn't look like it in the photo. Spray it out and SEE it in person.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #28
Foot Stomper

I recently tripped over this on Facebook under 47-54 GM Trucks Technical And Swap Meet.
Here's another perfect example of how digital technology (cameras and computer screens) messes with color. I believe this to be Omaha Orange and Bombay Ivory. Original colours for 49 I'm told. My spray out would match the rear quarter (top left) the closest out of the three pictures shown.
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #29
Leonard60

I can't find any reference to firebolt orange I have 1971 paint option is 553 hugger orange and white. I have a 1972 paint option is 458 firebolt orange and white. Both trucks are gmc and the Colorado is quite different in the sun. I like the firebolt orange much better than the hugger. But have not been able to find pics of it anywhere.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #30
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard60 View Post
I can't find any reference to firebolt orange I have 1971 paint option is 553 hugger orange and white. I have a 1972 paint option is 458 firebolt orange and white. Both trucks are gmc and the Colorado is quite different in the sun. I like the firebolt orange much better than the hugger. But have not been able to find pics of it anywhere.
Post #4 in this thread has a color card with firebolt orange on it.
Kim
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=388287