The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Danny Bost

Lowering advice

Hi all
I have been saving for a while and now I am about ready to order a lowering kit for my 1971 C10. I have about $1100 saved up now which is enough to get an ECE 4/6 drop kit and c notch all shipped. I know I could also buy a cheap air ride kit, but I am not sure I will be satisfied with it. Also, it doesn’t come with shocks. What shocks work well with the air ride? Any advice would be appreciated..
Thanks Danny
Old 03-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Ekliptix

Re: Lowering advice

I answered a similar question recently:

Question:
I guess the biggest reason I typed this message to you was to get your thoughts on the ECE suspension system you have now had for a while. I will either be doing the ECE system, the ride tech streetgrip (although $$$ as you know), or a combination of pieced together system. I seem to like certain components of different mfg’s.

Should I waste my time trying to piece together spindles, springs, shocks, sway bar, etc etc from different mfg’s or just go with a kit like ECE? I already know I would have to replace ECE’s shocks as I would like a more firm/sporty ride.

My truck is an extra vehicle we will use to cruise around in to shops, some local shows, and some mountain road driving (I live between SoCal and Idaho and the truck is in Idaho).

If you had to do your suspension all over again with this info in mind how would you go about doing it?

My answer:

If I were to do it again, I'd still probably go with ECE for their springs (changed from 1.5" to 2" up front), spindles, shock relocation, panhard bar kit. As you've mentioned, the shocks they include are not great. The cheap CPP once I'm trying now are better. If I get dissatisfied with them, I'll try to find which bilstine models would work, or fork over $$$ for ride tech shocks. But, the truck is a cruiser for me. I do take it on long (300mi) drives sometimes so comfort is important. I don't plan on doing auto crossing. I did add a CPP front sway bar during the suspension install and I think it has helped keep the truck flat around corners well.

If I were more serious into handling, I would have gone with Ride Tech, but it wasn't worth the money. With the ECE kit, I got the looks I wanted, and a major handling improvement. To go to the next level of handling is not worth the $ to me.

It sounds like your objectives are similar to mine. If so, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the ECE kit, plus a different set of shocks (CPPs to be safe). ECE may even be willing to discount their price a little by excluding their shocks.

My long term plans are to go lower, replacing the coils with airbags and installing a Ride Tech airpod. This plan is purely for looks.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
1969 Project

I went with the 4/6 drop kit from ECE. I went with the upgraded KYB gas adjust as I like a stiffer ride. Other then having to get the rivets out for the shock re- locators the install was pretty easy.
1969 Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Unless you are really excited about the ability to drop your truck when parked and willing to step up and buy a quality air bag system and put the time into maintenance of the system. Go with a static spring set up and save a $1000 or more. My Burban came with a set of cheap air bags and to make it into a reasonably reliable system it has cost hundreds and has taken way too many hours of my time for the final result. Which still is lacking in my mind.
Just my opinion, your results may vary.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Danny Bost

Thanks for the advice. I am not into dropping the truck onto the ground when parked, I just wondered about handling, ride, etc... I had stumbled across a cheap air ride kit while shopping for a static drop and it got me to questioning which to use. I will probably go with the ECE kit and upgrade the shocks a bit, especially since I am on a tight budget to do this at all.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
68is4me

I would also go with the ece kit. You won't have to c notch it if you go with there kit. You can always give them a call as I think they can also get upgraded shocks.

Air ride is nice but it takes time and money to make it right. I would not buy the cheapest kit you can find, you will probably be disappointed in the outcome.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

You are welcome. You can get a nice ride quality with air bags but it requires an electronic controller to maintain it as changes in air pressure as small as five psi make a difference and it is difficult to maintain pressure that accurately with a manually controlled system. Driving the truck uses fuel which lightens the load and the bags need to adjust to compensate or the ride turns rough. As the above posts have stated you get what you pay for.
Using drop spindles and lowering blocks get you lower and help to remove the harshness of ride. Good shocks are always money well spent. For more info on shock choices read the "Make it handle" thread in the suspension section. There are lots of lowering threads in the section also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
Mike C

In the long run, air bags will cost you a lot more in cash and time. Sounds like you (and the rest of us!) may be limited on both...

I have the ECE kit on front of my 69. 2 1/2" disc conversion spindles and 2" springs. I would most definitely go with them again.

My truck is a leaf truck and I flipped the rear with a DJM kit that lowered it 7". With a flip and leafs, you get what you get so that's where I'm at. But I did not c-notch and I don't see you needing to with a 6" rear drop. So at first I would save the $$$.

I ran KYB GR2 shocks. I am pleased with the ride. On my truck I moved the upper mount in the rear to the more vertical non-utilized hole on the stock leaf spring shock mount. I bought 4 front shocks that I use all around.

I added a stock 1 1/16 sway bar because I had one. But by far best mod is going to a modern wheel/tire combo. Keep a 27" tall minimum height IMO and even more in the rear. Mine are 29". 235 55 17 on 17x8 and 275 55 17 on 17x9 both zero offset.

68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote