The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2002, 12:04 AM   #1
69ChevySWB

Manual Cross Member/Automatic

What is the difference between an manual and automatic cross member? I would rather not have to cut off the manual crossmember but I want to put an automatic in the truck.

99 2500 Silverado 6.0
05 Suburban (Wife's)
67 Mustang (Wife's)
69ChevySWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 12:16 AM   #2
Blue68

I really doubt you can get an auto in with the manual cross member in place. Auto trucks don't need it anyway. It's only 8 rivets to cut out.

The difference is that the manual mounts directly at the back of the engine and the automatic mounts at the rear of the automatic transmission.

Your best bet might be to crawl under your manual truck and take a gander at how things are set up then crawl under any automatic truck for a comparison.

The swap over isn't too difficult, but make a game plan and list of what you think you'll need, then go through it again. Don't forget about thinks like shift linkage, output yoke/shaft, and even the starter can be different.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote