The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
tsetsaf

RnD 5.3 Swap Radiator Installed - Nice!

Finally got around to installing the RnD LS radiator in the 71 C-20. This unit is replacing the 2nd failed Griffin radiator (yep that is 2 in 19k miles of use). Original discussion started over here.

RnD was a pleasure to work with and very fair in the pricing. We travel for a living and needed the unit shipped in a tight time frame. The unit arrived in perfect condition well packaged.

The RnD fits different than the Griffin (or stock) radiator. They use 4 metal tabs that fit into the stock radiator supports. The radiator then sits in perfect alignment with the opening in the radiator core. It has all the proper LS swap ports and inlet/ outlet positions. Only issue/ difference is the bottom outlet is straight out of the radiator instead of angled upwards slightly; this puts the lower hose into the fender (need to add padding there to stop the rattle between steel hose and fender). Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
mattwhiteyanks1

Re: RnD 5.3 Swap Radiator Installed - Nice!

How much room do you have between your fans and the face of your pulleys? I just built my own dual fan set up, and I'm curious as to what everyone else has "room" wise.
mattwhiteyanks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
tsetsaf

4" of "safe" room. Probably about another 3/4" if I want to push it.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
mattwhiteyanks1

How much further does it stick out compared to the factory radiator? Yours looks nice by the way. Really clean. I've got about 8", but I've also got an LS 5.3
Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
tsetsaf

It is the same depth as the factory radiator I believe on the top and the bottom. The fins are set inside the radiator a bit. If RnD chimes in at some point he could provide exact dimensions but they provide a dual fan with shroud option that would bolt up flush to the radiator adding an additional 1/2 -1" of space over what I have.

8" is a lot of space. I take it you used some sort of custom motor and tranny mounts? My 5.3 sits pretty much in a stock location. We notched the oil pan for the steering bar and chopped the cross-member for clearance.

The placement of the engine forced me to route the intake tube up and away from the radiator as I was getting a huge spike in temperature of the incoming air flow; hence the tubing coming up and over into the air box.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
mattwhiteyanks1

Yeah these arent typical mounts. Biggest thing is that I changed the radiator support quite a bit so I could tuck my radiator further into it. I've used a radiator/dual fan set up out of an 06 silverado. This isn't finish product by any means, but I'm happy with it so far.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
SparkyRnD

Our radiators are made to be the same dimensions as the stock units. The thickness at the tanks and top plate are 3-3.25". We have several options for fans, and the widest is 3" deep, so a total max thickness of 6.25", leaving lots of room.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
sangell

Bringing this from a 2.5 year deep sleep.

How is this radiator holding up? I have a leaking Griffin after 4500 miles and it will not being going back in the truck fixed or not.

Thanks
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
72MARIO

I have the same rad it cools very well on the engine side. It's been 2 summers no problems with it leaking.

You better watch your transmission tempature if only using the in rad cooler. Mine would hit 220 in very light traffic.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
sangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO View Post
I have the same rad it cools very well on the engine side. It's been 2 summers no problems with it leaking.

You better watch your transmission tempature if only using the in rad cooler. Mine would hit 220 in very light traffic.

Thank you, trans is a manual so i'm good there.
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote