The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
68Stepbed

Back in action!!!

For those that don't check the sub-forums, I've had a THREAD in the "Suspension" section for the TCI Engineering swap in my 68 stepper. I finally got the swap completed, the engine back in and running, and some final touches, adjustments, and alignment done just in time to make it to the NSRA Nationals in Louisville, KY last weekend. I finally got a brake issue sorted out the Wednesday night before the show and was able to take it for it's official first test drive that night, drove it to work Thursday, back home to load it in a trailer and head out for Louisville that evening. Then I went straight to the Autocross on Friday morning and started giving it the proper shakedown.

Overall, the truck did very well for the first time out on a whole new setup. The fastest cars were in the 42-44 second range and on my fourth or fifth run, I managed to get a best of 46.716. However, I couldn't seem to get any faster, staying in the mid 47's the rest of the day and all day on Saturday. The best run was while the parking lot was still cool with some overcast skies, but when the sun popped out and heated the surface, the Nitto tires just wouldn't grip. So I'll be putting on some shorter, stickier tires to run autocross events with.

I also have a few tweaks and adjustments to make with the shocks and alignment specs, but I should start getting faster soon!!

It felt so good to have the truck back up and running since I started the tear down back in February. Anyway, here's a few pics and videos of Slick back in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRz9U...ature=youtu.be

Yes, I know I was eating lots of cones. I wass till just trying to get a feel for the new suspension and how it feels and reacts. I'm going to have to change some driving habits.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system

Last edited by 68Stepbed; 08-12-2017 at 11:36 PM.
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
68 Stepper

Re: Back in action!!!

Looking and sounding great, wish my 68 was handling like yours!
68 Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
ovalshark

super sharp truck, and look like a blast!!!
ovalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Hellya! You've brought that truck along nicely from when I first knew of it. I still see the same truck, only improved. From the paint through the current upgrade of the upgraded suspension the changes have been minor to the eye and major to performance. Like I said, same truck only better!

How about that smile on your son? What's that worth? Great picture. You should get that one framed!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Stepper View Post
Looking and sounding great, wish my 68 was handling like yours!
Thank you! It's certainly been a long road to get it to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalshark View Post
super sharp truck, and look like a blast!!!
Thanks! It sure is a blast!! If we're ever at an event together, hit me up. I'll take ya for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hellya! You've brought that truck along nicely from when I first knew of it. I still see the same truck, only improved. From the paint through the current upgrade of the upgraded suspension the changes have been minor to the eye and major to performance. Like I said, same truck only better!

How about that smile on your son? What's that worth? Great picture. You should get that one framed!
Thanks, Tim! That means alot. My son has been helping me along the way with this project. He's had to endure some of the long nights in the garage with me, and putting up with my short fuse when things don't go right. He's mostly my gopher(go for this, go for that) but he's a huge help, at least when hes not run off or lost in his phone.

I may use one of those photos with him and I together as a cover photo on my Facebook page As for framing, that should be easy. We own a picture frame shop.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
35boulder

Very nice...thanks for the ride along!
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
GIZZ

Beautiful truck and sounds amazing!

'69 c10 panel, '75 c35 flatdeck car hauler
GIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
Beautiful truck and sounds amazing!
Ok. What the heck u for in that sweet truck.
Major power. Let's hear the engine and set up.
Of course we love pics!
Seriously awesome truck!
Mark
Posted via Mobile Device
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:43 PM   #9
71cheyennesuperlongb

Great job on the truck.It looks Great. Do the police ever give you grief over your YOM tag? I have one for my 71 I would like to register to it. Any trouble at DMV here? Thanks for any input.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 AM   #10
GIZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
Ok. What the heck u for in that sweet truck.
Major power. Let's hear the engine and set up.
Of course we love pics!
Seriously awesome truck!
Mark
Posted via Mobile Device
No, no this thread is all about your 68! Now that Photobucket is dead I'm just going to use YouTube for everything. By the way, how can I still see your Photobucket pictures? Are you paying for it? Or they will only be up a little longer.

'69 c10 panel, '75 c35 flatdeck car hauler
GIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #11
GR8-68

Beautiful truck and it sounds great

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #12
Mike C

Awesome. Truck looks great! Good times look like they were had by all. Nice to see your kid out there with you, I drag my 14 year old to all the car things I can trying to gin up enthusiasm for old iron.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #13
Boog
laying low

Sure looks like you had fun Matt.
Speaking of your son, what are your plans for his first vehicle? He's not too far from taking the old driver's exam. You would be building him a truck of his own or passing this one down?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
68Stepbed

Thanks for all the compliments, guys!

For power, it's a carbureted LS1 with a stock bottom end with all new Clevite bearings and Total Seal rings, Improved Racing F-body oil pan baffle kit and windage tray with crank scraper, mild cam, AFR 210cc heads, Vic Jr. intake, Holley 750HP carb, shorty headers, 2.5" pipe with Magnaflow mufflers. It's making 521 hp at 5900rpm, 472 ft/lbs at 4200rpm and the hp was still climbing, but we didn't run it any higher on the dyno. It's probably close to 540 hp at 6500rpm. It's backed up by a 700R4 with upgraded internals, Camaro valve body with shift kit, 2800 stall. Then a 72 truck 12 bolt with 4.11 gears and an Eaton LSD.

As for photbucket, I'm one of the lucky ones that gets to continue to use it until January, then I have to figure out something else.

My son is creeping up on "that age". He'll be turning 15 in December, and I'm sure he'll be wanting to be at the driver's license center that morning when they open. I may let him have a go in the truck on the autocross on a limited basis, but I really don't forsee this truck getting handed down. He has a few different ideas for his first vehicle, but he's not been too picky yet. We may end up with a squarebody C10 of some sort for a driver. He likes the 67-72 C10s, but kinda has his eyes on a 64-66. He even likes the 67-72 and 73-78 F100's. Of course we would LS swap them. LOL I told him I'd help him get a decent driver, but any toys or hot rods, he has to earn on his own. He'll appreciate it more if he has to work for it. He really wants my first car, which is an 83 ElCamino SS. My dad still owns it because it was my first car, which is also why he's attached himself to it. Again, if he wants it, he has to work and earn it.