The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

use 71-72 windshield trim on '70 truck

1970 c10
350 cu 350 auto

I have a 1970 c10 I restored last year and this year finishing up some of misc items.
Like many others on this board I could not get the repop windshield trim to install with the precision gasket. The trim just ins't bend correctly it seems like. this is the repop long leg trim that goes behind the glass. I had the correct gasket for that long leg trim but just wont go in with the trim. I temp ended up installed the gasket only, without trim.
we tried everything and one guy that helped works at a glass shop.

I found some OEM trim locally from a 1972 c10. This trim has the short leg on it and from what I've found does not go behind the glass like the long leg trim on a 1969-1970.
since the cabs are the same from 69-72 and the windshields are the same i thought i could get a 1972 gasket and use the OEM short leg trim..
seems possible, anyone try this?
it also appears the trim can go on after the windshield is installed but not sure on that one.
any input appreciated.
thanks, Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: use 71-72 windshield trim on '70 truck

The 67/70 trim seats deeper in the gasket than 71/72, that's the only difference.
Save yourself some grief and buy your windshield gasket from "Precision"
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
The 67/70 trim seats deeper in the gasket than 71/72, that's the only difference.
Save yourself some grief and buy your windshield gasket from "Precision"
I used a precision gasket, twice in fact. The gasket isn't the problem, the repop trim is. I found oem 72 trim and hoping to use it on my '70. I understand the trim has short leg and seats shallower in the gasket on the 71-72
I can get the gasket installed without the trim but can't with repop long leg trim which needs to be installed in gasket before installing in the truck.
The trouble with the trim that sets deeper in the gasket is that the trim leg actually goes behind the glass in the Gasket. That's why causes all the headaches.
So basically I'm asking if
1. The short leg oem trim with short leg gasket made for a 71-72 will work on a '70. Windshields and cabs are the same so I'm hoping yes.
2. Does the short leg trim on a 71-72 windshield go in after gasket and glass are installed.
Thanks.
Mark
Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
harpo231

There are threads here where they explain how to tie trim and gasket together to install...
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Rufas

I had the same problem with the trim fitting in the rubber channel. I contacted several glass shops in my area. Once they found out I had repop trim, from Brothers and LMC, they refused to try an install. I did find one shop that came to my house. They spent about four hours and installed the windshield four times. At that point I gave up and threw the trim out, ordered a Precision Trim gasket without trim. Windshield was installed in just a few minutes with the Precision gasket. I don't have trim, but I do have a properly installed windshield.

I also had LMC trim and gasket for the rear window. Pure crap. They did manage to install the rear window with the trim, but the gasket did not lay flat, was puckered and the gasket stuck out about 1/2 inch from the cab body. Threw out that trim too and got a trimless gasket from Precision. Gasket now sits correct without the pucker.

I also had the rear window from LMC. When I compared that window to my original rear window it was almost 1/2 smaller at the bottom of the window then the original rear window. Stay away from LCM. Just more crap. I ended just throwing out the rear glass, it would cost more to send it back then the refund they allowed.

Lesson learn don't buy repop trim or glass from LMC. It's just crap and a waste of time an money. Use only Precision Trim gaskets. What should have been a few hundred dollars for a windshield cost me hundreds more.

As far as I'm concerned LMC is nothing but a scam selling products that don't fit or work.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
I had the same problem with the trim fitting in the rubber channel. I contacted several glass shops in my area. Once they found out I had repop trim, from Brothers and LMC, they refused to try an install. I did find one shop that came to my house. They spent about four hours and installed the windshield four times. At that point I gave up and threw the trim out, ordered a Precision Trim gasket without trim. Windshield was installed in just a few minutes with the Precision gasket. I don't have trim, but I do have a properly installed windshield.

I also had LMC trim and gasket for the rear window. Pure crap. They did manage to install the rear window with the trim, but the gasket did not lay flat, was puckered and the gasket stuck out about 1/2 inch from the cab body. Threw out that trim too and got a trimless gasket from Precision. Gasket now sits correct without the pucker.

I also had the rear window from LMC. When I compared that window to my original rear window it was almost 1/2 smaller at the bottom of the window then the original rear window. Stay away from LCM. Just more crap. I ended just throwing out the rear glass, it would cost more to send it back then the refund they allowed.

Lesson learn don't buy repop trim or glass from LMC. It's just crap and a waste of time an money. Use only Precision Trim gaskets. What should have been a few hundred dollars for a windshield cost me hundreds more.

As far as I'm concerned LMC is nothing but a scam selling products that don't fit or work.
Yes. I'm with you on LMC. Learned the hard way. Returned everything back to them
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
CC69Rat

I used re-pop trim from Trim Parts and a Precision gasket. I too tried about 4 times, I tried the 71-72 trim and various types of trim pieces, including OEM 67-70 long style. I finally got it. The trick ? KY jelly.

When you put the windshield gasket onto the windshield, .. in that channel ONLY, put a hefty coat of KY in that grove. Of course it's going to be slippy getting it on the windshield but once you get it tight around the edge and pulled where it's supposed to be ( the normal fit on the windshield) .. flip the glass.

Install your 67-70 trim. As you do, pull the gasket toward you and down until you get the grove to seat. .. not only in the gasket but behind the glass and tape it good to the glass. Not multiple layers.. just one layer of blue tape. Work your way all the way around the glass like this. Taping about every 8" as you go. I like to leave about 12" on both directions of the upper corners. I'll tell you why in a sec. .. Making sure the upper corners of the trim are as far up as they'll go.

Now for the rope. Feed the rope in, behind each run of your tape. Make sure when you push the rope down into the gasket, it's down absolutely as far as it can go, all the way around the glass. Criss Cross at the top like I'm sure you have been.

Here's the Key - Put a good heavy coat of KY around the pinch weld where your windshield seats into the cab. KY is water based, and wont hurt your paint like a petroleum based lubricant. It doesnt drip, you wont get spray all over the dash, etc.

Now, sit the windshield into the cab, making sure both upper corners go in first. ( this is why you leave about 12" away from the top corners) In my opinion, you will have to have two people. Three helps a bunch. The third person is your rope person. Two people keep slight upward pressure and down on the glass as you rope it in.

Remember the KY in the grove of the windshield and the gasket? This is going to allow the glass to move in the gasket as you work it in. This is why the chrome wont stay in. Youre actually pulling it off the 'hook' inside that gasket as you rope it in. (Ex. the gasket has to flex and pull around the glass but it cant because the rubber kinda sticks to the glass. ) As you pull over to one corner, do the other side.. Then down, and around the lower edges. You'll notice the windshield will slip into place.. now have your two guys outside keep an open hand, slight pressure down on the glass as you pull the lower lip over. Making sure that secondary lip is over the pinch weld all the way around the windshield (from the inside)

I promise, .. you'll see better results. Give it a shot. I used the cheap stuff from CVS / Walgreens (whatever pharmacy you have ) KY will just wipe off of course but the key is keep it out of that grove where your trim goes. Good luck man.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)

Last edited by CC69Rat; 03-11-2018 at 07:19 PM.
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
To answer your questions.....

1. Yes you can use the '71-'72 gasket and trim on your '70

2. No you can't install the trim after the windshield is installed. If you do get that accomplished you are a better man than I....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 07-25-2020 at 09:47 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
To answer your questions.....

1. Yes you can use the '71-'72 gasket and shallow trim on your '70

2. No you can't install the trim after the windshield is installed. If you do get that accomplished you are a better man than I....

LockDoc
Thanks! And all replies. Good info as always.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
notsolo

On my 71 I had shallow trim, Bought Precision gasket and new glass. My biggest problem was getting the unit, glass and gasket with trim to stay as 1 piece. No amount of tape etc, would stick to the glass, cleaned it 2x. I did most of the install by myself, it took about 4 hrs to get it all settled with the trim and gasket. Rope, soapy water all helped, still a challenge....If you can get the 3 pieces to stay together, you can pull it in to the truck in 30-45 min. Good luck....Wish I had used some KY jelly, sounds like it could have saved a could hrs of hassle.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
On my 71 I had shallow trim, Bought Precision gasket and new glass. My biggest problem was getting the unit, glass and gasket with trim to stay as 1 piece. No amount of tape etc, would stick to the glass, cleaned it 2x. I did most of the install by myself, it took about 4 hrs to get it all settled with the trim and gasket. Rope, soapy water all helped, still a challenge....If you can get the 3 pieces to stay together, you can pull it in to the truck in 30-45 min. Good luck....Wish I had used some KY jelly, sounds like it could have saved a could hrs of hassle.

I think the use of 3 people (2 on outside and 1 on inside) is more important than all of the other stuff as far as ease of installation....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Did you start with the top or bottom? I've heard both methods used not sure
Which is best.
Mark
Old 03-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #13
notsolo

I put the top in 1st, extra people would help, keep pressure up and in while working the bottom with rope. Also a set of nylon flat tools, that have slight hook on the end.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
brown7373

Just make sure you use 71-72 trim with 71-72 rubber gasket, or vice versa. You can't use 71-72 trim on a 70 gasket. They will all look the same when finished, but the length of the trim has to match the depth of the groove in the rubber gasket.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote