The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
Orange67

Re: My first C-10 Build 67 SWB Stepside

A PO of my truck yanked the tore up 327 and dropped a 305 in it. Not sure of the accessory bracket situation at that point, but when my dad picked this truck up he dropped a late 70's 350 in but he used the late 70's brackets. He had to modify the harness a little, but he was already doing that for the HEI. You might try to source some era correct brackets for yours, sure makes it easier when I go for fan belts. Nice work so far, keep on truckin'!

And crap. I just re-read your post, and you already figured it out. Sorry man.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Mcmour67

No prob Orange67. Yeah, an option was to just find a later model SBC and pull everything off of it. That would include the power steering pump and most likely the alternator. I already had both for a 69ish? so figured it would be cheaper to hunt down the right brackets. It took a lot longer and probably cost just as much. Sometimes a shortcut takes longer, and sometimes cheaper costs more!
Mcmour67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Mcmour67

So with the engine in and running I started to investigate the brakes. They never worked right when my brother owned it and he never figured out why. After many painstaking days of research, I figured it out. It wasn't the ideal outcome. It has front disc and rear drum. The PO put a booster off of a C/K20 to my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong. This booster would probably worked with my set up but the seals were dry rotted and it was full of rust inside. JUNK! I took apart the master to inspect the seals and found the master to be a disc/disc master from a 71 and up. That is one reason they never worked properly. It too was dry rotted and full of rust. JUNK!! If you look at the picture you can see this setup was a pre combination valve setup. It has a separate metering valve, distribution block and should have a proportioning valve inline to the rear brakes. It does not have a proportioning valve. There's the second reason the brakes never worked. Talk about dangerous. I cant believe my dad and my brother and the PO drove this truck around like this. So now I am in need of a new booster/master/valve combo and new lines all around.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Mcmour67

I also had some time to work on my steering issues. Another very dangerous thing the PO hacked. Below is the shaft he rigged up.

I removed it and found that I could not save the steering column. The PO ground the splines off the shaft and notched it. If anyone has any use for this old column, let me know. I have no idea if it is a stock column, it may be a later model non-tilt.

I removed the old column and ordered a new tilt from Flaming River. It is a 32" paintable part# FR20006. It cost $392.89. I believe the stock columns are around 35" so I got a shorter one due to my steering shaft angle. I figured it would reduce the angle the closer to the firewall I went. I could have got a 30" but this will work. Here are some pics of it dry fit.

The steering column has a 1" DD shaft so I need a 1"DD to 3/4"DD Ujoint. A shaft will go from there to a 3/4"DD to 3/4"DD Ujoint. From there I will have another shaft with a heim joint going to a vibration dampening 3/4"DD to 3/4" 36 spline Ujoint to the steering box. That is about another $500 for all of that. So now its the save some money waiting game until the steering and brakes are complete.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Devil Pup

Nice project so far. Looks like you are making progress. Maybe im confused on what you're doing with your steering box but $500 for the DD joints and a Shaft? you could use the two joints below and just a standard DD shaft and accomplish what you're going for i think and be money ahead

https://www.brotherstrucks.com/47-91...info/CSC72UJ1/
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/47-91...tinfo/CSC72UJ/
Might wanna give em a call on this one, i cant remember if its a DD shaft on both ends, pretty sure but ya. .
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/47-91...tinfo/CSC72SH/
Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Mcmour67

Those are a little cheaper than the flaming river ones. I'd like the 36spline to 3/4 to be a vibration resistor Ujoint at the box. The one I'm looking at is $217. Plus two regular u joints at @$60, were at $337. Shaft is $50 for stainless and stainless heim joint is $95. After shipping were up to around $500. I'll have to check out brothers to see if they have a vibration resistor for less. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
Devil Pup

Adds up quick ha. Brothers can order pretty much any joint you need. just gotta ask the salesman to take the extra step on getting pricing on it because they get it through a third party of coarse. The shaft they sell is not stainless i dont think but im sure they can get you a stainless one the same way.