The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #3826
McMurphy

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

It has been my experience in every vehicle I have driven, Civilian and Military, that the lights stop flashing when you have the 4ways on, and your turn signal indicators will stay lit as well. If after you charge your battery and check your 4ways again, and they only flash 7-8 times and stop I suggest reaching in and feeling your 4way controler/flasher see if it is uncommonly warm to the touch.

Same thing if your head light switch seems twitchy.

These things tend to stop working when they get too hot due to an internal short IIRC.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #3827
57truckguy

57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #3828
Woogeroo

Wink Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post

I do have a question. If you have the flashers on and step on the brakes do the turn signal indicators on the dash light up steady. It's been so long since I drove a 60's truck or car I can't remember. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to do that since the flasher and brake lights are the same bulb.

My 1965 C10 does this... flashers on and flashing-flashing, if I hit the brake the blinker indicators on the dash(stock 1965 dash with gauges) go solid.

However, my steering column is a 1971... and I wired in the flasher unit after I bought the truck, when I realized it was possible. I was discussing some of this stuff on another old truck board and a fella explained it to me.

dunno if that helps you or not, but that is what mine do as well.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #3829
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Not sure on the ???'s but sounds like it might be a low battery issue....

Truck is looking great...better get it together so you can get an appraisal while the Barrett Jackson comp's are still fresh
Thanks, and I did charge the battery. It didn't seem low judging by the charger. The flashers do flash longer now.

I hope to get the apprasial this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Yes, IF you have the 4way flashers on and hit the brake they will stop flashing, at least they do on mine and I have any upgraded wiring kit from EZ Wire..
Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
The flasher do the same thing on my 2000 chevy work truck ( 3500 HD bucket truck )
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
It has been my experience in every vehicle I have driven, Civilian and Military, that the lights stop flashing when you have the 4ways on, and your turn signal indicators will stay lit as well. If after you charge your battery and check your 4ways again, and they only flash 7-8 times and stop I suggest reaching in and feeling your 4way controler/flasher see if it is uncommonly warm to the touch.

Same thing if your head light switch seems twitchy.

These things tend to stop working when they get too hot due to an internal short IIRC.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
My 1965 C10 does this... flashers on and flashing-flashing, if I hit the brake the blinker indicators on the dash(stock 1965 dash with gauges) go solid.

However, my steering column is a 1971... and I wired in the flasher unit after I bought the truck, when I realized it was possible. I was discussing some of this stuff on another old truck board and a fella explained it to me.

dunno if that helps you or not, but that is what mine do as well.

-W
Thanks guys for all the reinforcement.

Like I mentioned above I did put a charge on the battery. It didn't seem low judging by the charger, but the flashers are working good now. The turn signals don't do anything. The only thing that I have noticed is with the brakes on and when I turn on a turn signal, the brake light goes out. Remember nothing is hooked up on the front as far as lights go.

Today I installed the wiper motor and drive. I hot wired the wipers to make sure everything moves like it should. No abnormal noises.

Installed the cowl panel and hood to cowl seal.

Hooked up the headlight relays to the battery.

Got the fan relay all hooked up, but the ign wire to the temp sensor for the relay. Trying to figure out the best point to pull power from. I did hot wire the fan to make sure I had the polarity correct. It sure is quiet.
Attached Images

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #3830
Alan's Classic

Forgot to post this. Here is a thread about truck prices at Barrett-Jackson.

This one went for $32,450 with fees included. I noticed it has a points dizzy, power drum brakes, no AC, no fan shroud, not a custom cab and I believe a small window. I'll show the appraiser when he comes out.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #3831
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
This one went for $32,450 with fees included. I noticed it has a points dizzy, power drum brakes, no AC, no fan shroud, not a custom cab and I believe a small window.
and....what looks to be Panther Juice wheels ....i just don't understand, but to each his own

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #3832
57truckguy

I agree, the wheels are hidious,, 5 spoke Cragers would have been much better..
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #3833
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
and....what looks to be Panther Juice wheels ....i just don't understand, but to each his own
what are Panther Juice wheels?

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"] I did hot wire the fan to make sure I had the polarity correct. It sure is quiet.
This made me laugh when I read it.... from somewhere deep in my automotive memory I heard the haunting sound of a loud SHERRRRRANNNNNNGGGGGGG TANG TANG TANG TANG from a fan hitting something on start up.

that is one of those days when you cannot seem to shut the engine off fast enough!! LOL

By comparison, quiet is GOOD !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #3834
65Custom

did any body notice the body work, that drivers door looks like a bowl and I'm sure it is not a reflection, I think Alan's should appraise for much more just based on the level of quality of workman ship

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #3835
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
what are Panther Juice wheels?
just a cookie cutter cast chrome wheel made by Panther Wheels...not worthy of being on a nice, classic truck IMO

My Build threads:

Pics:

Previous Rides:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #3836
joesscamaro

I've been doing a lot of catching up recently with your thread. I started on page 23 a few weeks ago, and have read a few pages a night, until I finally caught up. Your truck looks amazing and I can't wait to see what it appraises for. You do great work and have got me going again on my '65. Which brings me to a question. I'm pricing what it would cost for someone to blast the interior and exterior of my cab and both doors...nothing else. I've had a company quote me $750 and I'm waiting from another company to get back with me. Does $750 seem like a reasonable price?
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #3837
flips72

allen, trucks coming along nicely, yours is sure alot nicer than the green one at barrett jackson so it should appraise for at least a half millionas far as the brake light going out might be a ground problem.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #3838
57truckguy

Yes sarge, when I started my 57 had the fan on the engine.. srarted ran fine.. let idle for a while back out on drive way revved up the motor and put a perfect circle in the brand new alumiun raditor when the blades flexed with additional RPMs. 3 gallone of anti freeze on the ground and a $150 raditor shot to He##$$%^&&*(). Called summit ordered new efan and new raditor. 10 years ago and no problems since. at least with the raditor. LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #3839
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, the wheels are hidious,, 5 spoke Cragers would have been much better..
X2

Quote:
This made me laugh when I read it.... from somewhere deep in my automotive memory I heard the haunting sound of a loud SHERRRRRANNNNNNGGGGGGG TANG TANG TANG TANG from a fan hitting something on start up.

that is one of those days when you cannot seem to shut the engine off fast enough!! LOL

By comparison, quiet is GOOD !!
When I was little we had a cat jump thru the engine fan of a 72 LTD 390. It lived, but made a lot of racket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
did any body notice the body work, that drivers door looks like a bowl and I'm sure it is not a reflection, I think Alan's should appraise for much more just based on the level of quality of workman ship
Yeah, I noticed.

Quote:
just a cookie cutter cast chrome wheel made by Panther Wheels...not worthy of being on a nice, classic truck IMO
Glad you defined that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
I've been doing a lot of catching up recently with your thread. I started on page 23 a few weeks ago, and have read a few pages a night, until I finally caught up. Your truck looks amazing and I can't wait to see what it appraises for. You do great work and have got me going again on my '65. Which brings me to a question. I'm pricing what it would cost for someone to blast the interior and exterior of my cab and both doors...nothing else. I've had a company quote me $750 and I'm waiting from another company to get back with me. Does $750 seem like a reasonable price?
Thanks Joe for the dedication to reading this thread and also for the comments. To answer your question, the price of $750 seems high. I paid $200-$250 for someone to do my cab. The doors shoulon't be much more than that. I used repops on my truck so I don't have a price to blast the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
allen, trucks coming along nicely, yours is sure alot nicer than the green one at barrett jackson so it should appraise for at least a half millionas far as the brake light going out might be a ground problem.
Thanks, and I'm still waitint for the appraiser to call. If the brake lights are working then ground should be good correct?

Quote:
Yes sarge, when I started my 57 had the fan on the engine.. srarted ran fine.. let idle for a while back out on drive way revved up the motor and put a perfect circle in the brand new alumiun raditor when the blades flexed with additional RPMs. 3 gallone of anti freeze on the ground and a $150 raditor shot to He##$$%^&&*(). Called summit ordered new efan and new raditor. 10 years ago and no problems since. at least with the raditor. LOL
That had to suck.

No updates to post, but I will raise the question again.

Like I mentioned above I did put a charge on the battery. It didn't seem low judging by the charger, but the flashers are working good now. The turn signals don't do anything. The only thing that I have noticed is with the brakes on and when I turn on a turn signal, the brake light goes out. Remember nothing is hooked up on the front as far as lights go.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #3840
57truckguy

In my vehicle both of the turn signal lights had to be hooked up and working to get them to flash... I did the same thing you are doing and you must complete the turn light connections to see if they are working. Needs both bulbs to complete the circuit.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #3841
Alan's Classic

Quote:
In my vehicle both of the turn signal lights had to be hooked up and working to get them to flash... I did the same thing you are doing and you must complete the turn light connections to see if they are working. Needs both bulbs to complete the circuit.
I feel like an idiot now. If I would have thought of the simple stuff I would have thought of that. Your right if a bulb is burnt it wouldn't flash. I'll mock up a front turn and see what happens. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #3842
65Custom

I was going to mention a digital flasher relay too, but the dash lights probably would not flash if you didnt already have one

My Build Thread

I must be
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #3843
Alan's Classic

Quote:
I was going to mention a digital flasher relay too, but the dash lights probably would not flash if you didnt already have one
Do you have any more info on this. In the mean time I'll try to do a search about it.

I hooked up a bulb for the front turn signal and the turn signals work. I did both circuits. High beam indicator is staying on, but I will deal with that once the headlights are in.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #3844
57truckguy

Good work Alan we all need a 2/4 upside the head ever once in a while.. LOL
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #3845
65Custom

Quote:
Do you have any more info on this. In the mean time I'll try to do a search about it.

I hooked up a bulb for the front turn signal and the turn signals work. I did both circuits. High beam indicator is staying on, but I will deal with that once the headlights are in.
Google search should turn up some good info as I understand when running LED's of any type you need a digital/electronic flasher,

The voltage is so low on led's that they don't generally draw enough amps to pull a regular analog flasher

You are running rear LED's right? at least I thought you were

My Build Thread

I must be
Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #3846
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Good work Alan we all need a 2/4 upside the head ever once in a while.. LOL
I need that a lot sometimes.

Quote:
Google search should turn up some good info as I understand when running LED's of any type you need a digital/electronic flasher,

The voltage is so low on led's that they don't generally draw enough amps to pull a regular analog flasher

You are running rear LED's right? at least I thought you were
Yes, rears only. Right now they are working. I will save that for a later project once it's together. I did google it, but need some more time to read up on it. Thanks for the heads up,
Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #3847
65Custom

Maybe your new fuse block and harness already had a digital/electronic flasher installed I think they will work with both types of systems but don't quote me on that

My Build Thread

I must be
Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #3848
Alan's Classic

It appraised at 60K.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3849
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Cha-ching!!! congrats buddy

My Build threads:

Pics:

Previous Rides:
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #3850
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
It appraised at 60K.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your going to donate it????
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE: