The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
HRD

Best shocks to order?

What would be the best shocks to order?
Going to be ordering new shocks real soon and would like to know really what to order.
Truck is a 53 GMC (frame) 1/2 ton. Pretty much stock. The only difference currently is the size/type of tires and wheels I'm using. P235/75R15's on spoke steel wheels. Still running a straight 6, 3 on the tree, stock torque tube rear end and drum breaks.
Trucks doesn't see a lot of work, just putting around mostly.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Best shocks to order?

Id just grab a good quality set from the parts store...Unless you got something else in mind....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
HRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Id just grab a good quality set from the parts store...Unless you got something else in mind....
I would rather buy local but none of my parts stores tells me they have anything for my truck.
ASC, Zone, Orally nor Advance
Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
vintovka

All I can say is Rancho replaced my shocks after more than 18 years under their lifetime guarantee. They even paid shipping both ways.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If you go to summit and do a search on shocks...narrow your search to universal shocks....choose the brand you want....and it'll bring up a list of options for extended and retracted lentgh....upper and lower mount style...maybe this'll help.....https://www.summitracing.com/search/...-shocks-struts

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
whitedog76

If you check out Rockauto, they have ACDelco, Gabriel, and Monroe. I’ve always used Monroe on my personal rides, but in reality I don’t think it matters much.

I’m not much of a fan of Rockauto, after a bad experience. But, you could use the part numbers and see if one of your local stores can do anything. It’s a common problem with older vehicles, it seems like they only list parts for vehicles less than 20 years old.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post

I’m not much of a fan of Rockauto, after a bad experience. But, you could use the part numbers and see if one of your local stores can do anything. It’s a common problem with older vehicles, it seems like they only list parts for vehicles less than 20 years old.
Returning wrong or defective stuff may be a PITA and could wipe out any savings over local stores. Will say NAPA and others seem to charge way too much
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
Driver_WT

Quote:
If you check out Rockauto, they have ACDelco, Gabriel, and Monroe. I’ve always used Monroe on my personal rides, but in reality I don’t think it matters much.

I use Rockauto a lot and the experience has been good. I am in Canada, so I don't expect to return parts as the cost of shipping is sometimes more than the refund that I will get. But if you confident that you know the part that you want, Rockauto works for me for parts that I cannot find locally. Fast shipping too.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
whitedog76

Not to take over the thread, but it took me almost 6 weeks to get a $300 core charge refunded to me. If you want to speak to a live person, Rockauto isn’t the the place.

If I had returned the part to a local store, my refund would’ve been before I walked out the door.

I’ve had great luck with Speedway, Jegs, and ordering online from Advance Auto Parts.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
sack54

Try Napa online if you have old stock number use that part number it will show parts for that number . part number conversion.
sack54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #11
mr48chev

I use Rock Auto a lot to get a part number as Whitedog76 suggested. With that part number you can do a search and find that part from other sources or find it locally..

Prices may vary with the regular "local" parts houses like NAPA, Autozone or O'Reilly's around the country just due to Location. Vintovka lives where the rest of us go play tourist and prices are high unless you want to drive a lot of miles to larger cities.

On Chassis parts I have had great luck getting the parts number off Rock Auto and finding the part on Ebay and getting Moog Chassis parts for low prices from vendors that buy out warehouse lots and figure they will make their percentage and not do a lot of work on seeing what the part fits or if it is a "rare" part. You have to know what you are buying as there is no returning the parts.

This should be the rock auto page for 53 3100 shocks. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+absorber,7556

If you have amazon prime they show the Monroe 5826 for 3 bucks less each shipped. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_50da6ux6nk_e

That is why one shops around. Be real careful on part numbers on Amazon though as they all too often throw out a "almost just like" wrong parts number.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
mr48chev

OReillys shows that same Monroe 5826 for 38.99

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...r/5826/4467801

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
joedoh

be aware on amazon: if you select the free shipping and do not upgrade to prime, I had a situation where they HELD the order so it wouldnt ship right away. amazon stocks some things but most of it is order handling through the manufacturer/distributor. I ordered some shocks that were free regular shipping, after a week I emailed and they said I should wait for handling time or upgrade to prime for two day shipping.

I called the manufacturer, they said they had them in stock and hadnt even seen my order yet. I cancelled the amazon order and ordered them direct, they honored the free shipping, normally they charged for shipping for direct orders, and I had them the next day because the warehouse was only one state away. I had them in my hand before amazon even confirmed me cancelling the order, and in the cancellation email they said "if they already shipped you may be charged". the distributor said dont worry about it, they hadnt seen the order but if they did they would flag it.

if its stuff like bearings or calipers or pads or rotors, I get them in town, because if I have a problem it easy to exchange. for sensors or control arms I will price shop between amazon and rock auto. rock auto is just a network of auto parts stores (most likely the hub or warehouse stores) with fixed pricing. so you are buying it "local" somewhere else. sometimes they screw you on purpose, I ordered a headlight for a colorado and they sent me a silverado headlight that was broken.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
HRD

Thanks everyone.
I did figure out some to get and mail ordered them.
First time I'd ever heard of Rock Auto. They were the cheapest once I figured out the part #'s and searched a little. Monroe's 5826 on front and 33049 on rear.
The last mail order I had made was for tail lights, blinker set up, 2 or 3 other small parts from one of the big name parts catalog company for these trucks. I order these parts on September 7th and they finally showed up on October 6th.
I ordered these shocks this past Monday morning (15th) and they were on my porch on Tuesday (16th). This was with standard delivery also. I will be checking out their web site more now for sure.

These are the shocks I took off yesterday evening. I collapsed them down last night as I was finishing up with installing the new ones. Went back down a little while ago and yep, they still collapsed. Still had all the rubber garments though.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
joedoh

unless they are gas charged shocks they wont spring back. most older trucks did not use gas charged shocks. you will see a big improvement in ride with the monroes.

I bet the month-long shipping company name started with L and ended with C. I just waited 10 days from them and I only live 3 hours away.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
whitedog76

The last set of shocks I bought was for my Trailblazer, they were the Monroe OE Spectrum, which replaced the OE Bilsteins.

Initially, I thought they were a little stiff, but with that being said... They seem to respond a lot quicker. Not to mention they improved handling 10 fold. So all in all, it was a much better ride than the car ever had.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
HRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
unless they are gas charged shocks they wont spring back. most older trucks did not use gas charged shocks. you will see a big improvement in ride with the monroes.

I bet the month-long shipping company name started with L and ended with C. I just waited 10 days from them and I only live 3 hours away.
Nope, CP. I guess shi? just happens.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
HRD

Quote:
The last set of shocks I bought was for my Trailblazer, they were the Monroe OE Spectrum, which replaced the OE Bilsteins.

Initially, I thought they were a little stiff, but with that being said... They seem to respond a lot quicker. Not to mention they improved handling 10 fold. So all in all, it was a much better ride than the car ever had.
Monroe OE Spectrum on front. Regular gas charged on back. Trying to rain here today so I haven't carried it for a ride yet. Quite sure it didn't hurt nothing changing them anyway.